A More Scientific Look at "God"

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by AndrewLoGi, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Forgive me if this is already a pretty common idea, but maybe what we refer to as "god" is actually just something related to science? I'm thinking maybe the concept of energy.

If you think of it, it amounts to almost everything that people use to describe "god", aside from being a sentient being:

1.) Energy isn't a tangible thing (arguably), but a concept we use to explain inner workings.
    2.) Energy can never be destroyed nor created, only transformed.
    3.) Energy is ubiquitous. It "is" everywhere and "with" everyone at all times.
    4.) Energy is responsible for all life on earth, as well as the universe itself.

Personally I don't adhere to this idea, mainly because if such an idea of "god" was actually true, it wouldn't be much of a god at all. That is, it would have no form of consciousness, intellect, insight or judgement.

What do you guys think? Am I just really high or does this have some merit? :p

2. No no you've got some useful insight there , although i do believe in an intelligent being, known as Allah the one God. The source of all,“To Allah we belong and to Him we shall return.” (Surah Al Baqarah 2:156). I ask myself why has there be no discoveries of an earth-like planet in the vastness of galaxies? Just one? One where there exists with such vastness and variety as this beautiful earth, ever-so fruitful and a delight to those who seek to understand it. In nature, we find many similarities, heck most of DNA of organisms is 98% similar, and yet that small percentage is the root of our varieties. The same in a ways of functionalities yet so different in the approach. We find similarities in nature, but none outside of our planet? seems odd enough, and that is the work/creation of an intelligent being. I say keep searching for truth, the more you search the less you struggle.

3. What we are always looking for as "God" or "truth" cannot be found in these words. Some words satisfy us better than others, in their effectiveness, but ultimately it is the very nature of reality itself. We all share this nature. We all come together, in this nature, which is our nature. Call it God. Call it truth. Call it energy. It is what it is

4. #4 hed, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Interesting. I can respect a Deist's perspective on this. Like you point out, it kind of renders all the human interpretation of this energy rather meaningless...

Energy as well can also be transformed into matter, and vice versa, so unless consciousness can manifest as a table (literally), I reckon it's nature is something yet discovered: not energy/matter. Same for any godhead. Which you might as well call "shiva's prick", as names have no purpose in the timeless infinite. Only for small minds, like our monkey brains.

5. Reality is, itself, its nature

6. energy cannot be created or destroyed, so has it always been there? I believe there was a source, for you lets call it , "IT" ... there was nothing before and now there is something. was it by chance? I still believe there is a purpose. It seems to me we are not here just to only share energies, come together, thats a part of the experience. If i am your traveling companion on this journey then Im sorry but if truth cannot be found in words, then how is will it be shared? Humming , wait idk was that hmm or hmmmm? Its important to relay things but i do agree language in a way inhibits imagination, our expression of what "is" .

7. Bro are you muslim?? Cause i am and im diggin your posts!

8. Could there be anything other than purpose? Our very existence is, itself, the Purpose. We all travel on The Journey together, for we are ONE

9. i think you're onto something. maybe god is the structure of how things work. things do have an inherent intelligence. maybe that is god? nature itself? physics itself?

not to say that there is a being in the sky who is judging us. it is more of an einstein view of god. but at the end of the day we don't know. but it is fun to throw around ideas lol.

10. #10 AndrewLoGi, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011
    There's been no discoveries of other Earth-like planets because the probability of a planet being similar to Earth is extremely small. But you have to remember that there's billions and billions of stars out there. Even if there's a 0.00000000000000000000001 % chance of a planet having the proper conditions to be similar to Earth, there's just so many planets that an Earth-like planet is almost inevitable.

To reference a frequently used metaphor, even if the chances of getting a royal flush in poker is very small, after being dealt billions of hands it's almost impossible for it to not occur at least a few times.

And in terms of similarity of functionality in nature... If anything, what you said proves that an intelligent creator is not responsible for life. A lot of things are similar in nature because every organism on Earth is related to common ancestors. Traits that were beneficial to survival and reproduction allowed only the most efficient functionalities to remain, thus it's expected that many organisms share common functionalities and similarities Although it all appears as an elaborate creation, it is overwhelmingly likely to just be the consequences of evolution.

11. If ALL returns to Allah, then All is an aspect of Allah's nature. How silly, to assume it's all earth centered

12. #12 bestofbuddha, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011
    in my eyes, we will truly find out when we die!!

13. I'm sorry but you seem to be just stating a bunch of absurd, pseudophilisophical babble. You almost speak in riddles, and it's not very helpful to understand your views. Maybe be more specific with what you're saying?

14. You do not understand the simplicity because you complicate things. Be simple, and it will be simple

15. Truth is no one knows, and no one ever will, yet all religious people "know" they're right, and anyone that thinks different is wrong. If we all understood that no one knows, even themselves there would be no discomnunications, far less if not any wars at all. Meaning all the trillions we spend on weapons and new war technology, would go towards schools, hospitals, science, and all around make a better world.

16. We do for them what we want for us
    We be what we want
    Then nothing else can exist