A scary reality?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by kms brown, May 28, 2008.

1. Sorry ive been thinking this ever since i looked up salvia before and after i did it. Though i cant find where i read this but anyway, one of the effects of salvia is visual and physical hallucinations and can be as intense as living the entire life of another person. Now with that being said, what if when you "saw the light" or died you really are just coming out of a salvia trip?

Now with that thought in mind and for anyone who has tripped salvia knows that the human mind is extremely powerful and those trips feel as real if not more so than "reality". After seeing the power your brain has and its ability to create "alternate" realities, feelings, and emotions, why would we stop to think that the brain only does that while under the influence of drugs? What if reality or existence is a creation of your mind?

You could argue how ever that you know this world is real because for every action there is a consequence or reaction. For example, if you cut yourself with a blade it creates a opening in your skin and you bleed. But the only thing telling you that there is a hole in your skin are your eyes and pain receptors. Now if anyone has watched the show Super Human on the history channel, you know that the human brain can send endorphins (sp) and other chemicals to over ride any receptors in the body sub-consciously. Or have you ever noticed that when people are hurt they dont really register the pain untill they see the damage done, then they freak out and realize the damage that has been done to there body. Basically what im trying to say is that the reactions of the "real" world are only as strong as your perceive them mentally.

I dont know where im going with this but some input and thoughts would be nice lol

Heres the superhuman video I was referring to:
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/law9Yv5vtX0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/law9Yv5vtX0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Ill try and find a link to the website that i read you can live the entire life of another person in.

2. I think they made a movie like that. The matrix?!??!

3. dude your not alone man ive thought the same thing

man have u asked what are emotions and feelings you feel pain but where is it you cant see pain, you cant touch it,etc.
    i think emotions are energy just a thought but then again im really high lol

4. Yeah, but that had evil robots, and evil robots are just silly. In my scenario, your mind is the evil robot and reality is its creation.

Exactly! pain and emotions are creations of fluids in your brain and this cant be any more true because you can take medication to block pain (opiates) or medication to control your emotions (xanax, ridilin)

5. Wow this shit made me really think. That's a crazy ass idea, but it seems like it could be true.

6. I've definately thought of this before as well. Matrix thing was just a joke. lol Defenately a deeper thought than i wanna get into now though.:D

7. lol i know, after i got done typing and re read it thats what i first thought of. For some reason alot of people are uncomfortable going this deep into thinking about reality, especially all of my friends, they think im retarted.

8. I love how people always say that even though they know they already took it there to understand they didn't want to go there. :)

9. What do you think they are?

10. damn i missed the post...

i think this reality is a dimensional prison, and nothing is real. we are trapped in these bodies and undergo a series of reincarnations or hevens and hells in this prison to keep us confused and from the truth. the multiverse(now universe) is (was, but i wont get in to that)far bigger than this and things work interdimensionally. you can think of it as a scale of frequencies, some 'denser' than others and were stuck on the 3d frequency.

the nothing is real part could be 'proven' by example like those.

heres a video. its not 'fact' but i believe it.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AqnEGu8VF8Y&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AqnEGu8VF8Y&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

11. Wait, like what do i think of them? If thats what you mean i either think they are scared to think of their world in a different way or theyre normal and im crazy. Either way i dont care, their still fun people.

12. I guess I just wondered how that might make you "retarded"?

13. Because im questioning our foundation of existence and riding a unicycle between sanity and insanity all in one idea. That scares my friends so they ruin the credibility of my thinking in their eyes by discarding my intelligence and replacing it with stupidity. Atleast thats what i think.

14. awesome! i feel the same exact way, lol. they always have to hold on to that 'reality' so tightly. pisses me off. there are a couple people who are cool about talking about 'the outer limits' and can easily let go. its funny everyone who i know that is cool about shit like this smokes pot. with 1 exception.

15. But with your idea the superpower that is our mind is trying to trick itself.

Because if everything that we think is real, is only a manifestation of our brains then what would be the point of gaining knowledge from "seemingly'' outside sources, and growing and thinking we are gaining experience through things we do.

I'm not ruling out your idea, though I do think its highly unlikely. It would just mean for me that there are higher powers than myself. Otherwise there would be no point in this seemingly pointless game of knowledge and concilience.

also high, sorry if nothing makes since friends.

16. Thats my first question, what if when you die you really are coming out of a salvia trip. Yeah i know the chances are very slim, but its a interesting thought.

Your point is valid though and you proved a good point.

17. I've thought of this a bunch as well. It could very possibly be that we are living in a dream world basically. Your mind creates your whole reality basically, so if this is a dream, we would never know.

On the other hand, we could basically be the mind of god. The way I see it, I've thought about our existence a whole lot. I was atheist for a longgg time.. just cause I couldn't understand how it would work. What made me become Agnostic, and actually leaning more that there is a supreme being, or force, is when I got stuck on the thought of if there is a God, how and where did he come from? It wasn't until I got a little older I started to think, well.. everything has a beginning, it just has to.. so what I've came to believe is that before there was anything (god, the universe, time, everything), then there was nothing. Since there is nothing, there is no law, time.. basically that means that literally anything would be possible. Hah, which actually I just now realized it kind of reminds me of the series of The Ultimate Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy (if any of you have read it. Great book btw.)

But anyways, back on subject. If anything was possible, maybe it just so happened that eventually (since there is no time, there is no difference in 1 second to infinite years) a conscience became aware of itself. Basically randomly the nothing became conscience of itself. We can call it God. If the nothing, which was everything, became God. Then that would mean that anything else that existed afterwards would be "God", or a part of God. Basically just the thoughts of the conscience of God because nothing can be it's own apart from God, since he is literally everything. Anything that would occur, would be inside this conscience.. basically just a thought. The supreme mind.. able to control every tiniest bit of itself and be aware of itself to the smallest molecules.
    If anyone has heard about the double slit experiment in quantum mechanics then this might explain how particles are actually AWARE of whether or not there is something observing its actions.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc(double slit experiment)

That pretty much furthered my belief that all around us is conscience of itself and what is happening around it and we are all just in one large mind.
    Idk I'm just high as fuck and rambling.. lol

oh and about coming out of salvia trip.. I doubt that. But you could possibly be coming out of a state of being and this physical place is only part of the experience of existence. We've just been living in a 2d world and we can't see the 3rd. But when we die we go to 3rd and we're just like wtf this is so much better :D

18. Amazing how simple it probably is. :) Well said.

Aww, fuck.

The conscious Conscience. :) God.

Or, it pretty much might mean that two places are essentially one, anyway. :) It's believing that that might be so hard.

Sounds good and insightful to me. :) +rep

19. Hah, pretty much all the pot heads I know are totally lame about the whole thing. They act like they are scared to think deep about things, or stupid, idk what it is.. maybe they are just to dumb to contemplate things like that.. or maybe they just haven't smoked enough bud.. either way, they never talk about such things.. and as for as I know, never have. But most people I know seem to never think about such things ever. And when I do mention something insightful they say random things like "you should be a philosopher". Wtf? You don't have to be a philosopher to think about things that I believe, everyone should think about for themselves. (Which is one of the reasons I think it's so sad how kids choose a certain religion without ever really thinking about what they believe.)
    But sooo many fucking people are so closed minded, so they don't think about anything except what is right in front of their face, things they know. Thinking about things differently scares some people.. idk why. I love getting high and just thinking.. but on the other hand im a very introverted person, so that might be why. Ignorance is bliss so they say.. so if people can't get by in life and be happy without thinking about it, then thats cool. But I prefer to understand things as best as I can from my point of view.

20. So many people are open-minded too. Trying to get us all together. :)