A guide on when to harvest.

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by dc199, Sep 15, 2010.

1. #121 shug_knight, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Thanks again for ur help samson! Very much appreciated! I'm thinking I'm going to keep it going with just water and some molasses for now.

Here's hoping for a good harvest!

2. Samson this post is gunning for your heart.

I'm on my first grow right now, and it just so happens to be a barney's farm red dragon. I'm using 3x 2700k and 1x 6500k that I rotate to different outlets every 2 days. Right now i'm going on week 11 and i've noticed that i'm getting more brown hairs towards the bottom of my plant but the top of my colas are a different story...like other have stated i'm seeing new growth and with them are white pistils...I just came across your thread today...and to say the least i'm confused as hell. I already flushed my plant but after further review I would say that maybe 50-60% of my plant still has white pistils.

Could you give me some advice as to what I should do...i want to harvest my plant as a whole, and if i'm gonna give her a couple more weeks...should I give her some more nutes? even though I flushed already?

If not should I water with my Roots Organics Trinity catalyst, which is basically a molasses product until I harvest?

take a look at my pics:

Attached Files:

3. Pretty sure it was stated earlier, but your oldest growth (ie the lower buds) will mature before the newer growth (ie the top colas). If the bottom of your plant is ready and the top is not, then harvest the bottom first and wait for the top growth to be ready. There's really no good reason why you have to do it all at once. Things just don't grow that uniformly in nature.

4. Cfl plants seem to never finish I hate it, you can give it molasses but I don't think it will change much, molasses is used to feed the microbes in the soil but I could be wrong.

5. No problem Grim I'd love to help you out.. :hello:

With the red dragon you are looking at a long flowering time.. Mine went hermi (not genetics, but preflower stress) so I haven't taken a red dragon all the way out so I won't be able to help you with pics..

What I can tell ya is I was expecting my rd to take 98 days or 14 weeks give or take a week.. With the cfl's keep a close eye on her because she could take even longer than that just because cfls can add 2-3 weeks from what the company description says..

Even taken a month early this girl has a good smoke to her.. I can only imagine how great your girl will be.. Definitely drop by the no time for a journal and keep me updated.. I can't wait to see the final results and I'm always lurking on there..

Hope this helps ya out a bit.. :wave:

:smoke:

6. when is the time to harvest say a GDD purple strain??

7. Never grown it sadly so I can't help ya there.. :confused_2: If you give it a go definitely let me know.. I'm always up for trying new strains.. :D:wave:

:smoke:

8. Bumping it up..:wave:

9. \t\t\t\t\tOriginally Posted by samson32 [​IMG]
    Hey everyone! [​IMG] I know a lot of you out there love this thread and frankly it sucks having to bump it all the time.. I asked a question on the website feedback for it to be a sticky.. If you support it stop by and through up a line or two.. [​IMG]

possible sticky for growers

Bumpage part Duex. GO THERE! Vote with your voice. Make this a sticky

10. This seems to be helping a lot of people so I'm making it a sticky.

11. BAGZ is my trichome hero!

12. Completely agree!:hello: Thanks Bagz! :smoke:

13. I really like this post and I haven't even started growing yet.

14. I liked this post, so, thank you all.
    I was just wondering, could i harvest step by step.
    I mean day by day i would cut a bud cure it all the same way, then light up and see the result?
    Or the plant wouldnt like it?
    I will try anyway, but it would be easier, to get the knowledge for free!:D

15. please keep in mind guys...this is a growers opinion...
    as he says at the begining.. I personally disagree with him...
    But to each his own.....The best advise is to study it and try different times until you and your strain find the sweet spot......:)

16. BUDSLINGER as a respected and and experienced grower yourself, I'd love to hear your take and counter points within this thread so I can make an informed choice when I harvest. I'm open to multiple points of view. I was told by Rick Simpson to harvest at 70% amber trichomes because they've chemically tested for CBD vs THC levels etc and that is optimum ripeness for my needs, is there another way to test?

17. You could cut a bud off a day at a time yes, but eventually it will kill the plant. I don't see why you'd need to cut only one bud per day though? Most of the buds on the same vertical plane will be ready at the same time (if you're using the trichome method).

18. I didn't even notice it said you guys disagreed.. Sorry Budslinger.. :eek:

What would you think of combining with the idea in this thread with yours in a sleek little guide to show both sides of the coin to let newbies see both ways of doing it..:confused_2: Just an idea.. :D

I pushed for this to be a guide because it acts as a good starting point for newbies to know kinda where to go.. For my first harvest I followed the guide and for the second I guided myself, but seeing her grow out completely helped me determine the best time to actually harvest..

What is your view on harvesting?:smoke:

• Creative Creative x 1
  19. I think its a good start guys for sure...
    i just disagree with his take saying there is so much more then trichomes..
    Ive tested it many ways, the pistols dont always contract. Each starin may show different symtoms, The fact is what we want is the most potent pot we can get..
    when trichomes start turning amber they are degrading, meaning less potency and more couchlock...I dont prefer the couchlock and dont like the way you come down with a couchlock high.. wanting a nap and such... with a good clean potent high when you come down you just want to burn again..lol
    Mine generally the buzz lasts 4-5 hours and when its gone its just gone.
    no drag down.
    The other thing i noticed is he says you should see the leafs start to yellow and such..
    In hydro if you continue your food regiment you wont see that..
    I flush at the end of cycle and never see my leafs yellow..
    My stuff is plenty potent and tasty.

There is no perfect clear cut way.. we all have our opinion and such..
    try each way if you growing..grow 4 plants.. take one each week at the end..
    that will give you a 4 week spread and you can see for your self wich one you like best..

But for me...Ill keep watching my trichomes and when they are mostly cloudy and i ifind a couple amber Ill chop...;)

20. i have to assume your using mj as a pain reliever is this correct>?
    generally a 70% amber would make me believe you are ...
    Strain is very important ...some at 70% are a couchlock nightmare..
    but say you need it for sleeping..then that is what you should do..
    let me know...