A little off road course

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by plants2fresh, Aug 8, 2013.

1. My buddy has 5 acres out behind his house and we mowed a track into it and well.... Had some fun :) been taking my 92 celica st back there and it isn't holding up to well (blew out a shock already). This leading into my question, we're wanting to pick up a couple cheap 4x4 or AWD cars for 1000 or less. We're wanting cars not trucks tho. I was thinking maybe an old talon or something? Anybody got any ideas or suggestions? Maybe like late 80's or early 90's.

2. Unfortunately I don't think too many stock, cheap cars are going to hold up to that kind of abuse too well. You could find a V8 Grand Cherokee for around that price if it has high mileage, or minor problems.

Otherwise I'd just go for the obvious answer: older AWD Subarus. Probably easier to find than AWD Talons. Lots that are running well at high mileage.

If you're willing to go RWD, an ex-cop car (Crown Victoria) would be a decent choice. They can be found quite cheap and have pretty sturdy suspension. RWD would be fun on a track like that too.

3. Seems like it'd be hard to get something affordable and capable if you try to look for something specific. I'd just browse Craigslist and vehicles with signs on them in people's yards probably.

I agree with the real boxy jeeps, and I watched an old Subaru dusty run a tough truck competition once. It was awesome, do it. This one had its front wheels converted to dual lies though. Like I said, it was awesome.

4. Well we're not to worried about how they hold up lol they're gonna be our stress relievers. I was looking at a suburb justy (??) it's a 3cyl 5speed with 4x4 lol other that that there are a lot of s-10's and outbacks. We're trying to stay away from jeeps due to the roll factor, maybe if we get a jeep and lower it :)

5. #5 mercinariesgtr, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
    speaking of s10s you could prob find a shitty 350 conversion one and that would be real fun to bomb around the yard in

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/3956341938.html

This would be fun, put your buddies in the back. the wd would be pretty fun too, i live on a farmm and used tohave a 1978 c30 custom deluxe ( it was a pos but had a 350 sbc and 4wd)  i used to always use 2wd because it was more fun to drift with. I never went out in mud or rain because i didnt want to destroy the lawn and leave huge ruts.

6. Almost have him convinced to let me bring in 3 loads of dirt to make some banked turns and maybe a tabletop jump ;)

7. It's hard to roll over a jeep, ive driven a few wranglers as long as the sway bars are still in you won't roll it.

8. Even with the sway bars discinnected on a jeep, you shouldnt have any problems unless its some crazy terrain. I had a 94 wrangler with a chevy 350 with the swatbars disconnected and it was a beast off road

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Grasscity Forum mobile app