A guide on when to harvest.

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by dc199, Sep 15, 2010.

1. #641 Stoned ko kamen, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2014
    [​IMG]

Ok, i did it.

2. Question
    How am i doing here?
    This is about 4 months old and last 2 months is indoor growing with only water every 2-3 days.
    There is a daylight about 9 hours.
    It's oktober and it's cold and i'm checking my plant every day about 20 minutes. I'm not living in this apartment.

So is this like ok progress or not and how long time do I have before harvest?

Thank you all ♡

2. This is my first post. 

I'd like to thank the members of this thread for sharing their ideas, and I have some ideas of my own I'd like to share.  A light just popped on in my head and I hope I can communicate to you about it.  Here goes.  The cannabis growers community seems very diverse in growing knowledge, and I believe this has resulted in an overreliance of certain common heuristics - "12/12", "flush", "topped" etc.  The list goes on and on.  These are the common terms many growers have come to recognize and associate with certain growing techniques.  For example, the discussion of plant ripeness in this thread following the original guide seems to find certain themes of rough consensus while at the same time allowing for some new hypothesis.  But more advanced posters who are no longer challenged to understand the themes of consensus (noobies harvest too early, let it get frosty, etc) seem to struggle to ascend the depth and meaning of discussion beyond the themes of consensus.  They end up making posts which might not posit any particular information, but which criticize or remind against the rigidness of consensus - posts along the lines of "there is no one true right way" or "it all depends on your preference".  In my opinion, these sorts of posts are necessary because they attempt to enlighten, transcending the false search for consensus which is often just splitting hairs in the wrong direction.  Here is what thinking about those sorts of posts has led me to believe regarding plant ripeness and when to harvest in a light which I believe to be underrepresented in both this thread and the growing community in general.   

One of the smartest guys I know was writing an essay in college.  It was about aethetics, and whether or not they were absolute.  He believed they were, and I disagreed with his position at the time.  I believe that the aethetic signs of beauty (which are absolute) displayed by the cannabis plant are a grossly underdiscussed signal from the plant to the grower.  What I mean by this is that the human brain has been hard wired to recognize certain natural beauty in an absolute fashion.  For example, when I look at a banana, I can develop a lot of information in my brain based purely on the banana's aesthetic appeal to me.  Does it look green and tart like I would not like to eat it?  Does it look bright yellow and swollen so I know it's sugary sweet and delicious?  The parallel processing necessary to answer these questions is hardwired in my brain.  I don't have to actually think through them.  The answers are automatic and subconscious.  My brain does this for me and I don't have to worry about it.  In fact, could walk up to a pile of 100 bananas and pick a great one right away without having to think at all about it.  My brain would guide my hand.  As I reached for the bananas, I wouldn't have to think to myself "How many days has the banana tree been flowering?" "What frequency of light has this banana received?" "Did this banana have enough Phosphorus to develop properly?"  No.  My hand just magically moves to the right banana because I can see a good one right there.  I mean, it's obvious.  It's right there - a beautiful banana.  Who couldn't recognize it?  Even very young children can pick a ripe fruit.  It's not something they have to learn very much about because on some level, we all have the required instinctive absolute aesthetics hard wired into our brains. 

What does this have to do with psychoactive cannabis?  Well, consider the plant from an evolutionary perspective.  I don't remember seeing this discussed anywhere, but it seems obvious to me.  I have read that there are many mysteries surrounding the cannabis plant including why it produces cannabinoids or why its buds or pistols behave in certain ways.  But to me, they are not as mysterious as they are obvious.  Consider the plant in nature.  The reddening of the pisols and frosting of the trichomes are the result of thousands of generations of evolution where plants were pollinated or had their seed harvested for human cultivation based on the way they were able to attract human pollinators or seed harvesters. Cannabis plants which are not old enough to benefit from human pollination or seed harvesting do not yet display these distinguishing aesthetic characteristics.  To use the mind-limiting terminology which I referenced earlier, I'm talking about "vegging" plants.  Think about it.  They just want to be left alone to grow in peace.  But once they are old enough, they will begin to show signs of aesthetics (which are absolute) to attract humans for pollination or seed harvesting.  One of the mist significant aesthetic signals which comes to mind is the reddening of pistols.  Pistols and buds can turn colors and assume patterns which are fresh and beautiful to us on an explicable natural level.  This is because aesthetics are absolute and cannabis plants have evolved symbiotically with humans for thousands of years and thousands of generations in a way which is custom co-evolved along with the human sense of absolute aesthetics. 

To be more specific, the king crown can look astouningly beautiful on a classical level (even to someone completely unfamiliar with cannabis) with a natural bud and pistol configuration to attract and appeal to humans.  On living cannabis plants, there will often be a range of pistol colors which have a correspondance to ripeness or "peak thc" that my guess is correlates remarkably with the absolute aesthetic appeal of the flower.  I'm looking at a picture of a beautiful king crown right now and there are many many little greenish whitish pisols which are new.  I can tell that they would like to extend for weeks as the false seedpod at their base swells and develops trichomes.  But I can also see many pistols past their prime and know that at their base lies a THC packed seed pod.  These pistols are a beautiful golden orange.  Beautiful is actually the most correct way I can think of to describe their color. My brain sees the pistols and without any effort on my part thinks, "Wow, beautiful", and I am attracted to the cannabis plant as a potential pollinator or seed harvestor.  But before these pistols had turned, I would not have been as attracted because it's just more useless green with no strong indication of THC.  In fact, I might have missed the plant completely if I was to pass by it while walking. 

This is where I think I can shine some light jjjj ;) on the trichomes mystery.  Humans are attracted to sparkly things.  They catch our eye.  "Ooooh shiny!"  The aesthetic signal of light reflection off the trichomes could be multipurposed, but I believe in part it is evolved to attract pollinators or seed harvesters by reflecting light off the spherical heads.  Cannabis plants that are too young to display this aesthetic characteristic are not yet able to utilize human interaction of picking the ripe flowers, and too unappealing for us to bother.  I believe it to be an aesthetic trait which is more observant as the plant achieves "peak ripeness" as it presents itself for human compact and covenant at the point where it is open to pollination.  To follow this trait of spherical light reflecting trichomes along their lifespan, we notice a predictable correlation with the deterioration of trichomes and losing their heads as becoming less reflective!  The ambering of the trichomes is also an evolutionary characteristic of the trichome secretion which aligns the wavelength of the light which the changing molecules in the trichome head reflect into our eyes to align with human aesthetics in yet another cunningly evolved signal to attract pollinators or seed harvesters!  Terpines have their own evolutionary purpose, and I assume a large part of that purpose is also attracting humans, but since this post is mostly about visual aesthetics, I'll leave that to another pondering. 

During the final stages of cannabis flowering under natural conditions, but before the beginning of deterioration of potency, the plant will display the strongest organic fading and most beautifully appealing visual aesthetics of all.  Here is where our consideration of common heuristics comes aligns with our human absolute sense of aesthetics.  Yellowing leaves are beautiful and evolved to attract humans when their flowers are ripe - humans love fall leaves because they are beautiful and appeal to us on an aesthetic level, and fall colors are often signs of harvest for other crops.  Coincidence?  No.  Just different plants capitalizing on human aesthetics, and cannabis plants absolutely capitalize on this aesthetic to attract humans for harvesting.  The calyxs, buds, and crowns will swell and their color will turn more and more "not green" - (purple, orange, red, gold... aesthetically beautiful colors to the human eye in order to attract us) both from pistol reddening and trichome ambering.  There will be many trichomes with spherical heads perfect for catching and reflecting light into our eyes.  The plants will smell amazing.  These heuristic signals are not new, but the capacity in which I recommend considering and reflecting upon them might be new to some growers. 

The next time you are considering a plant's ripeness, try to connect to your hard wired concept of aesthetic beauty and use what you see as a signal because it's the signal the plant wishes to communicate to you most.  It's the signal which comes most naturally as it has co-evolved along with humans to be prepared to show its aesthetic beauty and maturity to the grower the best it is able. 

One final thought is that I'm not even recommending harvesting the plant when it is "most beautiful" or anything as similarly narrow minded as that.  Remember that the posts presenting the line of thought which brought me to this idea were effusive and specifically dodging of consensus, and I will likewise defy consensus in order to encourage expansion of consideration.  What I do recommend is to use the plant's signal of aesthetic beauty to fulfill your knowledge of the plants health, happiness, and reddiness to share her flowers with you.  If a plant is on the path to becoming "even more beautiful", it will tell you.  It will be obvious  and you won't have to think about it too hard at all because it's already in your brain on some level.  The plant will appeal to you because it has evolved to do so just as you have evolved to be receptive to its appeal.  When it she is "ready", you'll just know, and all you have to do is quiet down all the junk information that could get in the way of you seeing the plants truest and most undeniable natural beauty.  Finally the day will come which what you know about the plant behind the signals of its aesthetic beauty will speak to you distinctly as well, and you both will know that it is her time.  And this interaction between plant and grower has an entirely different sort beauty to it.  I hope I can share more of my ideas some day. 

Cannabis is beautiful!  And remember, aesthetics are absolute! 

• Like Like x 2
  3. Making up for lost time?

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

4. Four ev vour

5. Very interesting theory/concept by I believe in green. A lot of fucking reading, but still an idea that deserves some inquisition.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. #646 RaJay, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2014
    Edit...

7. Lol.. yeah . harvest only after using aesthetic beauty... big difference in growing cannabis and bananas. What is the market for bananas these days?. Saying that all the variables that can change when a plant is ready is just a theme of consensus is nothing more then justification of one's own consensus on the subject. Harvesting on phenotypical expressions alone sounds like a step backwards. Understanding the genotypes,growing conditions,soil,climate conditions and feed regiments etc is when you will actually know when to harvest that specific strain. Not all Strains are alike and I believe the end result to be much more paramount then the end result of say.. bananas. No offense but one can cause a plant to look finished by a number of ways therfore harvesting when you "think" seams like a over or under educated guess.. knowing the genotype and how it grows under the conditions it is in would be the best way to know when to properly harvest... but are we all not saying the same thing anyhow?...

8. The images arn't loading here.
    Tired on another computer earlier but no joy.
    Is it me?

9. Love the information provided. Just sucks the photos are gone. Any chance to re-insert? Very useful for visualization. Thanks in advance.

Whether you're for marijuana or not. No one should ever have to go to jail for it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Many of the great tutorials here are basically useless because the links are old & broken 😞

• Like Like x 3
  11. #651 LinkDead56k, May 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  12. You need more light 9hrs isn't going to cut it you need 12/12 meaning 12 hours of light and 12 of complete darkness.

As for it being your first grow congrats on it being alive still :) part I the game is trial and error my friend

13. That was 8 months ago. Let's hope he had a good harvest

14. Haha yea did realize that till after I posted it :p

15. Jk doesn't work

16. Sup guys. I just found a tiny bit of rot on the biggest cola of some bag seed 6 weeks into flower. I was looking for some opinions on whether I should pull her or not. It's going to rain a little again today, then it will be hot and dry all week. I'm not worried about her infecting any others, just wondering if I should try to ride it out. I did a spot treatment of 90% isopropyl and misted the rest with 2 part lemon juice, 2 part distilled white vinegar, 2 part hydrogen peroxide, 1 part isopropyl, and 8 parts water.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The yellow on the bud leaves ^^ is from a harsh preventative I did for mold before it rained this week. Not great cause now she's even more susceptible.
    [​IMG]
    More burns here^
    Also they have more trichs than what appears. I melted some with a misting of iso.

Any insight would be hugely appreciated.

Peace

17. Hey, this is my female bubba kush. And although I'll *probably* veg some more, how much do you think I'll get from it? Harvest wise? ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442523786.055281.jpg