Grasscity - Cyber Monday Sale - up to 70% Discount

a possible insight into how chinese thinking on women evolved-a philological anecdote

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by since93, Mar 16, 2012.

1. i was skimming thru carl faulmanns book on world languages and it says in there there are 214 main ideograms that are used to express oneself in chinese (and i know they are way too many variants like mandarin, cantonese, etc but i just want to point out what i came across because it struck me as pleasantlt amusing)...

ok apparently the (or one) ideogram for "a woman" is ""...

then when you want to say "two women" you write ""....the same character side by side...but faulmann says this joint ideogram also means "fight" or "discord" etc....

and it gets even better!....when you wanna say "three women" you write "" and this triple ideogram ALSO means "scheming", "shady transactions", etc...

if i get nothing else out of this book the above is more than enuf for me but are there any chinese-culture people here that can verify this?....or those that are near native in chinese?

2. I'm not chinese but that strikes me as an extremely accurate portrayal of women.

3. lol chinese culture apparently evolved thinking so...:smoke:....its awesome tho...:smoke:

4. You have to imagine the language is thousands of years old, they must of learned something....

5. Hahaha thats funny :)

6. yup...what they learned of women and....unrest....is highly visible and very quiant....:smoke:

*thumbs up*....:smoke:

7. It's important to make a distinction between society and ethnicity.