A Healthier Alternative to Whey

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by CarloMarx, Aug 31, 2011.

1. #1 CarloMarx, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2011
    I was using GNC's Wheybolic for about 2-3 months post-workout only and was getting pretty good results. However, towards the end of that time period I began suffering from daily headaches. Not knowing what the cause was, I continued my weekly routine and continued the use of Wheybolic. It wasn't until I came across a Consumer Reports article that I realized what was really causing my headaches. The article can be found here.

As it turns out, there were traces of cadmium, arsenic, mercury, and lead in the mix. Though the levels weren't the highest of the tested products, that knowledge was enough to send me away from whey protein altogether.

What I found as an extremely effective and healthy alternative is organic Hemp Protein. Here is a little bit of information I borrowed: Hemp protein most importantly contains all eight of the life essential amino acids that our bodies require but can not make on their own. Although it is not the only plant protein with this quality, it has this and much more that make it stand out and above other plant proteins. Hemp protein contains an almost perfect balance of essential fatty acids (EFA’s) Omega-3 and -6, a high content of fiber, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants. The nutiva brand hemp protein that I purchase has 15g of protein per serving.

So why not use the plant we all love so much for your supplemental needs? It's incredibly dense in Amino Acids and contains a good amount of protein to help build lean muscle and is much better for your digestive system than whey . If you choose to go the organic route, it is even better for you. It is even priced quite fairly.

For those who think it does not contain enough protein, mixing it with skim milk or soy milk or both (like I do) will provide you with an additional 8-10 grams per serving.

2. Very interesting. Is it choclately and delicious like my muscle milk whey protein?

3. Just ordered a bag off Amazon. Really looking forward to trying it out. About done with my ON whey so this is a goof change of pace.

4. um, I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but if you were ever wondering, Trader Joe's sucks. Don't get that one. :eek:

5. I've tried the chocolate kind and didn't really like it, plus it's a bit more expensive. The taste will definitely be different to one who is used to the mainstream protein drinks mainly because the lack of sugar and its unique texture.

I agree. In order to combat the "shock" of the taste (it really isn't that bad) I mix it skim milk and light chocolate soy-milk to add a little bit of flavor. It will taste a bit nutty, but the chocolate really makes it a lot better. I guess you could do the same with regular chocolate milk, just keep an eye on the amounts of sugar.

Why would you be embarrassed? Trader Joe's has some really awesome stuff. I've never tried their hemp protein though. Don't have one around me and don't have that kind of money anyways :D.

6. I've been looking into changing my protein to something with no additives. I am going to get hemp protein and I want to try rice protein as well. Try adding cinnamon to add/cover up flavor.

7. rice protein sucks...there is no way to cover the taste, trust me lol.

8. [quote name='"Have Questions"']um, I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but if you were ever wondering, Trader Joe's sucks. Don't get that one. :eek:[/quote]

I've seen it and have actually wondered about it lol. What makes you think so?

9. It has zero solubility....Other than that it's fine. :)

10. Yeah, hemp protein is awesome. I put it in my shakes. I get my hemp protein from Trader Joe's and I like it. It mixes well when blended. It only cost $10 bucks.

11. been using hemp protien for about 6 months I love it... so much better than whey

Am I the only one that mixes it in orange juice?

I tried milk once but about threw up its pretty nasty, orange juice seems to cover up the taste more

12. Yeah, before I put it in my shakes, I put it in orange juice and it taste good.:yummy: Well at least the vanilla flavor taste good in orange juice, not so much the chocolate flavor, at least in my opinion.