Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

A good weed statement to start off my paper

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by JetsDropBombs, Jan 13, 2012.

1. So i have a research paper to write and i did not like any of the topics my teacher told me i had to write about. So i asked him could i write a persuasive essay on legalizing marijuana. He said yes i was very thrilled at the fact that he accepted the topic. But i am having trouble actually having a astonishing attention getter to get the reader interested in the whole article. Any suggestions???

2. Try your sig man.

3. lol i was thinking about that... But i want it to pertain to legalizing as well as keeping the reader interested

4. "Would you rather drink and smoke cigarettes harming not only yourself but others, or smoke marijuana and not harm anything living? Now, which one seems like it would be a good idea to have legal in the U.S?"

5. I appreciate that... But he says my thesis can only be one sentence... And in that one sentence i want to introduce how weed can help the nation if legalized... But i definitely will be using that in my paper though

6. Talk about many jobs being created along with the hemp industry skyrocketing.

7. Let's smoke a bowl!

Now after you open with that you should say, how nice would it be if it was legal for us to enjoy a natural healthy high blah blah blah.

8. "shit, 4:20..... Wheres my lighter?"

9. Cannabis legalization reduces drunk driving deaths?

10. Are you from the U.S.? if you are then this could be a good thesis statement for a simple five paragraph essay: The United States should legalize marijuana because of its medical benefits, its potential to help stimulate the economy, as well as the nation's past experiences with prohibition. Then in each paragraph you could talk about 1) benefits for cancer and aids patients 2) The fact that cannabis is the number one cash crop, and the fact that the war on drugs costs u.s. taxpayers over 30 billion dollars each year. 3) how alcohol prohibition caused crime to go up and was an overall failure. Good Luck!

11. Talk about hemp seed and its great nutritional value that can help feed the starving?

12. start wit; cannabis, a very useful plant. it has many properties such as hemp and weed. you can also make many different products out of it. examples are hash, kief, green dragon, smoothies, pizza, brownies, firecrackers, ice cream, and cakes.

13. Would you rather end cancer with weed, or start cancer with ciggarettes?

14. It's in your hand dude!

15. I recently wrote a paper about marijjuana legalization for my classs.. I had to debate about it.. heres the paper

\t\t

\tIn the United States, the cultivation, sale, distribution and possession of marijuana is illegal. It has been illegal since it was placed on the schedule I drug list.
    Under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970, marijuana became classified as a Schedule I drug on the basis that it exemplifies 1 or more of the following criteria for Schedule I drugs#:
    1. The drug has a high potential for abuse
    2. The drug has no current accepted medical use in the United States
    3. There is a lack of accepted safety for the drug

\tThere are numerous alleged reasons as to why marijuana is illegal. It’s overall taboo nature today is a result of early propaganda, such as reefer madness, forming the opinions of post Industrial Revolution Americans. The anti marijuana movement began with the creation of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics in 1930. They purported ridiculous lies, as well as associating marijuana use with racism. The director of the Bureau, Harry J Anslinger, was known for his curt comments regarding marijuana and minorities#:

“Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.”
    In fact ,he was more than known. He would be the man who almost single-handedly changed America’s perception about marijuana.
    The Federal Bureau of Narcotics, led by Anslinger, paved the way for media, such as the popular 1936 movie Reefer Madness to influence the American people, and it all went in one direction from there. The movie depicted marijuana as the new drug craze, and attempted to scare teens and alert parents, creating a false veil of maliciousness around marijuana. In fact, the film directly stated that smoking marijuana causes insanity. At one point, a woman smokes marijuana, then laughs while a man who has smoked marijuana beats a third person to death. The anti-marijuana movement was a snowball-effect of cumulative factors, mostly government and propaganda which associated marijuana use with ludicrous things. In addition to associating it with racism, government mixed in elements of marijuana inducing murder, psychosis, hunger for blood, and more#. Time and social inertia cemented the place of marijuana as a taboo topic.
    \tIn addition to the Reefer Madness craze, marijuana is illegal because of its early association with hard drugs. As mentioned previously, America is not a very old country. When things happen 100 years ago and don’t change for a while, it’s hard to change. Things become cemented in the culture That is called social inertia. In 1914, the Narcotics Act was passed. It clumped marijuana together with real hard drugs like cocaine, heroin and other opiates#. This created a vast gulf in the mind of Americans. People didn’t go out and find out for themselves if there were differences between marijuana and cocaine. They just heard that it was in the same category as hard drugs so they didn’t think twice about reconsidering it. That has a major role in the mindset of America today.

\tThe other major contender in the list of reasons why marijuana is illegal is the conspiracy-esque situation involving the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937. Despite all of the propaganda being thrown around this time period, marijuana was still not illegal. This was mainly due to the fact that marijuana and hemp are part of the same plant. The difference is that marijuana is psychoactive and hemp is not. Hemp is one of the most versatile fibers known to man. It has been used in North America since the 1600s, but it is not psychoactive#. This is when things begin to get a little bit unclear and conspiracy-esque.

\tHemp was a very versatile resource which was competing with the paper and lumber industries heavily. A small group of wealthy men, namely Andrew Mellon, Randolph Hearst and Du Pont, had large financial stakes in these paper/lumber industries and were worried that the hemp decorticator machine would be a big threat to their business#. Du Pont was involved in the invention of nylon, and was seeking to expand it, but could not do so until hemp was not competing with him. Seeing a common objective here, Harry J Anslinger drafted the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 and presented it to Congress#.
    Of course, the Act passed. While the Act did not criminalize the possession of hemp or marijuana, it levied a tax on anyone who dealt commercially with cannabis, as well as strict fines and jail time for not adhering to the rules. The trouble with the tax act is that none were given out. That is, until the United States lost the Philipines to the Japanese. Not only did they lose their land, but they also lost something that was very important to them: Hemp. All of a sudden, the Department of Agriculture began urging all farmers to grow hemp. They created an informational video, Hemp For Victory telling farmers why they should grow hemp and why it is good for the country#. Stamps were given out to grow hemp, and just like that, the plant was a great, useful crop instead of a murder-inducing drug. Once the war was over, the push for hemp production dissipated and it was not important anymore. The last commercial hemp fields in the United States were in Wisconsin in 1957#.

Cannabis has had a long, controversial history in the United States. It’s true reasons for its illegality have been unclear and often veiled by layers of apparent conspiracy and blatant lies. It appears that as a whole, the United States doesn’t want to recognize the potential of cannabis. Even though the United States is the largest importer of hemp in the world today, the United States government still does not recognize a difference between the non psychoactive hemp plant and marijuana.

16. double post

17. Find a transcript of the union.
    Write your name on top.
    ??
    Profit.
    :cool: :smoking:

18. You need a thesis statement to produce an argument that your entire paper will discuss. A good way to start a paper and lead into a thesis is the funnel method. Start with a very broad, hard to argue statement such as weed is a widely used drug today (just an example). Then move onto a statement that is more able to be argued such as there are many pros and cons to it. Then another similar sentence slightly more specific. Then move into a thesis statement, such as "Marijuana should be legalized in the United States today, particularly because of (fill in the blank)"

Hope that made sense, trying to remember my days of high school english honors.

19. Thesis: Though the use, sale, and cultivation of cannabis in the US continues to occupy a legal grey area, controlled legalization is a better option for a number of reasons.

paragraph 1: Laws should be consistent in all parts of the country, and the best way to resolve this is federal legalization.

paragraph 2: Cannabis has demonstrated medical uses and therefore does not meet the criteria for schedule 1 substances

paragraph 3: Controlled legalization is supported by the majority of Americans and would create substantial (and much needed) tax revenue.