A little history lesson......

Discussion in 'General' started by Storm Crow, Dec 18, 2018.

1. I'm doing the "great link check" on my List (about 5,000 pages of links). While in the "History" section, I came across this old (and pre-government propaganda) article on cannabis. It covers a lot about the early medical use of cannabis and provides cannabis nerds (like me) lots of interesting little stories and facts. Hope you enjoy it.

Observations on the Cannabis Indica, or Indian Hemp (full - 1843)
    Observations on the Cannabis Indica, or Indian Hemp

Granny :wave: (and now, back to checking links)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. "If the resin be swallowed, almost invariably the inebriation is of the most cheerful kind, causing the person to sinig and dance, to eat food with great relish, and to seek aphrodisiac enjoyment." No wonder they made it illegal.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. If you're a cannabis nerd, you've probably already seen "Reefer madness" (?)

The funniest anti-cannabis-retro-bullshit
    ever made.

[​IMG]

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

4. Are you kidding? Granny probably saw Reefer Madness when it was in the theaters. Just kidding Granny. I did see it at a drive in movie in the 60s, it was a hoot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. I saw "Reefer Madness" in the late 60s or early 70s at a midnight showing at a theater in Pacific Beach. The hubby and I were stoned- of course! :passing-joint:

And here's another interesting one that I "got lost in" before I could get it properly placed! Fortunately, I'm still pretty fast when reading. :biggrin:

EARLY DIFFUSION AND FOLK USES OF HEMP (full – 1975)
    EARLY DIFFUSION AND FOLK USES OF HEMP

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Granny! Good to see you. Always coming thru with the solid reads.

Happy toking!

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. How about some old "Reefer Madness" news articles? This little collection of news articles has the text transcribed, so you don't have to struggle reading small print of the original articles. (And I like tamales! :yummy: lol)

THE LEGEND OF THE HOT TAMALE PEDDLER: What the Newspapers were saying: (news – undated) Myths and Legends from the Reefer Madness Era -- Hot Tamale

8. #8 Cactus Ed, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    That shit's crazy, no wonder they made it illegal with people believing that crap. I wonder why they glommed onto blamed tamales peddlers? Those pesky Mexicans? Among law enforcement personnel the attitudes haven't officially changed much since those articles were written. I suppose it's hard to admit you've been sending people to prison for years for no good reason other than it's the law which is all the reason they need when their livelihood is on the line.

9. Hurst was a timber baron who also happened to own paper mills and newspapers. Hemp paper is far superior to wood pulp paper (which is why Bibles were printed on hemp paper).

So "for some odd reason", Hurst perceived cannabis as hemp as a threat to his profit margin.

His buddy, DuPont, had just come out with a new fiber, nylon whose only real natural fiber competitor was non-rotting hemp.

Then there was the third member of the unholy prohibitionist triad, Harry Anslinger, a real racist. He hated the "inferior races" and noted that both the Mexicans and blacks used cannabis/ "marihuana" aka hemp!

So the three friends conspired each for their own reasons, to get cannabis made illegal. Hurst used his paper for propagandizing against cannabis. (Fake news is nothing new, kids!)

If you guys want all the dirty little details, read this-

The Emperor Wears No Clothes. (book - 2007) Emperor « JackHerer.com

• Like Like x 2