A Great Debate on the Existence of GOD

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Boats And Hoes, Sep 27, 2013.

1. I agree religion was an evolutionary necessity. As for God, well because we perceive there to be a God, then there is a God. I think Descartes said because we perceive it, it is. As for a creator architype, who can know. We create new molecules in labs, that is God-like. Statitically speaking something we create in a lab could achieve sentience, would that include imagination with which they would question if we were God.

I posit that God, as a brand, is still used to explain the infinite, the as yet unexplained and the beauty that surrounds us because it is easier to wrap the mind around a creator as opposed to the awesome complexity that is the universe.

Sent from Odies phone

2. Because eternity is a length of time, no matter how long?

Our perception of time is linear yes. Moment to moment.

3. Great debate?  Please, there is no great debate, there is only acceptance and denial.  We live in an age of facts, of gravity, of light speed and atomic particles.  We live in an age that is the sum total of human thought, why would some willfully choose to bury their heads in the sand by speaking to the sky?  If there is some sort of God or gods, it or they aren't concerned with us.  There's an entire universe of possibilities out there, surely we are not the crown jewel of all this, surely there must be a larger point shimmering away in all the vastness of things?

I think the most important point isn't even about the existence of a God, I think its about humans coming to terms with how our brains work.  I think we have to love ourselves more and pray less.

4. Yes if there were to be an awakening, it wouldn't involve belief in Deities or death. It would be something else with a higher probability. This forum is a counter culture for an illegally declared substance the world over. We should be finding realization within our own bodies not in a supposed other reality.

5. #105 Johnny Cash, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2013
     The following things you said:

"Something eternal exists - the question is... is this "eternal existence" conscious?"

"Does this "eternal existence" have a choice?"

"[...] is that this Sole existence posseses, according to Abraham's religion, freedom of choice (as we do - hence, the freedom to believe in something that may seem absurd or paradoxical to some)"

I said that even if predetermination is real, that doesn't necessarily mean a sentient God is making it happen. This doesn't contradict anything you said. It could still mean a conscious God determines what happens in the universe, but it could also mean everything has been predetermined by some other, non-conscious force.

This is what I believe too, but I always recognise that I might be wrong. I do think that the word "God" would become useless in its substantial meaning if we were to (hypothetically speaking) discover there is no God. I agree that we use the concept of God to explain the unknown, but they aren't the same thing. God itself is an explanation, the unknown has no explanation (yet). I think that strictly speaking, the concept of God either originates from truth (i.e. the existance of God as a sentient being that we can in some way detect spiritually or scientifically), or human failure to accurately comprehend reality. I personally believe it to be the latter, but like I said I might be wrong because it would mean I too am imperfectly capable of comprehending reality (which I certainly am).

6. Indeed Sir!

Sent from Odies phone

7. If God existed, would he allow this debate to continue any longer than it has? Meaning the 40,000 years humans have been trying to figure out the puzzle we now call life. If I were God, I would put an end to this debate by showing myself to the world, so humans could move on to more important issues, like saving themselves from extinction.

Ah, but he's testing us of course. He's testing whether or not we choose to disregard our gift of immense cognitive ability and instead rely on blind faith. Now be a good boy and cancel your subscription to Discovery Science.

9. Fuck off Dad! I'll do what I want!

I'm glad I cut that foreskin off while I still had some authority, son.

11. I don't know what to think

12. #112 Firestorm60, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2013
    "Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."
    Thomas Jefferson

13. been through too many scenarios in my life to not believe in God(or whatever his real name is) fuck all you negative people

14. Yeah and he also said Weishaupt was an 'enthusiastic philanthropist'. :rolleyes: :laughing:

So I take it you're in the blindfolded fear camp? You always mention the Illuminati for some reason.

16. He will, soon enough. Problem is, at that point, it is too late to be raptured. Then the anti christ steps up and the tribulation begins. There will be tribulation saints, but the hate you'll have to endure, by proclaiming the faith and not taking the mark, will test you to the end, and you'll be killed for your faith. I would do it though, if I were you at that time. 

17. Do you not understand the whole point of "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me"?
    I bring them up because I overstand their presence is real and they are working for satan, but also brought Adam Weishaupt up because you posted a quote by Thomas Jefferson who backed Weishaupt; so his view of God really isn't relevant.

Aren't you supposed to fear God? I've heard Christians saying that many times. They often even use the phrase "God fearing" to describe a good person.

19. We can either accept that we have new information, have made discoveries or otherwise know more about the universe than did the people in the first century.  Or we can bury our heads in the religious sand and act like the world is seven thousand years old and the fossil record is a conspiracy.  In my way of thinking "God" would be fundamentally against willful ignorance and would desire that we challenge each other and not wallow in antiquity as if there isn't a here and now.

The great debate shouldn't be questioning if there is or isn't a God, but it should be about why are we so afraid of seeing the universe without one?

So you fear no evil? That means you don't lock your doors at night? If you do lock your doors, what's there to fear?