A new project

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by mrsmichigan, Mar 10, 2012.

1. [quote name='"mrsmichigan"']I officially moved - now a member of the organic indoor grow journals :)[/quote]

Lucky you, I want mine moved. How did you get that done.

2. I sent a message to
    Patriofarmer and explained I had converted and asked to move, also gave him a link to the thread I wanted moved. I had a message back that it was done a few hours later.

3. I went and checked things out tonight. I had to add my tea (or sorry excuse for it) to my soil and turn it as I'm leaving for a couple of days for work.

I put my seeds directly in the dirt and have been spraying them a couple of times a day with a mister. I've had very good luck with nearly everything I've ever grown with this method, figured it shouldn't be any different for MJ. I was getting a little worried about my white dwarf and AK as usually things show signs by now so I dug around really carefully. One of my dwarfs has a tap root started, the AKs do not. I moved the 3 left overs to the paper towel method. Will see if anything changes by the time I'm back.

I'm not sure why I decided to move them to towels, I'm getting impatient and should just relax on this! The only thing that's ever given me problems were some old pepper seeds. (Jalapeno, really odd arizona blends that I wanted). Otherwise, everything else has gone directly to dirt with good succes. I've never paid this much for seeds before though, money seems to be doing something like that.

4. Agreed! You will do a lot more harm messing with them.

You said you put your tea in your soil mix? What's your tea?

You really are motivated!

I honestly don't know a lot about thermal composting. I've been looking for a good while for a post LD made comparing thermal compost to vermicompost. Basically, worm compost beats thermal composting in most ways. At least for our needs. That's what I remember but shit I could be wrong. There are a lot of things that the worms cant eat but a thermal compost pile can handle no problem. I know a lot of people have a compost pile that they let sit and then feed to their worms. I kind of do that as well.

Anyway, composting of any kind is good. I know that much! And I know that having a quality source of EWC is one of the most important things you can do as an organic gardener. So, I say do both or start with the worms.

Maybe we can get some more experienced guys in here :hello:

5. lol, I took my cues from Jerry's thread. The tea was just alpha meal with a cup of worm castings. I let it brew a little over 48 hours, stirred and shook the hell out of it every time I thought of it and was home.

6. Hell yeah man! Already doing shit I didn't do my first grow ;)

Excited to see what you can accomplish in the coming months.

:D

7. Yeah me too, hoping I don't just mess up and totally destroy my first set :)

8. u and me both man

9. several little roots tonight. One of them was going the wrong way so I had to dig a little hole next to it and help it tip over the right way. Stupid little seedlings.

10. or am I stupid, now I'm starting to question myself :( crap

11. [quote name='"mrsmichigan"']several little roots tonight. One of them was going the wrong way so I had to dig a little hole next to it and help it tip over the right way. Stupid little seedlings.[/quote]

Prob best to let em be :)

12. I feel like I want to just stand there until it pops through the soil. I'm so pumped! Can't wait to get them under the LED and see what goes on. So far I've got 2 auto flowers that have popped and 2 regulars. I'm pretty stoked, just need them to poke through the top of the soil now.

I'm sticking with my tried and true method of seed germination. Plant them in the cup you want them in, spray with a mister/sprayer of water so you don't move the dirt around about twice a day. I'll probably cover them with saran wrap to keep more moisture in, seems to speed things up in my experience.

So excited right now.

13. I've had 100% with this method: plant em in rockwool or jiffy pucks and puttin em in the cabinet above the stove(before I got a heat mat)...that's it....I found that germing them in paper towels is too nerve-wracking...this way when they break the surface, all I gotta do is transplant em into the chosen medium...this is of course a whole lot easier to do with something holding the precious little taproot stable and away from light...

Hope this helps! Happy growing bro!:)

14. I've got 4 sprouts this morning through my soil! None of my autos have popped up yet, but I see signs of one of them about to! 4 little stalks with a seed half hanging on to the top of them!

How long til I put them under the big light? Right now I put them under the CFLs so I don't burn them, but how long til they go under a stronger light?

15. a lot of ppl put em under the big light right away, but if you have other plants already under it that wouldnt be good for them as you would have to back the light off on the seedlings...leave em under the cfls until they have their 2nd to 3rd set of true leaves...:)

16. #76 MGB, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
    Hello Mrsmic,

I myself generally go about 2 weeks under low light from the time they pop. This also kind of coincides with my transplant from 16 oz. cups into 1 gal pots. Even at that point I don't whack them full bore. I will slowly lower the light a little bit at a time until I get to my desired height above plant. But then again I am never in a rush. I am sure there are many that do it differently. It is kind of one of those things "different strokes for different folks."

HTH

MGB

17. I'll leave em under CFL, that'll work well. It'll be about 2-3 weeks until my soil is done cooking. I'm so excited!

18. That sounds just about right...you got things under control I see....:)

19. Only by appearance kdiesel, we will see if I really do in the coming months.

Today's update:
    7 of my 11 ladies have popped through. Some a little more than others.
    Oddly, the 4 that haven't are my auto flowers, the ones I was hoping would be done quickly :( Grrrr So all of my regular fem seeds are going and the 4 autos are being stubborn. I'll give em another week before I start to really worry. I saw what I saw was a tap root from one, turned out to just be a little root/stick in the seedling soil :( (face palm)

7 ladies under 136 watts of CFLs, 4 remain in cups, moist in a box in the grow room.
    Now I just need that soil to work out without killing them. I'll probably only transplant one of my ladies just to be sure.

20. Hello, mrsmichigan, nice journal so far. I'll be following along if ya don't mind. I'm really interested in seeing what your lights do for your plants. Good luck! :smoke: