A heads up to anyone selling a vehicle on Kijiji or Craigslist! [AMS SCAM]!

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by imyourcat, Dec 13, 2011.

1. #1 imyourcat, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
    I've been trying to sell a quad on Kijiji for the past few months. I came home one evening and had a message from a Matt Carter from a company called AMS (Auto Marketing Systems) to inform me that he could help me sell my vehicle. In the message he said that he already had customers looking for a vehicle like mine in my area.

I didn't end up calling back. A few days later the phone rang when I was home and I didn't answer it in time. The call went to the answering machine. It was Matt Carter again. I picked up the phone to speak with him and no one was there.

I decided to call the number he left in the first message immediately after Matt Carter called the second time. A woman answered and I asked to speak to Matt Carter. She said he was busy (BUT HE JUST CALLED ME). She told me that the company finds vehicles and the customers come to them to be set up with the seller. She told me I had two options. I thought about the second option. I pay $140 for the service and I am guaranteed a buyer and guaranteed to get my asking price. She asked me for my credit card and I told her I would call back later because it wasn't with me.

I looked into their website and googled AMS scams and wasn't surprised to find page after page of people who had been scammed. I called the woman back and told her I would not be interested in their services. I told her I knew it was a scam and to never call my fucking house again.

Just a heads up guys.

2. No heads up needed. I'm not retarded

3. [quote name='"pyro44199"']No heads up needed. I'm not retarded[/quote]

This.

4. Lol k.

A lot of people fell for it. No need to be so arrogant.

5. I used to get all kinds of emails from people interested in buying my car, but it was always "a gift" or they worked on an oil rig and had to hire a pick up agent to pick it up, I was all for it till they claimed that they had no way of paying for it from where they were at and wanted me to front the pick up agency like $1000 for the guy and he would then tag on an additional $1000 to the asking price. I was leaving the country and still owed a lot of money on the car loan, I was desperate to sell it and almost fell for it. If you're new to selling, until you almost make these mistakes you just don't know :\ They have all these warnings now about how to spot frauds I didn't realize how insanely many there were. I got those very same phone calls and until I read this I didn't know it was a scam, I didn't use the services they were offering but the help would've been great. Im still stuck with my damn car it was on kijiji and auto-trader for like 6 months, couldn't sell it in Canada cause it was an American car, its a beautiful machine so Im surprised I only had 1 legitimate offer :S

6. Come on man it's craigslist/kijiji. You'll get more assholes who will attempt to scam you over potentially legit buyers. You can post a dirty diaper for sale and some dumb fuck from Nigeria will email you asking you if he can send you a check for $20000.

7. I swear to God, not ten minutes ago I first heard of "kijiji" for the first time in another thread....and now I can't stop seeing it. Wtf is with that name?