a sad day - giving away a dog

Discussion in 'Pets' started by missdemeanor, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Hey GC, just wanted to share about the really tough day I've had. My man and I had to give up one of our dogs today. Last june a couple stray dogs wandered into our yard ( we live close to a couple shelters, and some assholes will often dump animals and "hope they find the shelters on their own" ) and they were so sweet and wild that we decided to take them in and socialize them. Well, the time has come to put (at least) one of them up for financial reasons, and it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. He was such a good, sweet dog (although he barked A LOT and chewed the collar off his brother constantly) and I miss him so much.

Luckily we had a super fun wrestle time will all three pups this morning, and I made sure to treat them to a feast of sausages for breakfast. :eek: I also know he'll be well taken care of by his new family - we made sure to pre-pay the adoption fee so that he's free for someone to take home (and thus, up his chances ).

He was such a handsome dog, too:

[​IMG]

We and the other dogs miss him already.
    Has anyone had to give away a pet before? Did you have a really difficult time getting over it?

2. I have had to give away 2 westies once. One wandered around my neighbourhood and as I am renowned for having a hyperactive dog greeting everyone as they walk past, they put him in my yard and sadly I found his owners a couple of hours later. I named him Marley.

The first westie that was given to me was called toto. He was an absolute brute. He got on my dining table and pee'd. And raped my male westie.

The hardest thing is knowing you really don't have the time or expenses to give them what they deserve. Stay in touch with the new owners. I didn't and I have no idea if they still have Toto. :(