A Poem for Pa

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by bosstone, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Well, I wrote this just now, and I want to share it, but I know its not the greatest. The story behind it is as follows:
    Recently my parents found out I was smoking in their house. They told my grandparents. I saw them for the first time since this incident today. You see, I've always had a special bond with my grandfather, but when I walked in the door today, he didn't have the same light in his eyes that he usually does when I walk in. He kept talking about how I would end up like other kids he knew that went from pot to harder drugs. Yes, I know, ignorant, but I love him. It really hurt me. I didn't really think about it much till I was watching Up tonight, and I just kept bawling. I longed to be a kid again. Even when I was an infant he spent a whole lot of time with me. I'm so irritated and upset with what happened today, I guess this just came out. Here it is:

I wasn't meant for this world.
    I'm too proud, too trusting.
    I have to wonder,
    aren't you too trusting too?

Its time for me to take off.
    I need to find a place of my own.
    I hope you can understand
    Its not you I run from,
    but from your world.

I don't give up hope,
    but all of your people do.
    There's nothing here for me.
    I'd say blast off is due.

I can make it in this world, alone.
    Please don't misunderstand
    My actions, they aren't cruel.
    From your world I run.

I've prepared my ship.
    My supplies are in line,
    but I think about it.
    How much you've helped me prepare.

I thank you for all your help.
    But please don't worry.
    Its still you I love,
    but your world isn't me.

I've been cleared for take off.
    But I can't leave yet.
    It's hard to leave you.
    Growing up is hard to do.

Oh, how you've prepared me well.
    I've got skills you've given me.
    I will never forget them.
    A goodbye to youth.

2. its sad when you realise things arent as simple as the youthful days :( you still wish for all the great things and close endearing bonds you had with people but as you grow into your own person a whole load of differences that didnt matter before start showing up.

anyway, sorry to ramble, i liked the poem, conveyed the idea well. my favourite two lines were 'i wont give up hope but all your people do" (or something to that effect, excuse me if im wrong)

maybe it's just me though (or it may have been intentional and im dense) but i felt the word 'world' was overused to the point it began to sound repetitive. i guess a more metaphoric way of describing it would be cool, too. also the last line felt a bit abrupt to me, too.

keep it up man, nice work and sentiment