A NEWB AND HIS GROW. Need some help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by chunchiba, Aug 26, 2010.

1. ok i have read about growing for a long time, and i had even grown a few plants once. Though i only really bought a light and soil and left the rest up to chance. I grew more mushrooms in the bottom of the soil then the plants took up, needless to say i am trying again with a higher budget and more planning.

I will have a 5x3 tent, and 4x2 hydroponics ebb n flow setup. One of the few questions i have left is, what is the most amount of plants i can get in there, and how much of a yield (generally) would it produce. I do not really want to go for any particular method, the height of the tent is high, so i would like to grow some tall ladies. Not asking for exact numbers, as nature isn't an exact number, just round abouts. I have severe anhedonia and i require alot to function as of right now(changing slowly). I personally was hoping for about 12 plants and praying to the gods for maybe an oz per, but a half 0 seems more likely. Its just one of those things you do not want to wait 4 months for only to find out u have made enough to last 2. The prices in this country is staggering and to pay 20 bucks for a bud that's 1/100th of what comes on one plant seems insane. :smoking: When everything arrives i will set it up and keep a weekly journal on here, if i am going to ask questions the least i can do is provide you with my journal for reference or whatever else.

2. Do you know what kind of lighting you are going to use? What are the genetics going to be? From seeds or clones? Need more info to help you out. If you are not wanting to wait 4 months then maybe growing isn't for you. On the other hand you could always get some autoflowering strains. I've heard some really good things about the AK-47 auto as far as yield and potency (over and O per plant) and it only takes 60-75 days from seed to be ready for harvest.

3. In a 5x3 tent i would use a 600w light at least 800w - 1000w would be better but you will probably want to use a cool-tube in there if you go that high to keep your temps down. IF you want to grow your girls tall then you should really make sure they have some breathing room. You should be able to bring up 6 with plenty of room for them to branch out a bit in there but still give you a decent yield.

4. #4 chunchiba, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2010
    no i do not mind waiting 4 months, i mind waiting 4 months with an inadequate supply to hold me :p, as for everything else, 400 hps w/hortibulb ebb n flow hydroponics, ak-47 and white widow(the white widow is the hybrid one)and the ak is (bc). Seed/feminized.

5. #5 chunchiba, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2010
    very conflicting reports, so i was just curious what would be said when i asked the question. 6, i might push for a few more :p and hope for the best, but that is what i really figured for my set up. What do you consider a decent yield tho? Thank you very much for the information on that. I am curious as to what southern has to say about it as well.

6. Really a lot depends on the strain - First and foremost i would suggest you start with a bag seed grow. You can fit a bunch of them in your tent and don't top but you will learn all about the stupid mistake without wasting serious cash on good seeds. With very few exceptions the first time anybody grows even if they study up first they make big mistakes and lose a few plants. Bag seed is more resilient normally and will be easier for you to let the bad plants go for a better quality first grow.

But anyway some strains like blueberry need to be topped for maximum yield. In a case like that i would do 6. Now in other strains topping will only give you the same amount bud but in smaller colas, in that case i would probably do 10 or more and not top them.

If you want to grow tall plants you need more room for them to bush out, when you see people saying you can fit a lot more they are talking about a SOG (Sea Of Green) grow - you only let them get a foot high in veg at most then you flower - normally without topping (due to the already limited space). This will give you more bud in a shorter time overall but if you aren't using clones this can be very expensive if you are buying your seeds.

7. I think 6 is a good number to go for. That way you can experiment with different strains but not get too crazy and in over your head. Going with some bagseed is always a good idea as far as the price goes (cant be free!) but with that it's anyone's guess as to whether or not any of them will be female. Even with the 50/50 chance of getting some females, in my opinion it would still be better to go with proven genetics like the ak-47 or white widow you mentioned. With these proven winners you know that you will get a high quality smoke and yields anywhere from 3-6 ounces per plant if everything goes well (just a guess btw)

8. Im growing blueberry right now and didnt top them and it actually stayed very bushy and low to the ground but i think i will try that next time just to see how it goes...I did top my durban poison and it is looking to help quite a bit...two big mail colas on top instead of 1!

9. You know, i used to use this stuff in my teen years, actually since i was like 12 lol, mainly for recreation. But the fact is, i know sort of need it as medicine. So i just want this to go right :p, now this is not my first grow, and i understand most of what i have to do. My first grow was a terrible experience, i had no money for ph tester, so i used cheap fish ph sticks, which couldn't accurately tell you the ph. My ph was probably around 2.0 lol. I started with 12 plants, ended up with 6 living threw week 3, and only 1 of them showed promise. Then the mushrooms came! DUM DUM DUM, and grew out of the soil in the bottom of the pots. I also fed them about 5 times a day lol, with some strong stuff. Man it was terrible, but long story short, even through that i managed to keep that 1 guy alive for so long :p. I am pretty sure i know what i need to do, but only time in grow will tell. Trust me i will be sure to let you guys know about my adventures and idiocies. :hello:

10. oh yea, most places i read said that i would get about a half 0 per plant which is why i figured so many. Might they have been talking about sog?

11. Yes SOG plants arent very tall there are just a lot - if you grow your plants to 4 ft+ end height you can easily get 3+oz of dank.

12. After his first grow absolutely go for something with good genetics but the first grow should always be bag seed - you don't want to screw up a good seed grow when you are learning.

13. PH tester is your #1 important tool. a fish tank ph tester (the drops that go in the test vial of water) will do fine you can test they PH of your water you are giving them and also test the Run-off water.

14. mandala in a scrog...hashberry...get a 10 pack regs...grow em out....pick the best females 4/5/6 ...great genetics...killer high...big yeild.....scrog it...monster yeild of dank...little tougher than plantin' femmed..but the work pays off...also barneys lsd or red dragon:smoking:600 hps ...maybe cool tube depending on surrounding air temps..check out scrogs...also coco

15. all very helpful thank you.