A little help... yellowing leaves

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Chron1k, May 22, 2009.

1. So I was just wondering if anyone had any tips to prevent yellowing leaves and possibly getting some of my plants back on track... I think it might be be lack of water as temperatures are reaching nearly 90 degrees. Also, let me know how u think the whole op is going... You can tell that the [Trainwreck x Hashplant] is doing the best... im pretty new, just wondering when i should add nutrients and what things i should be preparing for... Thanks

Attached Files:

2. #2 Hypeshot, May 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2009
    We are gonna need some more information. Looks like you got some good dark rich soil with perilite. I'm gonna assume is something good quality. Make sure everything is Drying out in between waterings ,if that soil is staying soggy , your roots wont be able to breath and it's common for leaves to yellow like that. Give it enough water so that it's just barely got some moisture in it the next day , basically drying out every day.

If that's a fresh bag of FoxFarms Ocean forest , you wont need nutes for quite some time. If that is a bag of Pro-mix , then you should be feeding at this point VERY lightly considering Pro-mix is completely inert and does not have added nutes. Or maybe you got your own little personal compost , dirt mix you wipped up. Chances are it's got alot of good stuff in it , but it may not have the correct nutrient profiles you need to have for healthy plant growth.

What kinda soil ya got , maybe we can help you out?

3. Fox Farms Soil for sure.

4. if the temps are getting in the 90's it's probably that. you're plants have that look of taking a summer heat beating.

5. i am chron1ks partner in crime so, is there athing we can do to prevent a beating from the heat and nutrient advice along with when to use the nutrients

6. I use fox farms ocean forest and if that's what you're using, you shouldn't need to add nutrients for about a month (when strictly using it in a pot at least) If it's outdoors i wouldn't no how to keep the temps down. You can mist it with water from time to time. that might help

7. I don't think it's the heat. 90 degrees is hot, no doubt, but the symptoms your plants are showing probably aren't temperature related. Cannabis can grow in 100 degree temperatures if other conditions are optimal.

Has there been any rain water that hit the plants recently? Also, you mentioned that it might be 'lack of water.' Give us some info on your watering schedule since sprout and what type of water you're using.

As stated, don't add any ferts for some time. FFOF has everything you need for a few weeks. A good indication that you're ready for nutes is a little interveinal chlorosis on the bottom few leaves. With FFOF, your average plant under good growing conditions will begin 'asking' for nutes around week 4.

8. actually yes there was heavy rain for about a week straight a week ago and in that time i did not water the plants my self, figured it wouldnt matter. for my watering scedule i try and get two my spot once every other day at about ten a.m and then i spray the leaves down to try and keep them a little cooler for the rest of day. what can i do differently to fire these babies to life

9. Hmm.. heavy rain water you say? They may have received a bit too much water in such a short time frame. Also, your average rain water will have a pH of about 5.5 (acid rain can dip into the low 4's). Normally, a little bit of slightly acidic rain won't cause any detrimental long-term problems. One solid week of rain can definitely cause some of the symptoms you're having.

Don't spray your leaves in the morning when the sunlight is out. The cooling effect you're aiming to achieve does not last more than several minutes. If you feel like you must spray your foliage, do so at night when the sun cannot become amplified on the water droplets and scorch your leaves.

Additional tidbit: Watering plants outdoors is more of a challenge than indoors, as you can imagine. Gauging the moisture of the soil level 1 foot into the ground is harder than lifting a pot and estimating dry/wet weight. I strongly recommend getting a soil moisture meter. A decent meter will run you around 15 dollars.

10. #10 Hypeshot, May 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2009
    I agree with Titanium here , kill the foilar spray. If you got thoses plants in foxfarm , they will pick up as long as you have'nt messed with em. I've seen plants burn from a fresh Bag of soil , they usually start right back up in no time and outgrow any problems.

Don't water them unless they are dry , dry , dry. or untill you know they will dry out before the next time you can see them.

remember the roots do NOT grow and live off of water , they breath through it , like fish with gills , they grow and thrive in the foggy humidified pores of a root zone.

11. heres after a few more days...

Attached Files:

12. #12 grass bandicoot, May 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2009
    i have noticed ants around these babies as well when check on them, is this a bad thing and what can we do to controll the insects?

13. #13 Chron1k, May 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2009
    So heres after a few more days, I cut back on watering, as well as the spraying of the foliage. I see signs of improvement. I cut back some leaves that appeared to be dying off. Let me know what you think with this update. PS scattered some peppers around the site, i heard through a grapevine that this is the best organic way to keep ants away from my garden.

Attached Files:

14. ...bump for a little more insight.