A Little Help With Nutrients?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GotaHeadStone, Jun 24, 2011.

1. I'm on a low budget starting 5 Low Ryder 2 x AK47 auto flowering strain in a grow box. When should I start using nutrients and would something like a miracle grow all purpose plant food work well?

2. You can use mg plant food. I think it's 24-6-18 or something. Just make sure to use half the recommended amount the first feeding to see how the plant responds and then go from there.

I've been using mg orchid food 30-10-10. Is it ideal? No, but it seems to be getting the job done. My plants have been much happier since I started giving it to them.

There seems to be no clear consensus about when to start feeding. I've been told to wait until after day fourteen, to wait until the first 3 blade leaves show, to wait until there are two or more nodes, and to wait until the plant shows that it needs some nutes.

3. Yeah. I've been told to play it safe and just use a 20-20-20 throughout the plants life since it's my first time. I was thinking it might be bad to give it nutes within the first 2 weeks. Anyone know what the standard rule for feeding it just water is? Just to make sure im not over or under feeding it.

4. Even though it's your first time (and I'm in the middle of my first grow as well) a good nute tip is this: the plant will require lots of nitrogen in the veg state but its needs will change during the flowering period, when the plant needs more phosphorous.

So you could use a 20-20-20 throughout, or you could use a high N fert for veg and switch to a high P fert when the plant starts to flower. This shouldnt be too hard.

5. Yeah I have no problem using nutrients at all. My only problem is knowing exeactly when to start them. my plants are a week old and are well in to their second set of serated type leaves. the plant itself is an autoflower that starts flowering 3 weeks in regardless of photo period.

6. Well, I have not messed with autos just yet - still trying to get the ins and outs of a regular grow. I don't know if they require a different regimen or not.

Another factor to consider when deciding to add nutes is how rich in nutrients your medium is. I don't know if you're doing soil or a soilless mixture or what, but if you're soil is really rich like FFOF or something comparable you probably won't need nutes this early in the game.

I wish I could be of more help to you. I'm just a beginner though. Maybe someone else will jump in this thread and give us the straight poop.

7. haha yeah. As of now the're looking alright though so I think ill start adding nutes after 2 weeks or whenever their third set of leaves come in. I just have a good nutrient free potting soil. at 3 weeks ill throw them outside and then we'll really see if they flourish or not.