A new grower in need of advice

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Buddychronic, Jan 31, 2018.

1. So I am day 8 from sprouting
    Here is my set up:

Seeds: 3 auto white widows from Sensi seeds

Light: Viparspectra 600w LED

Medium: coco coir 70% perlite 30%

Container: 11l fabric pot

Also in a grow tent 80x80x200
    Inline fan and fan with carbon filter, with a desk fan to circulate air better.

Using general hydroponics trio and calmag for nutrients. Although at moment i am just using calmag and an 1/8 of the recommended nutrients (I use a feed chart someone with much more experience made).

So all seems fine so far. Just on the second set of leaves, but the other day I noticed a small brown spot on one of the leaves.
    I didn't think much of it, thought it could have been a water droplet that has dried, but today it seems to have spread on the leaf. Any advice would be swell.
    It is only on one, I will put a picture of another as comparison. 20180130_170740.jpg 20180131_092238.jpg

2. Way to early for nutes is my personal opinion I waited 3 weeks before any nutes

3. I just thought as coco coir has no nutrients that they need something. Something like 0.6-1.4ml per gallon using the GH trio. And 5ml of calmag. I did read a lot about putting no nutrients, but that seemed to apply more to soil mediums.

Still the other two plants look pretty good. It's just the mark on the one plant. Is this an error I made?
    I had a electronic ph reader at first and did my first watering with it. Found out the day after (using strips) that my ph reader was way off due to the high maitenence involved. (think the water on my first feeding was definetly under 4.5 ph) let it dry out though and have watered twice since, just in a small circle around the plants. I noticed a little slowing of growth, but has got back up to speed in the last 3 days or so.

4. 9C34DA4D-72B3-4C64-8C21-20DC67CEAAF1.jpeg I’m also in coco I burned mine with to many nutes to early I still give no where near the recommended dose and I’m 9 days into flower

5. You are correct that coco has to be feed as soon it gets its real leaves. Coco can also cause issues with magnesium and calcium. That is why there are Coco specific nutes to help keep your grow in line.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Great advice if the OP were growing in soil. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. What is your pH going in and coming out? I suggest you feed 1/4 strength nutes to run off and never use plain water. Also consider using the Lucas formula for coco - 6ml micro and 9ml of bloom - no grow at all.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Well my way of measuring is checking two colours on a stick but I would say very comfortably around 6.0 probably just under.
    I haven't actually checked what it is coming out the other side, but a did get some good quality coco coir in a 50l bag.

A question; wouldn't feeding it nutes every watering eventually lead to salt build up in the coco, even with the runoff?
    All my information does come from various forums and diaries, so I am merely repeating what I have read for the time being, I just read that it is good to water with ph'ed water every other watering so the nutrients don't build and cause issues down the road.

9. I’d still say let the roots search for nutes before giving just my opinion

10. What nutes would the roots be searching for? Coco is inert - there are no nutes.

11. Always feed and keep the coco wet. I actually feed 3x a day on a timer. If the coco does not dry out and you have good runoff the salt won't build up. I don't flush until the end of my grow.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  12. i agree with phil, gotta keep the coco moist, you can go every other day but lighter feeding more frequently is the way to go in my experience. also if you dont have an accurate way to measure ph, look in beneficial bacteria, like mykos and akos or great white, there are tons of options but that will help buffer the coco and allow a wider range of tolerance and keep it the ph in check

• Like Like x 1
  13. I wait a week after plant breaks soil before I give nutes and when I do I just give seaweed extract for 2 weeks

• Like Like x 1
  14. The same plant is showing different issues now. No idea what it could be or why it isn't affecting the other 2. 1517908172087.jpg 1517908175548.jpg

15. Have u started nutes yet if so what’s your ph