A new exoplanet discovery.

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Mantikore, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Another exoplanet has been discovered, Named Qatar-1b. It's a Jupiter-like planet. It orbits an orange star 550 light years away. They are saying it only takes 34 hours to orbit the star. Imagine if our year was only 34 hours... Suspected to be tidally locked with the star, meaning one side is always facing the star. Kind of like how our moon always faces us. Located about 2.2 million miles away from the star. Seems like a lot, but it really isn't in terms of the universe. The closest Mercury gets to the Sun is 29 million miles... Yet this planet is 20% larger than Jupiter.

Now if we could only find more super-Earths Gliese 581d...

[​IMG]
    CfA Press Room

2. :eek: is that a sun snake?

Attached Files:

3. It's just an artist rendition of the planet and it's star, but that would be a solar flare. Sorry for a dry response, I can't tell if your post was sarcasm :eek:

4. i was being sarcastic lol

5. Lol, thank god dude. :smoking:

6. I lol'd

7. Nuke it just in case.

8. I love these posts. +rep

9. damn dude, i heard there was like over a billion planets alone in our galaxy,
    crazy man....how it big and all :smoke:

10. Qatar of all things. :confused:

11. Yeah, it'd be nice if they could be a lil more creative... I guess the dude who found it is from there. Prolly just doomed all Earth like planets in that solar system to be covered in sand.

12. This sort of ties in with another thread I been reading. Do you know if that planet is in front or behind the earth. If the universe is contantly expanding it makes sence that we are rotating in some sort of direction. The only reason why I think we should have some bearing on a direction is supposively we can see planets that are a billion years away from actually appearing in that exact same state.

13. Wait, what? I was only joking because Qatar is mainly all sand. Now anymore planets discovered there will probably be stuck with that name. As for infront or behind Earth, I don't know what you mean. It's distance to it's star is a lot closer than Earth is to the Sun, if that's what you mean?

14. Check out the link [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj--PHcUmuw]YouTube - Horizon: Do You Know What Time It Is? (Part 3 of 6)[/ame]

15. Im not sure, it must mean that this planet is moving with us. Its hard to find any info on this stuff.

16. if i understood what you said (or the other person) before correctly the answer is our rotation doesn't matter. What matters is that the rotation of the planet around it's host star has to be on the same plane that is in-line with our view. Our planet is rotating so slow with respect to our galaxy that where we are in the year doesn't make a difference when compared to where we are in the galaxy.

Of course this also comes with the side note that how we detect the planet (the technique used) effects the types of planets we can see. Of course it's "easier" to see the Jupiter/Saturn sized planets because 1) they have a larger gravitational pull on their host sun and 2) they block more of the sun if their orbit is "in line" with our view of it's orbital path.

Currently the only way we can see "earth sized" planets is if they orbit in between our view of their host star and us. Although this will change very quickly once the planned telescopes are put into operation in "orbit" of the earth. (it's not actually in orbit but at points called Lagrange(sp?) points, points where the pull of the earth and the moon equal out so no extra energy is needed to keep it in it's position)

I hope I didn't go into too much detail for the answer (like i normally do), if I did let's hope MeIT comes and gives the better version of my answer :D

p.s. I'm so glad you guys are all here. Without this whole section of these boards I'd feel like a freak of nature. I don't know how Newton and those guys did it with only letters only every few months from their fellow lovers of science. + rep for all you son of bitches :smoke:

17. Well it's in our galaxy.. It's 550 light years away. It was just discovered, so it's a lil too early to tell if that star system is moving closer or father away from us. If that's what you're asking? I am still a lil confused by "moving with us".

I watched that video and I am still not picking up on what you're asking, lol. There were 3 different theories talked about there. Well 2 and a half cause I don't feel like watching the other 5 videos of the series. The first guy was saying that the farther we look out, the farther back in time we're looking. I don't agree with his theory. The light from the Sun takes 8 minutes to reach us. Meaning if the Sun blew up right now, we wouldn't know until 8 minutes later. That doesn't mean we're looking 8 minutes into the past, that simply means it take 8 minutes to get to us... If the farthest galaxy away that we can see is 8.8 billion light years away, that means that currently, that galaxy is 8.8 billion years older that what we are seeing at this moment.

The second guy was talking about how light stretches and that's why supernovas farther away from us look different colors. That may be true, I don't know about stretching light to be honest. But to me, light is a spectrum. Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet. I would think the colors on the back end of the spectrum are dying off as they travel. It's why sunsets and sunrises are red/orange, the atmosphere filters off the back end as it travels through. Yeah, it's possible that the stretching of light causes what he said, but I am prone to think that the back end of the light spectrum is just not making it. If light is stretching as it travels to us, I have a feeling that it'd mess up our numbers when trying to figure out how far away something is.

Lol, it wasn't too much detail. That's pretty much how it works. I don't think he was talking about planet rotation thought, I am trying to figure that out.

I was going to, but the OP also believes he was born in another solar system in a past life. So you're going to have to sum up what you believe for me.

18. Try forget about defeating the question, look at the information provided.

If your saying that the earth does not move along in time with a ever expanding universe then tell the experts because fucked if I know.

or if I am wrong its ok as well.

19. I'll be honest, I skipped that whole thread. Not because I don't think it's interesting but because from a scientific point of view their version of time is meaning less. We have a "definition" of what time is and it's not infinite in the useful sense of the term. It's like saying a circle has infinite number of degrees to it. Yes technically (or from one perspective) it does but it's not useful to say that.

On the smallest scale we are all really just a holographic image on a "2-d" plane although it's not really 2-d but some other number larger than 2. On that scale, yes time is "un-important" but we know so little about that frame of reference that to talk about it isn't useful at all. It'd be like trying to describe how our solar system works while living in Sparta. Simply no one knows enough about it to say anything worthwhile about it. Also it doesn't really have an impact on the subject at hand (because we can find planets without the knowledge of what that holographic landscape looks or acts like).

For planets time only matters in that we are looking at a particular star at the correct moment that the planet is orbiting in front of it. If the planet goes in front of the star more than once that gives us even more data about the properties of that planet as well as the orbit of said planet (again depending on the method of detection, which will change/add a new way once the array in space is built and operational). This is also why in the drake equation the time a civilization has been around is a multiple of it's chances of being found, because simply time is/has a direct connection to how much a group knows about the universe and thus has a better chance of living past the "extreme" events that would normally wipe it out.

I'll be honest I just posted a few video's and I know one cover's this subject. I think the confusion is in that direction of travel doesn't really matter when talking about other planets outside of our solar system. The only thing that really matters is the plane that it's orbiting in. The distances are so vast that a few million km/hr has no impact on our viewing of it.

maybe that covered it? can you be a bit more specific on what you mean Tunguso?