A new plan to legalize marijuana in the USA

Discussion in 'General' started by Tray34, Nov 18, 2002.

1. After the shutdown of 3 important initatives earlier this month, I decided to come up with a plan that might be able to get the majority in certain states.
    The plan invloves decriminalization and legalization. First, it would lower the penalities for simple posession, for adults, to fines only. Secondly it would allow adults to purchase a license for personal use and to grow themselves. It would be similar to a building or burning permit that would have to be renewed each year at a price of $100 (that price could be higher, it all depends on whether or not people who don't smoke feel that that price would discourage adults who don't smoke already from obtaining a license). The license would allow people to grow up to 5 plants for personal use and the use of other licensed smokers. All fees for the license would go to the creation of a small office to handle the paperwork for the licenses. After the creation of the office, all fees would go to the education fund for the state in question. The license would be somewhat similar to a driver's license... failure to comply with regulations would result in fines and/or a suspension of the license and/or the ability to obtain a license.
    I personally feel that an initative using this for a basis would have a real chance of being passed in certain states because it addresses nearly all of the concerns that people who voted against other initatives had. I appreciate any critisim or questions that you might have.

2. That sounds similar to the system they have in the Netherlands.

I think that's the way Canada and the Uk are going with decriminalisation. It's the first step in our long walk to freedom.