A Question About Creatine

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by theprodigy, Apr 22, 2013.

1. I've been thinking about starting to use creatine but have a few concerns:

I am heavily into Jiu jitsu and occasionally train other martial arts ( along with lifting weights and running, ect) and am wondering if using creatine would negatively effect my performance. More specifically, is there going to be a significant loss of flexibility and FUNCTIONAL Strength ?

When fighting, more muscle mass = more oxygen needed. I am okay with moving up a weight class, but if the water-saturated muscle is going to be less functional then I would say its a no-go. Just trying to get the most bang for my buck .

I would really love to here from any other martial artists that have used creatine in junction with training .

Oh and increased water intake is not a problem, wouldn't surprise me if I grew gills with all the water I drink

2. Flexibility will be lost if your muscles get bigger (not stronger)

As far as the water weight and bigger muscles. Yes creatine will cause you to gain water weight.

Don't take creatine during a month that you will be competing. Its more of an intense.muscle.gain session for a few weeks kinda thing.

once your done you lose the wwater weight but keep some of the gains

No evidence shows creatine is bad but there is concern over kidney health

I'd go for it. Use it for like a month whole you do heavy lifting. Then stop taking it. They reccomend doing a coarse every few months.

It shouldn't negatively affect your sport if your training specifically in it.

If you keep stretching and practicing your muscles.wont affect it too bad unless you want to be a rediculous builder

3. Alright that actually sounds real good. I looked past the fact that I didn't have to use it regularly . Thanks for the quick and helpful response! :)

4. Generally, creatine is used in order to increase stores of ATP. ATP is used as quick acting fuel for your muscles during intense exercise (think lifting for only 3-5 reps on a lift. ATP allows for a short, intense burst of strength). Hence why powerlifters and explosive athletes (sprinters, football players, etc.) like to use it.

You'll gain some water weight from using creatine, but as long as you cycle off of it a few weeks before a fight, you should be fine. The extra weight is not worth the tradeoff in effort. Plus, those last few weeks before a fight are normally focused on endurance training, technique, and really getting your V02 max up, correct?

Creatine isn't as useful for that type of training. Save it mainly for the time that you're training for strength and power.

5. The only creatine that's proven to work is creatine monohydrate. As far as I know, it will give you a small increase in strength.

If you do enough flexibility and mobility work then it shouldn't be a problem. If you train for explosiveness, strength and power then it should increase your performance. Lift heavy and do deadlifts and Olympic lifts.

6. Remember to work harder while on creatine. It provides a sorta temporary strength.

The idea is to push harder while on it and thus get better gains

7. This.

I don't take any supplements but I work with a lot of athletes (fighters specifically) who cycle on and off of creatine throughout the year. You should cycle it a few times before taking it leading up to a fight to be certain of the amount of time you will need to shed the water weight while in your cutting phase. A month is ideal but I know a few guys who are more comfortable @ 6 weeks. Better safe than sorry.