Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

A little bit of advice about court

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by bluntman889, Mar 21, 2011.

1. well guys I posted a thread a while back and yall were great help. So hopefully I'll get some more results this time.

I've got court again next monday and I will actually be getting sentenced (i dont know if that was the right term to use). Anyways, I was charged w/ simple poss. and parf. I'm using pre-trial diversion (kinda had to, the judge wasnt budging a bit) and have been told by my friends I will only have to pay for court costs when I use this. Is this true? Secondly, what would be an estimate as to how much my court costs will be? Third, would I just be able to call the city court and ask them how much I would be looking at having to pay before I have been sentenced (again w/ that term)?

My reason asking is that I have saved up $700, because I had originally thought I was going to have to pay for both of the citations + the court costs. My buddy that I talked w/ today had a similar situation w/ pre-trial in the same state as me (dif county) about a year or so ago and only had to pay around $150. If its going to be closer to that range I will have saved up enough money to buy myself a bong I've been looking at for a while (SYN). Darn coppers took my other one (hence the charges haha)

Any input at all will be great. I'm gonna go look around at the lhs tomorrow before class to see what they have in stock and to check to see when they will be getting more SYN glass in. That will also determine when I decide to buy my glass. So I'm hoping for some good news here guys. Lemme know!

Thanks, and happy tokings

2. anyone that's had to go through the court system? anyone?

3. cant help you man, just inspiring a BUMP for the 0 replies

4. #4 chombie, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
    Never been through it myself, but I am a criminal justice major (go figure :rolleyes:)

Generally, court fees are cheap. It's the fines you'll be hit with for possession and paraphernalia if they go that route. All depends on the judge bud, good luck.

EDIT:
    Also, court costs depend entirely on the area and the court itself, in your case, specifically, the county. There's no way to give you an accurate representation really; around here the court fee is something like $140. I'd wait until after your sentencing (correct term btw) to buy your bong because like I said before, it's all on the judge. If he wants to be a dick that day, he can give you the maximum fine, and there's nothing you can do about it because all misdemeanor cases are bench trials.

5. Well here is a little more info to help out.

I live in the state of TN, and a class A misdemeanor.

I think what yall have overlooked the the fact I will be using my *pretrial diversion *on this offense. What I believe that does is drops the charges completely (as long as I dont get any further charges in the alloted time (11 months 29 days)) and leaves me to only pay the court costs.

on the lighter side, I'm only hoping to pay about $200 for the bong, so I'll still have about $500 left to put towards the costs, and I'll still be able to pay in partial amounts.

6. #6 bluntman889, Mar 21, 2011
    since you're a criminal justice major, you should be able to more help me define what exactly using pretrial diversion (and yea, I qualify, I've already met w/ my lawyer about it) is exactly...preferably in some simple terms ahah

edit: public defender...not lawyer....and by met, I mean we talked for 5 mins on the day of my last court appearance

7. #7 chombie, Mar 21, 2011
    Only if you complete the PTD program will your charges be dropped. Maximum for misdemeanor possession is I believe 18 months probation. Fail a drug test, your charges come back, and will not be dropped again.

Pretrial diversion is basically just saying "yeah I'll just do probation and you drop the charges"
    Keeps people out of jail and saves the court's resources.

Also,
    They gave you a class a misdemeanor for simple possession? How much did you have? Fuck Tennessee lol

8. if my charges are nollied do i have to pay court fee's?

9. Most likely, yeah. If you have to go to court and see a judge, you're going to get stuck with court fees.

10. do they stack up for each time you go or is it one set fee?

11. Depends on your county as far as I know, not certain. Should only be on the day you are sentenced. Charging is done by the prosecutor so you really only go to court to find out what you're formally charged with.

12. grinder w/ about a bowls worth of bud < 0.3g

13. also,

bought a SYN mini circ stemline today. It's about 20'' tall and is the platinum label series. It's awesome, but needs a bit of work before it'll be perfect. Can't complain for $215 though.

Gonna add a platinum label SYN circ ash catcher, and eventually get a bowl blown from my local headshop. Gonna have him do it, just tell him I want it to go w/ the platinum label tube and ash catcher.