A glimmer of enlightenment in TEXAS!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Storm Crow, Nov 7, 2022.

1. It's not a huge step toward legalization, but when it comes to Texas (where I have family), I'll take even the "baby steps"! :weed::yay:

Marijuana on the ballot for four Central Texas cities
    Marijuana on the ballot for four Central Texas cities

AUSTIN, Texas - Marijuana is on the ballot again this year, this time in four Central Texas cities.
    Elgin, Harker Heights, Killeen, and San Marcos residents will be voting on whether to eliminate enforcement of low-level marijuana offenses.

Under current Texas law, only the use of "low THC, high cannabidiol (CBD)" products for medical reasons in limited situations or as a legal defense is legal, according to both the National Conference of State Legislatures and NORML, a cannabis advocacy group. THC, which stands for tetrahydrocannabinol, is the main psychoactive compound in marijuana and is what makes people feel "high."

At least nine other U.S. states have such laws: Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

Despite this, there has been a push in Texas in recent years to effectively decriminalize marijuana by eliminating the enforcement of low-level possession cases. In May, Austin voters passed Prop A, banning "no knock" warrants and decriminalizing Class A and Class B misdemeanor possession charges for up to about two ounces. The vote came after both the Austin City Council voted to stop spending money on marijuana testing and the Travis County DA’s Office stopped prosecuting low-level marijuana offenses. (snipped)

It's a start! Be sure to VOTE!

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I found this pretty interesting and was surprised as well except for Austin. Like many places in the south have different alcohol laws from county to county, pot will likely be this way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. And as a follow-up! :passtheshit: :GettingStoned: All five cities (puff-puff-) passed their initiatives! :yay:

Five Texas cities vote to decriminalize low-level marijuana possession
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/texas-cities-vote-decriminalize-low-level-marijuana-possession

Residents of five Texas cities voted to decriminalize low-level marijuana possession through ballot initiatives on Tuesday.

It comes months after residents in the state capital of Austin voted to decriminalize the drug under a proposition that says "police officers shall not issue citations or make arrests for Class A or Class B misdemeanor possession of marijuana offenses," unless marijuana is seized as part of a larger narcotics investigation.

Residents of San Marcos, Denton, Killeen, Elgin and Harker Heights followed Austin's lead after advocacy groups helped get the marijuana question on ballots, according to Fox 7 Austin. (snipped)

Congrats to the people of San Marcos, Denton, Killeen, Elgin and Harker Heights! :yay:

• Like Like x 2
  4. The opposition is sure trying to obstruct this will of the people. I’ve seen where some places have already gotten the signatures to put the measure back on ballots. I think pot will win this.

• Like Like x 2
  5. An Update-
    I think certain Texans are just about ready to replace their city officials, ASAP! :mad2: Thwarting the will of the voters in NOT how you stay in office!

Voters in five Texas cities approved decriminalizing marijuana. Now city officials are standing in the way.
    Marijuana decriminalization stalled by Texas cities despite voter approval | The Texas Tribune

The fight in several Texas cities to decriminalize marijuana has entered a new phase, as some city leaders have rebuffed voter-approved rules that largely end criminal enforcement against having small amounts of the substance.

Last month, residents in Denton, San Marcos, Killeen, Elgin and Harker Heights overwhelmingly approved ballot measures that sought to ban arrests and citations for carrying less than 4 ounces of marijuana in most instances. They also approved new rules blocking cities from funding THC concentration tests, plus removing marijuana smell as a probable cause for search and seizure in most cases.

Winning over voters was just half the battle.

Since then, organizers behind the ballot questions in some cities have clashed with their city and county leaders who are tasked with putting the new laws in place, as well as law enforcement. Those officials have said the effort violates state law and hinders police officers.

The battle has been the toughest in Harker Heights, a town of 33,000 about 55 miles southwest of Waco. Despite the proposition winning more than 60% of the votes, the City Council decided to repeal the ordinance just two weeks later. City Manager David Mitchell said in a subsequent letter that the decision to decriminalize should be left to the state.

For Harker Heights residents who supported decriminalizing marijuana, the repeal is a stinging show of disrespect for their exercise of democracy.

“I don’t do any kind of drugs nor does my wife, but we’re here for the vote,” said Brian Burt, who casted his ballot for the proposition.

“A vote is a vote,” Alexandra Burt chimed in. “We are also aware that minorities disproportionately take the brunt of the law, so it is time for that proposition to go through.”

To force the City Council’s hand, the Burts and hundreds of other residents backed a new petition by Ground Game Texas, a progressive group that co-led the decriminalization campaign, to put the council’s decision to repeal on the May ballot and revive the ordinance in the meantime.

Julie Oliver, the group’s executive director, said the council’s decision to revoke a popular choice by voters has backfired.

“Shutting down someone’s vote is ill-advised, so this has really brought the community together,” she said. (snipped)

That last sentence is an understatement! Even those who voted against decriminalizing should be upset about this! The City Council

It is not “government of the people, by the people, for the people", if the City Council overrules the voters!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. In Dallas, they let you go if you have two ounces or less. They can still charge you if a drug related call occurs, or if you have bags for distribution. Unfortunately, I believe that included packs of no-smell bags which are great for personal use. Just buy two ounces at a time.:love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2
  7. In a city that big I don’t see how they have time for a pot crime anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. They haven’t cared for a long time, but for a while you wouldn’t want to get pulled over with it. Now, there’s a probability you will go free and they don’t pocket your stash.

• Like Like x 1