a newbie first steps : some questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by bekassou, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Hi everybody,

After some years smoking "shit" from dealers I now start to grow my own weed. Since months I'm now living in a very cool place with a lot of space available. A garden is near the house and I grow there lys, rose and others handsome flowers. It's starting to be Winter and I'm thinking with nostalgy of the weed smoked in Amsterdam in July two years ago.

That's the story now let's jump to the grow activity.

In the two last weeks I take a lot of time to browse along growing, curing, ... guides all other the Internet. Finally for convenience reasons I choose to use indoor system in a closet. My idea is to design everything by myself, assemble and not tO buy an 'all in one' growing unit. I'm not a hard addict. At most for me and my buddies we rely on 5 joints / week on week ends. But my interest is to have different species of MJ at hand in order to choose according to the needs and circumstances.

At first I choose the ICE type from :

http://www.buydutchseeds.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=41

For the moment I just received an e-mail from the selling company and they do not retrieved the money from my bank account. They say it takes time.

If anybody has got experience with this society please tell me and give feed back. I'm also searching with a variety that give a very high level effect instead of a stony effect (which I'm not a true fan of).

For the 'hardware' side I've gone to IKEA and bought a VESTBY closet. It's normally used for hanging suits and ties. The basic idea was that : 1/ it's very cheap 35 euros, 2/ it's very light since the wall are made of plastic panels and 3/ it's very design and easy to assemble. I don't use to manufacture anything (electricity, wall painting and so on) at home but it's a very good occasion ta start practicing.

The dimensions of the raw closet is 1.80 x 0.9 x 0.5 meters. It gives then almost 0.5 square meters on a shelf. Below the shelf I'll probably position fertilizers and any goods needed for the garden. There's an horizontal firm-build bar on the top and I put some hookers and chains in order to suspend a panel with fluorescents lamps. The fixations permit to adjust the distance between plants and lights. That was very easy to find it next to my home at a common store. I purchased also 4 neons with plug containing ballast. I put some wires around in order to have in the end one final plug that is used with a timer. I suggest to put the plug repartitor inside the closet in order to have in the end only on wire going out.

[​IMG]

So that's the background, my questions :

1/ With a short calculations and inputs (3 000 lumens by square meters by plant) and according to the fact that my neons are of 26 mm diameter, 60 cm length, 18W, 1300 lumen type I think for 6 plant I need to put maybe 12 neon like that. I've got now 4 and I need to purchase 8 more. My suggestion is to have in the end : 6 warms, 4 cools and 2 daylights from Sylvania. For the one that are suspended on a board to the chains I keep the one previously indicated (I've got only maximum 0.9 meter in width). For the other one I put it on the two lateral side of the closet but I can use 1.20 meter tubes which seems to be known to be better than 0.6 m long ones.

2/ I will use this closet only for vegetative grow. For the moment the walls are not transparent but the daylight can penetrate through it. It's placed in my office and I'll put the light on during day. At night (I can close the window of my desk) normally there's no light at all. Expect when I play with my computer or when I enter the room. Is it sufficient to disturb the plants or do I need to cover the walls with something (mylar, aluminium sheets, ...) ? And for this one do I need an air fan to circulate air into the growing chamber ?

3/ for flowering I'll use another closet like that with basically the same set up but with a HPS or the Agro-type special bulb. For this one I will isolate the interior of the closet from outsdide light. Am I right by saying that I've to prepare for air circulation devices ? I suggest to use PC-alims and fans. Is this reasonnable. In the end after flowering I'll have an occupable space of 1.5 meters high by something close to 0.75 x 0.4 square meters in surface area. How many plants can I have into this space.

In advance thanks for your help.

---