A quick question about topping

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Wiggla, Aug 14, 2006.

1. So I've topped my plant and bent her sideways in the beginning of the week and now I see a nice "Y" in the stem and two tops. I've also noticed that the branches have all curved around to get some light and that made me wonder if it's the same procedure to top the branches too? Can only the main stem be clipped or is it just fine to clip the top of a branch to get two instead of one? One guy I think Dierwolf said he lst and tops his plants (but he did it more than once which is why I'm curious if it's possible to top other branches too) so I'm giving it a whirl and so far I like it, all the branches are getting about the same amount of light because the "canopy" is level now unlike if it were grown the traditional straight up way.

2. Wow I didn't know the question was that hard to answer. I'm sure you could cut branches but I was just waiting for an experienced grower to tell me that they do it all the time or something.

3. sorry but that kinda confused me :confused: maybe is there a way you could get a picture? or even draw one, i think im just too high, sorry.

4. Oh, sorry well I never thought I was confusing. OK, you know when you top (cut the top of the main stem off) your plant and so that instead of one main stalk there are two? I think it's pretty well known some do it during veg and some do it one week into flowering. I was just wondering if I could do the same thing to the other branches of the tree. Since bud doesn't only grow on the main stem can I top the branches where bud also grows?

I'm not good with pics yet otherwise I'd copy and paste or something.

5. You can top the branches as well - Tho personally, I don't cut the stems - just pinch out the centre new growth. In theory you can do this as many times as you like. This clone has been topped all over - just as an experiment - you'll lose out on having a big main cola - it just makes more smaller bud sites.

6. cool thanks.

7. wait, so if you have small bud sites, wouldnt that just make topping worthless then?

8. I think this is a question for Dierwolf, as he is the topping and fimming master..

9. That's your idea of waiting, is it?
    You're in for trouble during flowering, I can tell.

You can only "top" the main stem. Cutting any other stem is called "trimming". If you understand the process, you will understand that it applies to any growth tip. A cut is a cut, and is usually used to control growth. Mother plants get trimmed all the time, all over. But they are not for making buds, they are for making cuttings.

Topping won't necessarily increase your yield, only some strains respond positively to it. To increase yield, learn how to train your plants to fit your lighting, and learn patience.

-mu