A question about the Airforce

Discussion in 'General' started by NcExpress, Jun 30, 2012.

1. I really want to go into the millitary and the airforce is the most appealing to me but when i was 16 i got a paraphernalia charge (caught with a scale that had a little weed dust on it) . I was on unsupervised probation for a year than it was expunged , i think.I have not gotten into any trouble sence then . Everything i find on google is about people getting misdemeanors after there 18 and being denied . Does it make any diforence that i was a minor?

2. It shouldn't matter cause u were a minor my husband is in the air force I can ask him when he gets off work for ya?

3. #3 will3117, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
    I joined the Air Force when I was 17 I was arrested 3 times in my teens for burglary, I did not disclose this, if you DO NOT pick a MOS that requires security clearance it will probably never come up, if you go through a detailed security clearance the investigators will talk to your neighbors, friends and family and even if it is expunged it will probably come up, then you will be asked to explain it and then your fucked for not disclosing in the first place....

I was a radar tech and now have an honorable discharge I never disclosed and did not require a high security clearance...and it does matter if they find out, we had a guy in our squadron kicked out under a general for not disclosing his juvenile record, his record had been sealed, but it came up during a security clearance.

If they find out you did not disclose your record, it does not matter that the offense was something that would not of prevented you from joining in the first place, you will be kicked out for falsification of your enlistment documents.

4. You should probably brush up on your spelling skills, though. ;)

5. #5 NcExpress, Jun 30, 2012
    thanks everyone . and yea ask your husband kjd8714 all the insight i can get is great . sorry grammer nazi i mean durband poison its late and im drunk :-]

6. I'm starting to feel like we just need an official Military thread

7. DurbanPoison*, Grammar* Heh.

Nothing personal, just an avid believer in spell-check. ;)

/edit: I'm drunk, also - yet I can still pull it off. I have faith in you. <3

8. o shit i just found the spell check button lolz

9. There ya' go! Haha.

But don't mind me, much. I'm that guy that likes to drink, and apply my own twisted-brown-brand of satire and sick sense of humor to things I probably shouldn't. :p

/edit: Throwing you some +rep for being a good sport AND locating the spell-checker! :D

10. sweeeeet thanks Durbie . you gotta lotta green bars there . Am i in the presence of greatness ? i pressed the spell chek button and it says i gota d/l it, Adventure time!

11. Haha! Eh, just going to the effort of trying is more than adequate! Whatcha' drinkin' on tonight, my brother?

12. #12 will3117, Jun 30, 2012
    If there is any question of getting caught, think real hard before you put yourself in that position, a less than Honorable discharge will fuck your life up bad, try getting a decent job with any discharge other than honorable. You can also get a retired or serving member of the Air Force to write a letter of recommendation for you, that should get you in with a less than perfect record. Talk to your recruiter as well, it's in there best interest to sign you up and they will help you to not fuck up your life.

I sweated for 8 years my record being found out, I passed on any job that might include a higher security level. I did not know how serious it was till the guy in my squadron was caught and by then it was way to late to come clean and disclose.

13. #13 NcExpress, Jun 30, 2012
    so what im getting is i should tell my recuiter about my 16 year old incident and cross my fingers that i get in ? thanks all

Miller high life , 12 bucks a case at walmart !!!! . and some good ol georgia moon corn wisky ,yumm. you?

14. MmmMmmm. Love me some whiskey in a jar! I'm drinking the cheap vodka I bought to clean connections and other pieces of the brewsystem. Haha. We make due with what we have, eh? :p

15. Dude call any recruiter office and ask if you are required to disclose a expunged offense, go from there you don't even have to give your name...

16. yea just drowning the pain of not being able to smoke hehe . well im off to bed so i can get up for a early morning of drinking . maybe we will cross paths again someday soon!

thanks will i did not think of that

17. I also was slapped with a few charges that were expunged, but was told the charges will always be there since anything military is a federal level job position.

And the feds dont play.

I dont know though, that was for the marines. Talk to a recruiter and see if they can.work.something out with you man, you might get lucky

18. Getting a Top Secret qualification is brutal, but that's the only time they'll speak to your friends or family... but when you join, they will do a standard background check, just like most jobs do.

Keep in mind that you can get waivers for almost anything, and plenty of jobs need NO security clearance at all. Anything medical, however, will need a low level security clearance. You're not allowed to handle private records if they can't trust you.

19. depending on the planes/base involved flight line clearance can be a bitch too

20. #20 will3117, Jun 30, 2012
    Requirements for a clearance
    The vetting process for a security clearance is usually undertaken only when someone is hired or transferred into a position that requires access to classified information. The employee is typically fingerprinted and asked to provide information about themselves. This becomes a starting point for an investigation into the candidate's suitability.

The process has been streamlined and now requires the person who needs clearance to input the information online using E-qip. 14 days are allowed, during which data must be input. Having the older paper form can be helpful for collecting and organizing the information in advance. The information on an investigation and its status is stored in either JPAS or Scattered Castles.

Investigative work is usually at least one of the following types:

National Agency Check with Local Agency Check and Credit Check (NACLC). An NACLC is required for a Secret, L, and CONFIDENTIAL access. Almost all Military need a Confidential level security clearance at least.

Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI). An SSBI is required for Top Secret, Q, and SCI access, and involves agents contacting employers, coworkers and other individuals. Standard elements include checks of employment; education; organization affiliations; local agencies; where the subject has lived, worked, or gone to school; and interviews with persons who know the individual. The investigation may include an NACLC on the candidate’s spouse or cohabitant and any immediate family members who are U.S. citizens other than by birth or who are not U.S. citizens.
    Polygraph. Some agencies may require polygraph examinations. The most common examinations are Counter Intelligence (CI) and Full-Scope (Lifestyle) polygraphs. While a positive SSBI is sufficient for access to SCI-level information, polygraphs are routinely administered for "staff-like" access to particular agencies.

If issues of concern surface during any phase of security processing, coverage is expanded to resolve those issues. At lower levels, interim clearances may be issued to individuals who are presently under investigation, but who have passed some preliminary, automatic process. Such automatic processes include things such as credit checks, felony checks, and so on. An interim clearance may be denied (although the final clearance may still be granted) for having a large amount of debt, having a foreign spouse, for having admitted to seeing a doctor for a mental health condition, or for having admitted to other items of security concern (such as a criminal record or a history of drug use.)

Investigations conducted by one federal agency are no longer supposed to be duplicated by another federal agency when those investigations are current within 5 years and meet the scope and standards for the level of clearance required. The high-level clearance process can be lengthy, sometimes taking a year or more. The long time needed for new appointees to be cleared has been cited as hindering U.S. presidential transitions.