A New Grow Room

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bud Nukem, Jan 26, 2009.

1. #61 Bud Nukem, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2009
    Here is what happened today:

Attic Wires from the box.jpg
    Wires pulled to attic. Wires in attic

Wires In!.jpg
    More Attic Wires Wires into Grow Rooms

Wire Pull1.jpg
    Exploding Wires at Box! Pulling wires to box.

Wires In The Room2.jpg
    Wires in rooms-Boxes in background

All Done!.jpg [​IMG]
    All Wired Up at Box!! Wires Ready for Tomorrow!@

So, at about 11 AM tomorrow, the boxes will be done with the rough in, and the other bros are coming back to seal up the walls, get doors on, get vent holes cut, etc.

Should be a lot of fun...we should be ready to get some flouros up real quick here, and get some seeds germinating!! Yee Haw!!!:yay:

Attached Files:

2. Yee Fuckin HAw!:hello: Love wiring. How many circuits are you going to have?

3. They tell me 7...I thought he would never get the wires back in the friggin box!!!

The cost for parts wasn't bad at all, and I am totally covered on what I will need, plug wise.

God dammit this is exciting!!!

On the light traps, Don...what size PVC pipe do you use? My brother is looking at me like I am a fuckin nut...he is telling me it's like 37 bucks for each ninety degree turn...is he right about that?

I hope you read this soon...hehe

4. Well what size are we talking? I use 4" pvc elbows (around $8 a piece) just double or triple them up into a rat maze.

BUt, you are using way more light, and will need bigger fan, and that equates to bigger light traps.

What size fan?

5. ohhh, and are they 15a or 20a circuits, or a combo of both?

6. #66 Bud Nukem, Feb 6, 2009

I will be using a 6" fan, and so I am figuring i will need to get the 6" PVC. I will just do enough painted bends at each end of the run to to block any light. And then the insulated flexible ducting.

For the circuits, it is a mix of the 15a and 20a.

Here is how they ended up today:
    Wired Box.jpg

Down Finished Garage Door.jpg

Through Rooms.jpg

From Mama to Other End.jpg

So, now I have to wait for these lazy bastages to come back on like Monday to finish insulating, and sheeting it up, so that the wiring can get finished off in the rooms. Then, before I can get the fans & lights and all the rest of the stuff hung up and connected, we need to coat the rooms with like 5 coats of the elastomeric coating.

You ended up doing like 4 or 5 coats, didn't you, Don? I saw it is a 24 hour cure. Did you use primer at all?

We have a workable plan, I believe, for intake and venting of the lights, thanks to your input as well.

I do have to go pick up some of the needed items this weekend, anyways. I hate the waiting in between jobs, though. It really does suck. I am told it builds character.

:smoke:

Attached Files:

7. Thats a big 10-4. But good luck finding 6" pvc. If you are using insulated ducting, you should get 8"to6" reducers and mount those to the wall so you have extra flange to tape the insulation to. If you don't understand my meaning, please ask for elaboration. Id be happy to draw for ya. Then get some 8" steel duct work for chimneys to make your light traps. Will be cheaper than (what I can't ever seem to find) 6" pvc elbows. Biggest I can find on the shelf is 4".
    That is awesome about the amount of power running out there. Just awesome!
    Yup around 24 hrs cure, I believe (don't quote me because it has been a while since I have seen the back of a can of that stuff) you have to recoat within 1 hour (or something like that) or you have to wait 24hrs. So you dont have to wait days to get it done. The vapors will linger for a day or 2, but as long as you leave it open for a day, it will be fine. I have used a few brands of that stuff, and it all works and looks the same.

Looking sweeeeeet as always. Wish I had a med card, I'd be doing it Bud Nukem sized.:smoke::smoke:

8. If you wouldn't mind drawing that out, I would be most grateful.

My bro even mentioned getting some chimney duct work to make the bends out of. I didn't think they would be light and air proof, but the joints could could all be taped (no pun intended) I guess, to ensure that they would be airtight. He did say that he didn't think 6" PVC would be easy to find, too.

As long as the power doesn't go out while I am not around, and/or for an extended period, we should be golden, for as long as we have the rooms, I am hoping.

I may do the first room in visquine and mylar, to get the first crop rolling, and do the second room the Elastomeric method. I guess I could show a little more patience...but it is becoming increasingly difficult...hehehe.

Yeah well...if you hit your target for your box's yield, you will probably have more than a two month yield of mine, I am thinking.

And I am thinking you will...:eek:

Thanks for the kind words, sound advice, and encouragement!!

9. no problem, Ill get on that. gimmie a few minutes.

Best thing for your application. Yup tape away. Gotta love that aluminum tape.

My concern is the same here.
    No doubt you will be as long as that does not happen.
    Have you figured out how many amps everything draws, and mapped that out yet?

Man I recommend not doing that, but to each his own. I know how hard it is waiting. I was out with alot of BS in the beginning, but am back full force now. The fumes if you paint room2 while room 1 is going may not be a good idea. Just be paitient, it is in you. Do it up.

I hope It is as large as planned in my head, this is why I am not jumping in and running tests. I just cut a 50 clone test tonight.
    And you are welcome for all my man. be back in a bit with pic.:smoke:

10. I hope this explains it well. :hello:I call it my Master Piece:hello:. lol If not, let me know.
    It will require that you use 8" elbows for light traps though, but it will be worth it for the ease of attachment for your insulated ducting.:smoke:

Attached Files:

11. *Wipes away a tear*

Yes Don...that is a Masterpiece!!

I am printing the diagram for my bro...thanks so much!!

And after considering all of the Bullshit you went through to get that cab up and running (including the loss of your plants), back trouble, frggin appendix...

I will do the rooms up in the roofing compound. I do know it's the permanent solution...This waiting is killing me...but good things come to those that wait...so wait I shall.

What if I had it painted first, though? Like a white type primer to get to the white sooner than like 5 coats of the compound? We will be putting the compound on with a coarse nap roller, so it can be pretty thick, I think. That way, I could get the "white" going, and be done in like two heavy coats of the compound...

Is there a downside to doing that, that I may be missing? It would cut a couple of days, for sure, off of being able to get the 1st room operational.

Thanks again for the diagram...it is perfect!!

12. Looks nice man. Your pics show up on the page but you can't maximize them, FYI.

13. Thanks Jim...I have tried everything on the thumbnails, and can't get them to be maximizable...I guess I will have to go read the Help section...I am such a noob!

14. #74 Bud Nukem, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
    OK...sorry about all previously unenlargeable pics, folks.

No more of that, going forward!

I never uploaded them to this site...I get it...DOH!!

15. Looks like it's coming along nicely, Bud. It will be so rewarding when you see the fruits of your labor; and when you do it with skill/joy it makes it that much better. Here's to your grow; and to keeping up that 'no-corners-cut' standard you've established thus far!

16. glad you like the masterpiece

The white primer (kilz premium or zinsser 123) should be used anyway. I built up 5 coats of elasto. But after the first coat, it started making the wood bleed through. So I primered 2 coats over that, and then did 4 coats extra of the elasto. So my suggetion.. Use the primer, and the elasto. You can lay that stuff on pretty thick in 1 coat if you roll it on and use a 1.5" nap roller (i had only 3/4").
    Just lay it on thick enough so that if you bump into it with a sharp edge of something, it is not enough to bring you down to the wood. Have hit mine many times with many things and it never exposes wood.:smoke: Glad to hear of your patience.:smoke:

17. #77 Bud Nukem, Feb 7, 2009

I will definitely primer the bajeezus out of the wood first; I think that could make all the difference. I could end up with 4 total coats, including Primer, and be all sealed, and reflective to boot.

I feel just awful about making you folks scrutinize all those previous pictures! I am going to go fix all of them tonight. That way, people can really get a look at it. Such a noob I am!

I'll get everyone of those bastages, since the thread started!! :)

EDIT - They should all be good to go Thumbnails now...Sweet!!

18. So what, I just have to put on my reading glasses to see your pics. Don't bother me any, I still get the jist of it. Yeah, if you lay it on thick, 3 coats of elasto over 1 good coat of primer will do it for sure.

19. OK...tomorrow they will be getting the walls up, and hopefully most if not all of the ducting stuff finished up. I got the 6" metal 90 degree corners, intakes, etc. I am going to need to get a few more, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I am hoping to have a first coat (or two, maybe) of Killz on by tomorrow night...God Willing.

They have to spray paint the inside of the ducts, and then I will probably need to seal them all up. Electro-Bro needs to get back over, and get the boxes finished up. I need to get the hooks up for the lights, and as much stuff as I can that won't mess up the Elasto coating, but doesn't make getting the coating on too hard to do.

Then, everything gets Elastomericized. I'll have time to get all of the ducting light traps etc. all done up pretty, given that curing time. Then, while that is going on, I will get the cabinet light strung up for the seedlings, and prepare the area in the main space for the mother plant.

Hopefully, I will be able to germinate my seeds on Wednesday this week, and know for sure that I can get them into a finished Room #1 as soon as they sprout enough roots & leaves.

As long as they can get all of the walls done tomorrow, and coatings on by Friday, I should be in good shape. Work is a little slow this week for my brother, so he may be able to spend a little quality time with me :)

I will have to have my significant other take some pictures, as i will be at work tomorrow. I will get them posted as soon as I get home!!!

YEE_FUCKING_HAW!!!

:hello::yay::hello::yay:

20. Glad to see you have not germd yet. So many growers jump the gun without having the grow room finished. I have myself.