A question about space!

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by SCraps, Jan 10, 2008.

1. dont all hate me all at once coz I'm Lucifarian GEEZ!! :mad:

but anyway,

If the universe is expanding; then outside of its boundaries is nothing.

Can nothing (space) go on forever.

Or does space's existance stop with the bondaries of the universe.

2. The universe stops or ends at a point. Im not sure what is "outside" of its boundaries but the universe is ever exspanding so it must be pushing or taking away from whatever is outside the limits of the universe.

3. you've not been there.

4. Your right, Nobody has been there.

5. "There" requires a place. How would you describe a place that doesn't exist? Physical in theory?

6. i have.

edit_2. and that's how i know u hadnt been there. otherwise... you'd know too.

edit_1

though, the "i" that i was when i went there was considerably less distinct as the "i" that i am now.

edit_3
    well said. that's why you wont catch me attempting to describe the experience. i know its not possible to describe. (at least about as far as something can be "not possible")

7. oh i was thinking about this the other day and basically i think we are an atom (our universe) and inside the atom is us, and inside our atoms are the same thing, universes filled with galaxies and stuff. And these atoms keep getting smaller and smaller, and there is no end. But, i know im probably wrong, who knows :smoking:

8. The way I understand it, the universe is infinite in all directions. Honestly, you should worry yourself too much about it. The distances even to celestial objects just beyond our galaxy are ones we meager humans can never hope to cover. Even if we could travel at the speed of light, no human could live long enough to travel even what's considered relatively close to us in the big picture of the universe. Even though you would age considerably slower while traveling at the speed of light, you still couldn't do it.

9. Our universe began with a huge explosion that, over time, created what we know today as our universe. This explosion created massive amounts of energy that, til this day, cause everything in the universe to expand.

We cannot out-run our universe to get to the end of it.

The only way we will 'see' the end is when dark matter takes over. Eventually, the immense gravity of dark matter, combined with visible matter, will cause the universe to slow...stop...and start 'un-expanding'. Since the universe began as a single point (singularity), it will end as a single point. And once all matter gets ripped asunder and all of everything is torn into the smallest building blocks of matter it will once again be compressed into a singularity. Once we are in the singularity, you will see 'the end'.

Or atleast thats what I think.

To me, a more puzzling question would be....."Where did the universe begin??"

Where in our multi-dimensional universe was the single point that all matter emerged from??

When we look as deep as we can into the universe, we aren't looking towards the 'nucleus of the universe'.... we are looking back in time in a certain direction.

Everything in our universe is moving at incredible speeds, away from their origin. Technically speaking, couldn't we 'move' through the universe, going against the grain, and eventually get to a point where everything moves in the oposite direction? I suppose the obvious answer would be no.... due to technological setbacks.

But if it was possible to find the center of the universe, and it was possible to live for billions of years, and it was possible to separate ourselves from all the other matter in the universe, then I would put a flag at the exact single point where everything began. That way when the universe 'crunches' itself, I could watch where it went and follow it into the multi-verse.

I think NASA should conduct 'Space Trippin Tests'. Send up a few astronauts to the moon, or much less fun, the ISS, and then have them drop LSD. I bet that would be the trip of a lifetime. Imagine peaking on the moon while watching the 'earth-rise'. That would be quite the thought-prevoking event. Shit, I think it would rock to trip in a big birthday-party-blow-up-bouncy-thing....let alone in an environment without gravity.

Sorry, OP.... this turned into another classic CMR rant.

10. The idea of an expanding universe might just be flawed from the getgo. If space is four dimensional, and time is a direction (one of the central ideas of relativity) , then it is wrong to plot the universe as three dimensional and extrapolate "back". The passage of time is going to depend on the definition of stationary.

So I must ask, what is stationary?

11. i could do a point by point pick apart to lay waste to some misconceptions and erroneous assumptions... instead:

"take mushrooms and squeegee your third eye" - bill hicks.

lots of them. LOTS. the ones with psilocybin in them. the small ones.

"take mushrooms" * does a squeegeeing skweaking noise * - bill hicks.

"you think mushrooms growing on cow shit was an accident? why do you think hindus think cows are holy? "holy shit!"" - bill hicks.

legendary or heroic dosages.

with respect, with enthusiasm, and without expectation. or not at all.
    in the right set & setting.