A new project

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by mrsmichigan, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Thanks MM (sorry, the "Mrs" thing feels weird now that I know you're not one!).

So, are you any closer to figuring out what you'll do for mom lighting now?

2. I agree half price is a steal and if you look at the upper end LEDs most are not close to wattage as the Solarstorm and charge the same or near it without the discount. With the Discount it out powers most if not all LEDs at that pricepoint. Blackstar 900w pulls about 600 watts.

Techie to so way back when someone said you could grow with LEDs which are cool in any sense I was sold!

3. yeah MX, if you knew my real name it would explain why I picked Mrs :)

4. Ok, all of my seedlings are in the dirt.

2 x AK #2 lowryder Auto Fem
    2 x White Dwarf Auto Fem
    2 x Blue Cheese Fem
    2 x THC Bomb Fem
    1 x White Widow Fem (free)
    1 x Purple Haze Fem (free)
    1 x Blue Widow Fem (free)

I ran out of jiffy pots :( Had to improvise

Attached Files:

• 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      794.6 KB
      Views:
  5. Gud job man I been lurkin tryin to play catchup...lovin the diy skills...my wife actually didn't find out about my first grow until I was halfway thru veg....the basement truly is a mysterious place....

6. It sure is kdiesel. My sons are both terrified of the place, they won't even go down there with me, let alone to the farthest, darkest corner of it. I'll show her eventually.

We also brew wine, I saw someone else brewing beer in their grow cabinet and the CO2 came for free. I think I'll start a batch once I get my ladies into flowering later this year.

7. Make sure you look into that quite often the yeast in a bottle is fail. There is about 390-400 ppm of Co2 in the atmosphere and providing less or equal doesn't really do anything. You need to replace the Oxygen in the air with a substantial amount of Co2 to get any benefit like a 4-5x increase over 400ppm. Over 2000 retards growth but 1500 or so you can have the heat up to 95 and experience massive growth. If your temps are under 80 adding C02 really doesnt do anything.

Thats why theres so much gear for C02..tanks, detectors, lines to disperse it. If you get a tank and the gear you can precisely regulate it. Usually yeast in a bottle only results in a nice moldy stinky soup.

8. Rats, ok more reading and probably a forumn thread to be started about it. I was thinking for the part where it's in the bucket for the first month or two. It bubbles and releases TONs of gas during that time, for the rest of the brewing in the carboid, I'd probably move it out.

I think my temp will be hovering just above 80 once I have both the veg and flower areas cooking full time. It was just a thought, I'm also not sure I'll even have room for a big bucket in my room :)

9. Get a big C02 tank..about 100 bucks. Hydro stores have them, then the regulator and line to disperse it. You can have the tank outside your grow area and the tubing that carries it is thin.

10. #50 HappyBuds, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2012
    MrsM,

It's awesome you're so enthusiastic about all of this! You really are jumping in head first! You don't have to listen to my advice (i won't be offended!) but I suggest not investing in the CO2 just yet. CO2 is like NOS of the street racing world... or something.

Basically, I feel like you would benefit putting your money into a lot of other things first before getting the CO2. For example you could start a worm farm so you can have your own EWC for teas and your soil mix. Have a problem with a plant? Top dress with EWC! Building a tea brewer, worm bin, things like that would be more beneficial to getting your system really dialed in. Then you can add the CO2.

I know you're going to great! It's just that as a new grower it's kind of expected that you will have some issues and what not and it's usually best to work those out before doing something like CO2.

Just my $0.02! Either way excited for ya man!

Edit: One way I justify the worms, brewer, etc is I'm going to be gardening organic veggies as well this spring. That way I have a good reason to need these things and I have the benefit of fresh organic veggies. I was going to go all out with a raised garden but I think I'm just going to do a container grow in my back yard. Wife is super excited! Maybe your wife would be too? Gardening is pretty damn fun. Just think how surprised your wife will be when you start making her BLTs with fresh organic tomatoes you grew!

11. I agree guys, I don't plan on buying one. Just thought that if it was helpful and I was brewing anyway, I'd let the plants get some.

The next up is the compost pile/heap. I've been looking at plans and will probably knock that out next weekend. I put my indoor plants out in the sun today, so wonderful that spring is early. I plan on having to bring them in a few times yet, but for now there's no frost/freezing in site.

Worms I'm just not sure yet. I found a place that sells them but I don't get to pick what they eat.

12. Yeah, I understand what you meant.

Remember that you're interested in red worms (Eisenia fetida). These are not the same as the worms that most people use for fishing (European Nightcrawlers, although they have a place in composting as well). You might get lucky and find a good source of EWC locally. I would also check Craigslist. I ordered my worms from Red Worm Composting. I was happy with them and others on GC have used them.

I guess you have to ask your self how much you want to get into organics. I think it's pretty awesome! The more you get into it the more you're making trips to the local feed/grain store and not the local hydro store. So much of what you will learn will apply to your other gardens as well.

You can buy bagged mass produced EWC. But they usually come from Canada where they use the worms to recycle their paper. Worms love carbon but like any system you only get out what you put in. The quality of those castings are nothing like the quality you will get when you feed your worms like kings.

A lot of the things that you would put in your soil mix you simply feed to your worms. Most people feed their worms horse manure as the primary food source and add many things in. A lot of people also feed their worms their veggie scraps but veggies are just mostly water and usually don't have much value in terms of what it could add to your soil.

If you want to go full organic then quality EWC is important. I believe there are a few places that sell quality EWC online. Not sure Ill look for that. But, if for example you want to go "mostly" organic and you're still going to use some bottled nutes, etc then I say forget it. For me it's either a all or nothing type of deal.

Here's an idea... Go 100% Organic. Get your self a small worm bin going and a little ACT Brewer. If your kids are young they might find it fun putting little scraps in your worm bin. With the castings you can make some killer compost teas and use them on all of your indoor / outdoor plants. I realize this isn't everyone's cup of tea... and not every wife is as understanding as mine. LOL

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do!

Hey - you just do what you want/need to do! Just growing your own damn weed is pretty freaking cool regardless of if it's organic or not.

13. Yea man the enthusiasm is amazing i thought i been cramming work in and im a little in over my head on my first grow. But you man yoou got your shit coverd. Grats in advance man

14. Killa, you got a bigger picture of your avatar? I'm interested... :D

Agreed, this guys on it! :D

15. #55 H3rbOshin, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2012
    @ happybuds Yea in my grow journal check it out should be reltivly close to the newest post.

16. [quote name='"HappyBuds"']

Yeah, I understand what you meant.

Remember that you're interested in red worms (Eisenia fetida). These are not the same as the worms that most people use for fishing (European Nightcrawlers, although they have a place in composting as well). You might get lucky and find a good source of EWC locally. I would also check Craigslist. I ordered my worms from Red Worm Composting. I was happy with them and others on GC have used them.

I guess you have to ask your self how much you want to get into organics. I think it's pretty awesome! The more you get into it the more you're making trips to the local feed/grain store and not the local hydro store. So much of what you will learn will apply to your other gardens as well.

You can buy bagged mass produced EWC. But they usually come from Canada where they use the worms to recycle their paper. Worms love carbon but like any system you only get out what you put in. The quality of those castings are nothing like the quality you will get when you feed your worms like kings.

A lot of the things that you would put in your soil mix you simply feed to your worms. Most people feed their worms horse manure as the primary food source and add many things in. A lot of people also feed their worms their veggie scraps but veggies are just mostly water and usually don't have much value in terms of what it could add to your soil.

If you want to go full organic then quality EWC is important. I believe there are a few places that sell quality EWC online. Not sure Ill look for that. But, if for example you want to go "mostly" organic and you're still going to use some bottled nutes, etc then I say forget it. For me it's either a all or nothing type of deal.

Here's an idea... Go 100% Organic. Get your self a small worm bin going and a little ACT Brewer. If your kids are young they might find it fun putting little scraps in your worm bin. With the castings you can make some killer compost teas and use them on all of your indoor / outdoor plants. I realize this isn't everyone's cup of tea... and not every wife is as understanding as mine. LOL

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do!

Hey - you just do what you want/need to do! Just growing your own damn weed is pretty freaking cool regardless of if it's organic or not.[/quote]

This is what I aspire to I jus haven't gotten started yet...the whole worm bin compost pile thing seems sorta daunting to get into...

17. I'm thinking of building a composter this coming weekend.

Right now this one is the one I like best and feel I could knock out in an afternoon for a couple hundred bucks. I've got some spare treated lumber laying around, just need to get more, hinges and some wire/screen.

I don't/haven't looked at worm farming info just yet. Are there setups that cover both? or do I need a compost and the worm harvesting thing? Just not sure which way to go on this.

18. I officially moved - now a member of the organic indoor grow journals :)

19. Seeds:

I got my 1st batch from Dr Chronic
    Blue Cheese Fem
    THC Bomb Fem

The second came from Attitude
    White Dwarf Auto Fem (Budda)
    AK 47 #2 Auto Fem
    White Widow Fem
    Blue Widow Fem
    Purple Haze Fem

I had them take out the seed insert/information for some reason, thought it would be stealthier, but not sure I needed to do it at all seeing how they came.

They all showed up, but the ones from Attitude came 3 weeks faster, I was actually starting to thing the others wouldn't show up at all, they took about a month. But, they're all here and hopefully the sprout.

20. Nirvana is good too ;)