A Great Debate on the Existence of GOD

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Boats And Hoes, Sep 27, 2013.

1. So, you're into solipsism, that's cool.

2. It's a slippery slop that you're on.

3. #63 Boats And Hoes, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2013

What are you talking about? Don't dodge the question -- How does one "prove" the reality of something??

4. #64 Keeper of Time, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    Solipsism is the belief that nothing exists outside of your own mind. You asked me the question of how does one prove anything. But you can't prove anything to a solipsists.

5. #65 Boats And Hoes, Sep 29, 2013

I know what solipsism is... but, it has nothing to do with anything right now.

"You asked me the question of how does one prove anything. But you can't prove anything to a solipsists." -- So, does that mean you're a solipsist? And, if you're not... how does one "prove" the reality of something???

6. Lol, what you just said is narrow minded...

7. I'm open to the thought that there may be a God, but I'd like some proof first. Faith doesn't work for me.

:rolleyes:

OKAY, SO... HOW DOES ONE "PROVE" ANYTHING? WITH TANGIBLE AND EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE?

9. So you're a subconscious solipsists it sounds like...

10. #70 Boats And Hoes, Sep 29, 2013

:rolleyes: -_-

11. You can't prove something that doesn't exist, doesn't exist.

It would be like me saying, "Prove that my invisible big orange dog doesn't exist."

12. #72 Boats And Hoes, Sep 29, 2013

So, let me pose the question to you... how does one "prove" the reality of anything?

13. #73 Keeper of Time, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    I think you're confused... I'm not trying to prove God doesn't exist. I was saying it's ignorant to believe in something that can't be proven or disproved. Sure, it may be fun to entertain the thought, but to go so far as to claim that this invisible creator actually exists is ludicrous if you have no evidence.

14. One may only discern the existence of God through the faculty of reason, which exists higher than the idea of evidence, for it is though reason alone that we comprehend and through reason that we determine what is evidence and what is not.

Our world is not one where we can understand the underlying dynamics of creation and existence through evidence alone, for the evidence is a result of said existence.

15. #75 Boats And Hoes, Sep 29, 2013

Can one prove or disprove darwinian evolution? Yea, sure, we can demonstrate adaptation and micro-evolution... but can one "prove" or "disprove" macro-evolution? Or is macro-evolution just a belief and conjecture founded on the data pertaining to adaptation and micro-evolution?

16. Darwinian evolution is conjecture, I agree, but that's only because it's become accepted as fact and no other answers have been found. Truth is truth. Truth is something that has happened or is currently happening. There can only be one truth, as reality is objective. Humans just have a difficult time being objective when they let their personal beliefs influence their findings. 

17. First off, the thing you're proving exist has to actually exist.  Not be based off faith that said object or person does in fact exist.

And of course you need evidence to back your claim.  Using stories from an obviously biased source such as bibles or religious texts doesn't strengthen your case.  

18. #78 Boats And Hoes, Sep 29, 2013

1.) As a wise man once said, "the truth cannot contradict itself." So, how is it "ignorant", and wrong, to believe there to be a source for our contingent, dependent and finite existence??

2.) How can someone "prove" the existence of a reality independent of their subjection to it?? Asserting an objective reality by way of your subjectivity, really? A relative subject can never demonstrate - let alone observe, i.e., "prove", a reality independent of his or her empirical experience... it's true, and crazy to think otherwise.

Listen to the debate.

20. You asked I answered.

Debating these things are always pointless.  You end up right where you started.