Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

A proposal for a different RSO.

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by MrMota, May 13, 2022.

1. (I am going to try this)
    For quite a while I have felt uneasy about a vido I saw about making RSO to put in capsules. It was the black tar appearance of it. Unpleasant. From what began as a lovely clear amber fluid.
    In chemistry, boiling organic materials usually degrades them. Maybe we can make a better product?
    I understand that the boiling is to get rid of all the water because any water ruins the gelatin cap. So how could we get rid of any water without subjecting the oil to a high temperature? Desiccation.
    I'm going to build a desiccation chamber. The chemicals are easy to buy. The procedure will be, first, allow the alcohol to evaporate off (pure alcohol is very cheap here). Then place the oil in the desiccating chamber to dry out completely.

• Like Like x 2
  2. I'll tag along as I'm currently mid way into my latest batch of RSO. I use taxed drinking grade Alcohol and recovery is a must and gets done in a pot still. I stop when temps get near 100C and it starts spitting water.

I deliberately add some water to the reducing tincture to have something for the oils and tar to stay suspended in. This water gets evaporated in an open pan with a high speed 4 inch fan overnight. This is where I'll be when I get up to the grow in an hour or two. A pan of Tar that was at 79-82C for about 90 minutes.

There will still be a troublesome amount of water trapped in and under the oils and tar. I Add Coconut oil at this point as a solvent and get the tar off the pan and into my working dish. This where things get to hot as I'll need to bake that dish of mixed Canna Tars and Coconut oil at 220 F until it stops bubbling and foaming. Only then can I fill capsules with confidence they won't melt.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  3. It will be a little while since I either have to buy or build a desiccating chamber but I will update.

4. Would a vacuum chamber/ vacuum bell pull the solvent out?
    I have access to a glass vacuum bell.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Interesting
    The last batch I made and capped seems to be holding up fine. I did leave the fan on it for three days, stirring it occasionally.
    That chamber sounds sweet though :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. I've always wanted a Source Turbo or EtOH Pro for making RSO.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I live in a desiccation chamber. Right now the outside humidity is 3%.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1