A Little Lost..

Discussion in 'General' started by AstralElephant, Aug 26, 2010.

1. I'm hoping I can get some advice here. Right now I feel a little lost and stuck. There are many things I would like to do such as programming, drawing, other forms of art, and making music. I would like to emphasize on making music because I'm around it all the time. It is very inspiring. I would like to do all of these things though. My only problem is that I get bursts of inspiration for all of them. For a few weeks, months or days I'll want to program. At this time I'm interested in math and technology. Then almost spontaneously I'll be interested in drawing. I'll see an interesting image in my head or be inspired by something I see in life. With music it's a bit different. I always want to make music, I just don't know what to make. Similarly to my previous statement, I'll be listening to rock or some variation of it for a certain amount of time and be very inspired to make that sort of music. Suddenly I'll get bored of if it and I'll be interested in Hip-Hop. Now I'm inspired to make beats. Then my other music interests proceed in the same way. Metal, classical, electronic, etc. I feel like all of this should be a good thing, but I never hold interest long enough to create and improve on these things. I pick up the guitar for a few weeks and start playing the music of my favorite bands as well as making my own. I start to improve and all of a sudden I hear a good Hip-Hop song for instance and I'll hop on the computer and start trying to make beats. So on and so forth.

Right now I'm trying to reevaluate everything. After thinking for a while I have no fucking clue what I want to do. I feel like trying to take up one of these hobbies again is pointless. I'll just enter the same cycle. I don't feel very productive at all. I was thinking about buying a telescope to study the sky but I have a feeling, just like everything else, I'll lose interest in it shortly after using it. I was thinking about buying a synthesizer too because I was sure that electronic music would hold my interest. I was listening to DnB, House, Trance, etc. It really caught my interest. Again, out of nowhere I'm bored of it.

What do you all think? Does anyone have the same or a similar problem? Does anyone have advice?
    -I hope most of this makes sense, I wrote it quite hastily.

2. I know how you feel.

Are you considered "gifted" in school?

When I was reaching the end of high school, all the teachers were telling me how I was capable of achieving anything I wanted, and that it would be easy for me to find a career because of how "gifted" I am/was. Bullshit. If anything, being intelligent makes it harder to choose one path. I'm going into my fourth year of college and I just changed my major for the third time (I think I'm sticking with this one, for real).

Anyway, advice... Try to dabble in all the fields that you like in a short amount of time. Don't wait to get bored of something before you give it a rest, or don't give it a rest at all.

For example, say you're in the middle of a huge drawing kick. Take half the time away from that hobby and devote it to another one, but still continuing the drawing. Then a little later (before you're bored of either) add another hobby/interest to the mix. Keep doing this until you're trying (believe me, it will only be trying) to give attention to all of your hobbies. Eventually the cream of the crop will become apparent, making your decision easier.

Hope I helped!

3. Like Gumbo said, invest in some of your interests and see which one stands out the most. Just try to find which one fits you best and is most enjoyable. Keep in mind, just because you're good at something doesn't mean you should pursue it. And also, you can have multiple hobbies or interests, just narrow it down a little so you don't have too many and you can truly accomplish something.

4. I appreciate you're reply. Well, I'm entering my first year if college. I'm going to community. I was always told by my teachers and various people that I was intelligent and could do very well. I never put full effort into school though, I just wasn't very interested. In my junior year of high school I almost completely gave up due to a sort of crisis I had. It was rather demoralizing on me.

I'm going to take your advice and try to divide my time between each hobby. Hopefully it helps and I can move forward. I just have trouble doing things that I have little interest in. It becomes very mundane with the lack of motivation and causes me extreme amounts of boredom. If I'm on a huge drawing kick I'll have trouble sharing the time with programming because I'll have little motivation to learn it. The interest is some-what there, but the motivation is not. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and force myself to do it.