A stoner's guide to quitting nicotine

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Freedom, Jun 11, 2009.

1. #61 Freedom, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009

First thing for you to know is that nicotine smokers can't/won't be told. That's not how smokers roll;). You can keep telling your mum, you can even approach it so that she knows you care about her and are worried, but she will just think she is being guilt tripped. Nicotine is a very manipulative drug and can make you think some strange things to justify consuming it, but telling her this will make her more defensive.

You are way better off taking an 'I don't care' attitude to her habit. Always sympathise and listen if she tries to talk to you about it and when she does, tell her a friend of yours found a guide really helpful, maybe she should read it, there's no pressure, it just makes you think about smoking differently. Then show her my guide! ;)

I'm sorry her health is suffering. It may be enough to inspire her sooner than you realise, but please refrain from applying any pressure on her. I know how much you care for her and so it's hard, but the more you push, the more she will resist. It is is not a deliberate attempt on her part to disagree with you, it is the drug's influence.

Ultimately it is out of your control. She is an adult and must make her own decisions just as you must. I hope it works out for you both. :)

2. damn girl... you're really insightful, beginning to like you more with every post :D

3. *curtsies* :eek: Why thank you. :wave::)

4. do we need to start a freedom fan club? :laughing: How funny would that be

5. Just wondering but whats your CO number now that you quit? Sorry if this has been answered before.

6. Not funny. Awesome and proper. :p

Myles, did you frighten kerenski? :p

It hasn't really been answered. I haven't been back to have it measured since about three months after I quit. At that point my reading still wavered between 1-3, which is that of a non smoker. I must assume that I am still taking in some carcinogens when I smoke bud spliffs, but it is significantly less than with cigs.
    :)

7. what can I say, Im very protective :laughing:

nahhh, that post was deleted when I came in here. I would neva frighten anybodyyyyyyy. ;)

8. #68 Freedom, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
    :laughing: Glad to hear it Myles and you be as protective as you like. :eek:;)

9. Im more into being protective in person ;) over the comp it just sounds funny

10. Great thread Freedom! I'm one of those strange smokers who can take 'em or leave 'em.
    My mother is a heavy smoker, and smoked around me my entire childhood, as well as most of the extended family (four out of five uncles, two out of four aunts, both grandmothers), is it any wonder I started? I smoked the first one at fourteen, and by sixteen I was up to around ten a day. When I left for college it became 20. Then I met the lady who would later become my wife, she didn't smoke and so I attempted to quit for her sake. As you can imagine that didn't happen, when I was with friends in the pub or relaxing at home the temptation became too great and I lit up, after all, I was young, healthy, and happy, so why shouldn't I indulge myself? However, work and lifestyle changes over the next few years meant that most of my 'smoking buddies' weren't around anymore, so that when the tobacco ban arrived in 2004, I was quite happy not to smoke. Like Myles, I still buy the occasional pack, last weekend at a concert for instance. I don't smoke at home or in the car, so it's outside or nothing when I do feel like a fag (cigarette not homosexual lol).
    Glad you've been able to stay off them so long Freedom, congrats!

11. My mother finally quit smoking, i told my mom what to expect after quitting. She said she felt like she has gained weight latly, i said it could be due to quitting since smokers tend to stay thin easier. She also noticed her lungs dont hurt in the morning and she can exercise easier without smokey lungs. Now i just have to help my dad, i told him nicotine cravings are short and all you have to do is watch the time

12. lol, i've had to resist the urge to use that term 'fag' throughout this entire guide!! haha, I always called cigs,fags. But I knew that could well be misenterpreted here. :rolleyes: Thanks for taking the time to check it out man. :D

13. Dude that is so cool! Well done her! :hello: Tell her the weight gain is a secondary issue. As long as it doesn't get too out of hand, tell her not to worry, she can deal with it in a month or two when she's over her nicotine addiction. :) She will have to learn how to manage her diet in a completely new way, this doesn't have to be anything other than a positive thing, but she needn't put pressure on herself to deal with it now. Don't let her beat herself up about it. Tell her repeatedly how great she looks since she quit. :)

Luck to your dad. :)

14. My trick for stopping smoking was to just smoke more weed than ciggs. It worked.

Oh guess this is my 1,000 post.

Yay

15. i guit smoking like 2 years ago, ten like last week i was drunk with some friends and wound up having one, i guess its because ive had to stop smoking bud for this damn drugtest but yea qutiing nicotine is the hardest thing ive ever done, good luck to anyone trying

16. I dont know why but I cant get addicted to nicotine or somethinng:cool:
    There are weeks, were i smoke 20 cigarettes a day wich is like 2 weeks a year. And the rest of the year i dont smoke nicotine, exept some spliffs, but thats really not much cause i prefer hiting the bong. I never crave cigarettes never, when i have some around i smoke em , but i never buy any cause im lazy. I dont understand how u can crave a cig , because I never had that feeling. Anyone else feeling like me?

17. What would happen if you didnt smoke at all? All year? How would you feel? have you tried?
    I assume you have not, just because you areent a reglar user doesnt mean you cant get addicted.

18. well once i was really fuckin bored, and a friend forgot his cigarettes on the table, i lighted one, and i was disgusted. I was thinking to my self. For wat the fuck??? its bad for my lungs it doesent taste good, i dont feel any effect. i havent touched a cigarette since( was half a year ago). and i only smoked like 10 joints

19. and the oly reason i put tobacco in my joints is cause i have no money to fill the whole joint with weed(weeds pretty expensive here + it suck so baaaaaad). But i began a grow, so soon tobacco will be totally banned outta my life.

20. Good luck man, no one really needs tobacco, especially mixing it with some lovely cannabis[thats nasty]. I feel you i can barly afford joints eaither, thats why i :bongin: it:wave: