A stoner's guide to quitting nicotine

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Freedom, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Agreed. Also, one-hitter's are really cheap, €0.50 here.
    [​IMG]

2. You know what i did as soon as i read this? lit up a cig. :(:(

I'm not ready yet :mad: i wish i was, thanks for the help, I'm favouriting this link so it's there when I need it! :D congrats on quitting!

I wish I was back to the days I only smoked ganja...

3. The word denial springs to mind. :p

Wait. What?! :confused:

It's true that I smoke pure bud joints, but you gotta maake them last longer than a cigarette or you will bankrupt yourself. :) Smoking a spliff with baccy in it gives the user an initial rush thaat you don't get without the tobacco, if you want to quit nicotine you muct be prepared to give this feeling up. Thaat thought scared me at first, but after a month I'd forgotten what I was missing. :)
    How goes it with the parents NYC? :)

Lol. :rolleyes: That comment is neither helpful to my guide, anyone else reading it or yourself dude. If you have absorbed what was on the first page of this guide, you would remember that preparation before quitting is paramount to the processs, expecting to quit inside the five mins it takes you to read this is unrealistic, you're not giving your brain even a fighting chance at quitting.

I agree that you're not ready, but only because you have decided that and are sticking to the decision like glue. Try to remember that whilst this is an addiction, it is also a choice.

Don't put yourself under so much pressure man. Maybe the guide has just started you thinking about smoking differently, go with it and see where you end up. No one is making you do this. :)

Indeed, and you read the guide in the first place for a reason. You acknowledge above that you don't want to smoke nicotine but I expect you are not acknowledging it to yourself. ;)

Good luck wiith whatever you decide man, thanks for reaadding the guide, I hope it helps you one day. :)

Hey Tim! That piece looks tasty! :smoking: I got me a spoon pipe recently, I don't like it much though :(, it's a bit un lady-like. :eek:

4. Any way you quit is a good way, I used the three step method:
    1. Crush empty pack of smokes.
    2. Throw in trash can.
    3. Avoid people at all costs for a week or two.

5. Yeah, that's a fancy looking one all right, the ones we get here for €.50 are just plain glass, with a larger opening at one end. They're handy for out and about, I've never had any luck with glass spoons, I always end up breaking 'em!
    It doesn't really matter how your pipe looks, as long as it hits smoothly. ;)

Good Luck to everyone trying to quit!:hello:

6. Cheers, Freedom for not only becoming a non-smoker, but also for helping others learn how to embrace the "non-smoker" lifestyle! During the quitting cigarettes process, mental ultimatums are helpful. Being a non-smoker is Better than being a smoker, period. After a year passes, when smoking occurs to you, you can experience the glad thought that you are a non-smoker.:)
    Also, thanks for serving up straight the issue of mouth ulcers. Many, many people are never told about this, and it can be quite disconcerting. In essence, when you quit smoking, you build a new oral lining by shedding much of the previous one. I found that brushing gently, flossing gently, and gargling (at least 4 times daily, for at least 30 secs. each time. alternating organic mouthwash and warm salt water) helps speed the mouth "shedding". Gross, I know, but true and helpful, as was your OP and all your subsequent replies.

+rep for enhancing the freedom! :hello:

7. Im a little confused, my mother has quit, as i already mentioned here, but sometimes says "You know what i did for you? i quit smoking" and then i think Wow, didnt she want to quit for herself and her family? she is now, as you call it, a smug ex-smoker. She occasionally says that she wants a cigarette. She has not smoked since she quit, which is a good thing. Now when i smell stale cig smoke its even MORE disgusting, hah. My father has set a 'quit date' for very soon, and said he did once quit a long time ago using nicotine gum. Hopefully he doesnt have to struggle to quit, i feel really bad for him, because I can already see him aging and his health fading. =[

8. Just want to add, i have only smoked a spliff[backy+bud] once in my life, it was a while ago, but i could not take more then a few hits without feeling like i was going to gag. Every little puff i would cough my lungs out. It was horrible.

9. Cool post dude, +rep backatcha. :) Thanks for the kind words and for adding valuable info to the guide. :wave:

10. i used the gum recently and quit june 13 havnt even took a drag...i quit the gum after a week and a half its so good to be nicoteen free.....for real.

11. Hmm, one of two things is happening here. Either your mother is resenting her decision to quit or she is trying to show you how much you mean to her by reminding you what a huge deal it has been for her, yet she was happy to do it for you.
    Let's hope it's the latter. :rolleyes:
    I must confess it concerns me too that there's no mention of her doing it for herself. If she's quit under duress or she resents it, it won't last. Have you noticed her becoming depressed at all? Is she still putting on weight?

Have you asked her if she has experienced any benefits yet? Try and encourage her to do this, acknowledging the benefits of quitting out loud can really help.

She'll get there, it's hard on you too. :) This can be a very long process for some, continue to support her as best you can and always sympathise, even when you don't ;).

Re: your dad, that's great! Gluck to him. :) Don't forget he can probably repair the vast majority of the damage done to his health over the years. Cool huh? :D

Hold that thought. If you never get started, you don't need to worry about this shitty drug. Bud's where it's at. :metal:

12. Maybe you were less addicted than I am. Because its not only other people and the anger thing, but without cigarettes, I start getting depression, I feel like total shit (nausea, pains all over my body, headaches), and I cant sleep without a cigarette right before bed either. So I cant just do what you did.

Also,related to this, I was over at a friends house, and I told him I was gonna have a cigarette (because I thought I was gonna have to go outside) but he said it was ok to smoke inside. Then, my friend and his friend also lit up cigarettes and while I knew my friend smoked I was surprised to see his friend smoke because I havent seen him much, but I still have seen him enough where I would know if he smoked or not. He said that he just smokes when around people who smoke or if he has had a rough day, but he is not addicted. Being a cig smoker myself, I know he will become addicted as that is how basically everyone starts and I wish I could do/say something. The most surprising thing though is he already has weed, so he doesnt need cigs for a rough day, since hes not addicted yet. Any ideas? I was gonna tell him look at all the people trying to quit, but I knew about how so many people wanted to quit when I started and that didnt stop me from starting.

13. That rocks dude. Well done. :hello: Feels good huh? ;)

14. Yeah sorry man, I didn't think that was great/helpful advice either. :p Good to get different perspectives though I guess. :)

greenbliss, all the symptoms you describe are to be expected, quitting is tough. :( Coming out the other side of the addiction fucking rules though! ;)

You raise an interesting point man and I'm afraid I don't have the answer. Most people start smoking at a youngish age, kids not only have a tendency to think they are invincible but they also think they know best. :rolleyes:
    I knew all the dangers when I started smoking, it didn't stop me either.
    With age comes maturity. All I feel I can offer is in this guide on how to quit. If I knew how to stop people starting, I'd bottle it and sell it for a gazillion pounds! :smoking:
    Let's hope he sees the light before he gets even more hooked. :)

15. Unfortunately, this kid is like 20 or 21, so he should know better. I am old enough to use this site, and as such, im not hanging out with 14 year olds.

16. 21 isn't that old either man. How old were you when you started smoking? Personally, I 'knew' better when I started when I was 12, didn't stop me starting though. :rolleyes:

If your friend only smokes around other people, that indicates that the other people have something to do with it. Subconsciously he probably has the whole 'it makes me look cool' thing going on, this is not a mature approach to a choice such as 'should I consume nicotine?'
    So even if he is 21 and you believe he is old enough to know better, he clearly does still have some maturing to do.:)
    How many people do you know/have you ever met that started smoking cigs in their thirties? My point is that adults make better choices which is to be expected, it's not a criticism, they just have more experience.:)

17. She quit after a health scare, it hurt too much to smoke, so she didnt, and then didnt start up again, i think thast what she needed, something big to push her over that edge, not that her being scared is a good thing, but the end result was good. She DOES mention how it doesnt hurt to breathe, and she doesnt feel that pressure on her chest when she wakes up in the morning and things like that, which is great. Its not often at all, that she mention s cigarette, but i think one big mistake she is maing is continuing to let people smoker around her, which could possibly make her want a smoke. I dont see the weigh gain much anymore, she may have noticed a a couple pounds, but nothing bad really. Not really depressed either which is a good thing, i dont see her attitude or mood changed much since she quit, either, which i thought was a bit strange at first but maybe it is not. I mentioned that within as little as 15 years, with good excersizing, they can almost completly clear their lungs. But to them its a long time so that may be another push that is needed, to figure out the PERMANENT damge caused by smoking for so many years.
    thanks freedom:wave: Take care.

18. I was addicted, although a self diagnosis would be biased, I had severe headaches and nausea. I felt like a warmed over turd. I was a pack and a halfer a day for over ten years.
    As for your friend, that is a touchy area, as most people go into the "Oh, now he/she is a born again nonsmoker" mentality, with eye rolls and all. I would have to say use your judgement, but personally I would stay away from the subject. Free will, I say...

19. Sept 23 will be 1 yr for me!!! WOOHOO!!!! I skied pro for a few yrs back in the early 90's and still sneaked them in back then. I've cheated asnd had maybe 3 cigs total since last Sept. 2 things I found that I'll share....

1. Don't cheat. It's harder to get back on track. Use your "no smoke" days to empower yourself. When you cheat, it has a dramatic effect-psychologically.

2. Chantix works!

I was up to 1 3/4 packs a day when I quit.

Good luck to all who try and if you need a distraction, I'm always around to chat.

20. NEVER too late, I'm 41, smoked for 27 yrs.