A quick question about consciousness

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by g0pher, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Every form of energy or matter gets recycled and reused, every visible or non visible particle is the universe itself. What is life?

2. movement. all atoms move, hence everything lives, and chooses to move therefor is consious.

3. What isn't ?

4. life is something that creates order

5. You say an atom chooses to move? The reason inanimate things move is based on external forces, anything from gravity to magnetic fields. Lesser animals and organisms don't consciously think about their rote behavior, it is just a series of electrical impulses hardwired into their brain that make them act certain ways. Consciousness is a trait. Hell, a lot of times it's a weakness. Something possessed by higher life forms that allows us to fuck up and go against our natural urges of propagation and self preservation.

Society is a product of consciousness. This whole concept that we have to sacrifice ourselves for the greater good or that we have to act a certain way because it's moral or right. Who gives a fuck what we are "supposed" to do with our lives. I was not here when the foundation to modern civilization was made and I was not consulted in the making of it's rules, yet I am bound by them. If I smoke a plant, that was placed here by God in my opinion to make this life a little easier or more bearable, I can be incarcerated. Years of my life can be robbed from me in this "free" society because of laws based on prejudice.

Consciousness is a burden. A gift that has been abused.

Rebuttal anyone?

6. are you telling me ants are not consious? they most certainly are as are all living animals, they have societies to the extent their physical abilities allow.

it may be harder to prove that everything is alive and consious, but you say things that move, move from an external force? and the exteranal force? inanimate? but it decided to move.

just because you cant sit down and have a conversation and a blunt with all things, that doesnt make them less alive.

7. #7 Denialz, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009
    You're confusing instinctual behavior with conscious thought. The ant doesn't think to himself, "Hey, that queen chick really knows what's going on, we should all build a community around her and feed her so she can have our young." The skills needed to propagate the species and preserve their life is pre-programmed into them. If they had conscious thought like we did, you would see random anarchist ants living off on their own doing their own thing.

I never said ants were inanimate, I was referring to atom's in my last post. Ants would tie in with the lesser life forms that do not have conscious thought, along with everything from bacteria to plants.

You're right, it doesn't. That being said I could sit down and have a conversation with a toaster while smoking a blunt, that doesn't make it alive.

8. #8 g0pher, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009
    Ok now i have the difficult task of explaining a very stoned thought..
    Ok now we know that a rock is dead, regardless of how many vibrating atoms are in its makeup, the same goes for a plastic spoon. Now the best way i can describe the life of a consciousness object is as a 'process' put in place by nature to control a particular thing (example, a tree.) Now a process is not a form of matter or energy but is more like a force, when a 'thing' ceases to be( i.e. death of a tree,) why should we expect the 'process' to continue?

9. Chop my head off and my body wont move

10. i disagree. didnt you ever a bugs life? lol but seriosuly though. i feel like there could be random anarchist ants that roam around. 1, ants are incredibly tiny. most of the time when theyre around, you dont even notice them. there could be random anarchist ants roaming around. for all we know the ones that you see wandering by themelves ARE the anarchist ants. and 2, maybe there are anarchist ants but they all died because they need society in order to survive.

11. no im not confusing anything, what is instinctual behavior programmed by? and whos to say that ants dont go against their instincts? it may not be in their best interest to do so, remember they are limited to small bodies and couldnt do much without the rest, so they stick together.

and how then, is it that the atoms in your body form a consious being yet the atoms in ant , bacteria, and plants dont?

yes you could, that would be very silly though.

id like for you to attempt to prove that "lower life forms" are not consious, and what makes some atoms form a consious being and others simply do not.

12. "in·stinct (nstngkt)
    n.
    1. An inborn pattern of behavior that is characteristic of a species and is often a response to specific environmental stimuli"
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/instinct

Instinctual behavior is something we are born with. Lets go with humans as an example, when a baby is born does it need to learn how to breathe? No, our bodies instinctually know how to perform our basic functions.

What about flies, Gnats and other small insects? There are plenty of small insects that do just fine on their own.

There are atoms in everything, a rock for example consists of atoms yet it is not conscious.

I like being silly.

I'd like for you to prove otherwise.

13. haha, youre the one who attacked my idea and still havent proved anything to me.
    minus some vague descriptions of what makes things not consious and a definition of instinct...
    itd be hard to prove anything either way, so ill give up the debate, but i can say that all things are consiousness weather or not they appear to not be from our dimensional viewpoint. a star is a consious being yet from our dimension it appears only as a star. if we were on say the 10th dimension, it would appear completely different.
    same with a rock, its consiousness resides somewhere in either 1D or 2D and since we are in 3D it appears as a rock.

im not expecting you to agree, but im done here, ive given my opinion and theres only so much rebuttal i can come up with for it.