A Guide To Doing Your Own Hempwork

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by Chrysamere, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Hello folks. well for those of you who want to learn the art of hempwork, this is your answer! hopefully my guide will help you learn how to make your very own hemp necklaces, bracelets, and so on.

First you'll want to buy some hemp. You can find them at any local crafts store (most likely), or better yet your local hemp or headshop, I've also even bought hemp from walmart, and it works just as good. Now I'll walk you through on how to make a hemp necklace.

Step 1: Once you have your hemp, cut a piece that is approximately 2 feet long, it doesn't have to be exactly that long but give it your best shot. Once you've cut it, fold it in half so it forms a loop at one end, and two loose strings at the other end.
    [​IMG]

Step 2: Now that you have your first piece cut, it's time to cut the second piece. It has to be very long, over 2x your arms span. Basically, just cut a piece that is as long as if you were to pull a piece of string from the ball as far out as you can, then double that length. If THAT'S still confusing for you, just cut a piece that is about 2x the length of your height. Fold it in half, just like the first piece, so you end up with another loop
    [​IMG]

Step 3: Now just hold both of the loop ends of each string together, like so.
    [​IMG]

Step 4: Those both of those ends in a knot, like so. You'll end up with two loops and a knot on one end, and 4 pieces of loose hemp at the other.
    [​IMG]

Step 5: Now, place it down so you have the two of the four end strings that are shorter in the middle, and the two long ones going out to the side. (tip: to help keep it stable, either tack or tape down the end with the knots, so it won't move around on you).
    [​IMG]

Step 6: This is the tricky part. Fold ONE of the two longer ends across the two shorter strings in the middle, like so. In this case, I chose to fold the left side over.
    [​IMG]

Step 7: What you do now, is fold the longer piece of string that is on the RIGHT over the piece of string that you folded across in the last step, like so.
    [​IMG]

Step 8: What you do now, is fold the piece of string that you just folded in the last step UNDER the two strings in the middle, and up through the hold that the left piece of long string made, and pull it through. Understanding this part is critical.
    [​IMG]

Step 9: Now that you have done that, repeat the process, only using the OPPOSITE side you started with each time. For instance, I just started by folding the left side over, and so on. Now, you will start by folding the right side over the middle, instead of left, and just repeat the process. Just make it simple: Fold one side over the middle across-ways. Place the OTHER piece of string, (in this case the left) over the one you just folded across the middle. Go under the middle strings and up through the hole! then pull tight!
    [​IMG]

Note: These directions were for the traditional flat style weaving. To do the spiral staircase style, just keep doing the folding actions with the long strings on the same side each time, instead of switching to the opposite side each time. Enjoy.

if you're interested in checking out some of my work, I created a thread on it simply called "Hempwork"

I hope this was helpful to anyone who wanted to learn how to do hempwork. if you have any questions just ask. enjoy. :smoking:

2. I feel like a dumbass for even asking, but how did you tie the original knot (pic 4)?
    EDIT: Haha omfg i realised how easy this really was, dont even regard this question. hahahaha that just makes me laugh

3. Also, how would a glass piece be incorperated? And how would i make a belt stay fastened? Thnx for everthing btw

4. Thanks man, it worked. I just took some old wires and tried the spiral method, and it didnt look spiraled, but it still looked cool. i also did the flat style on the same strand to see what it looked like, and it looked cool. The spiral came out funny but still cool, i think im gonna make a belt thats flat and a belt that's spiraled (or my version of the spiral method :) ) + rep for the guide, now all i need to know is how to finish the belt, and how to fasten it.

5. I made my horse halter out of hemp a few days ago, it took me one full day. You can also buy hemp fabric and make your own clothing, it's more durable.

6. incorporated glass pieces or any type of bead/pendant is simple. Depending on how the loop is on the glass piece, i just put it through the the two shorter strings in the middle, and just continue the process.what also works real well is putting 3 of the 4 strings through the loop on the bead/pendant, so there is one that is free. you can really do it any way you want though.

7. Glassgirl, how would one go about doing that, and what could a person make? Sounds very cool imo.

8. So, i took a strand of tan hemp that was my armspan + a foot long, and a strand of dark green hemp the same length. Then i curved the foot part over, makin kindof a loop on both. then i put both loops together like you normally would, and did the weaving part like usuall. for my first one like this im doin traditional square weaving bracelet that im gonna sell to a friend for $5 (bought 180 ft of hemp for $4 so im commin out ahead and i still have a lot left). Im gonna do a spiral necklace for myself this way either this weekend (i have friday off school :hello: ) or next week. If you look at somethin hemp woven, u see the outside that looks like loops around the edge goin vertical, and then lines in the middle goin horizontal. Its comin so that the loopy things are tan, and the inside lines are green. If you flip it over, its the opposite, so you can choose what color you want. Ill post a pic when i finish it, cause this entire post might make no sense at all.

9. I used the buckles from an old one and just tied a series of knots. To make belts you can use buckles or rings.

Attached Files:

10. man im 2 add for that stuff ive tryed it haha

11. its really simple once you get the hang of it

12. yeah, i have hemp sneakers, they can really take a beating,too.

13. My bad, i shoulda been more specific:) . when i asked "how would a person do that" i was actually askin about usin the hemp cloth for clothing like shirts and stuff, my bad for not bein clear on that:)

14. I know a kid who has some of those, i cant remember what brand... was it I-path? Once we were really high and he tried to light one....

15. knew how to, but nice guide.

16. we make hemp jewelry all the time !!!!!! so fun.

17. :)Well if ya feel like it you can sew your own clothing it's actually quite easy. Folks have been telling us for years to have an online shop to sell the goods we make. Brian could sell his glass and I could sell handmade clothing, hemp goods. knits, jewelry etc.... Maybe someday, but I would rather buy clothes from a hard working mama than Corporations. Here's a few of my favs.
    http://www.oceantribes.com/page/page/1543617.htm
    http://www.enchantedtree.com/clothing.html
    http://www.jahumbadesigns.com/

18. you are a GOD i made some sick necklaces with hemp before then i out grew it and forgot how to make new ones thank you for this thread i am forvever in your debt.

i really was rackin my brain for over 3 months on this

19. What commonplaces do they sell hemp at? I don't ever remembering seeing hemp sold anywhere, not even at the headshops around here. Maybe I just didn't notice though. Cool guide though :)

20. i get my hemp at wal-mart...lol in the crafts section.