A General Guide to Fitness and Nutrition

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Sovereign Psyche, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Oh I forgot you followed me my entire life, when I was repping out 240 pounds on the bench press at eight times weighing in at 165lbs. when I barely turned 16 years old. Then I started boxing and found it to be detrimental to my sport of choice to have a huge chest. Then I tore my rotator cuff and eventually just started working out solely to get as much pussy as I can.

There's my life story broski. And still I applaud you for trying to question my credentials and logic while you have neither.

Bahahahahaha nice study. I'm glad to know you base your perception of nutrition and anatomy from a single psychology department in the entire world. A lame study at that. Yeah if you eat 300 grams of protein a day, it will be more beneficial than 50 grams for sure. But at the same time, you cannot absorb that much. It is impossible for your body to absorb one gram of protein per every pound of body weight unless you are on steroids.

How about you start reading up on protein synthesis from a REAL science department and then come back here. Psychology lmao...

2. But hey both of you, I am glad you guys are spewing all this information. At least this way the false information on here can be exposed to whoever is trying to follow a 'general' guide.

Oh yeah, and why would you want to gain fat to begin with? You can gain muscle without gaining fat... there's no need to make your heart work more and to continually keep feeding your fat cells. Yeah it might be a path to getting bigger, but it's definitely not the wisest or healthiest one. When I was in high school and bulking, I don't ever remember gaining more than 5 pounds of weight the entire year yet my numbers in every exercise were exploding.

3. If you read the paper you would know that it was a journal done with multiple studies cited from different sources.

How does a scholarly journal sit with you?

Increased protein intake during the recovery phase after severe burns increases body weight... - Abstract - UK PubMed Central

"Group 1 patients (n=8) also were provided a standard nutrient supplement to maintain caloric intake at 30 to 35 kcal/kg/day and to maintain protein intake at 1.3 to 1.5 g/kg/day. Group 2 patients (n=7) were provided a high-calorie, high-protein diet plus a protein hydrolysate (70 g/day) that provided a protein intake of 1.7 to 2 g/kg/day. Group 1 patients averaged a 1 to 1.5 pound weight gain per week or four pounds during three weeks. Their physical therapy index at three weeks of 4+/-0.5 indicated adequate improvement in strength and endurance. Group 2 patients averaged 2.5 to 3 pounds weight gain per week or 8.5 pounds during three weeks. Their physical therapy index of 7+/-0.7 indicated marked gains in muscle strength...We conclude that increased protein intake by means of adding a protein hydrolysate increases the rate of restoration of body weight and muscle function. "

It is impossible to gain muscle without gaining a small amount of fat. A clean bulk is the best way to maximize muscle gain and keep fat gain to a minimum.

4. #24 dariolovesdeb, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
    Correlation does not equate to causation. Just because they are consuming that many grams of protein does not mean they are absorbing all of it. Again, read up on protein synthesis with respect to the human body.

Impossible?

A pound of stored fat has 3,500 calories.

A male at 180lbs. that has 12% body fat has at least 20 pounds (I'm doing very quick math, just guessing) of fat. So that's what, 70,000 calories of stored energy? Don't be fooled by what bodybuilders preach; educate yourself with real science and stop learning from professional gym rats.

5. Man this thread is full of exercise-related vitriol. Not chill.

6. Even if they weren't "absorbing" it, the group with the higher protein intake grew more muscle.

Here bro, here's another scientific journal.

Beyond the zone: protein needs of active indi... [J Am Coll Nutr. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

Another strawman; wtf does this have to do with my post?

If you are growing muscle, fat gain is inevitable; the best you can do is minimize it with a clean bulk.

7. Already argued with these guys bunch of brainwashed knowitalls

YOUR BODY HAS ZERO IDEA YOUR EATING MCDONALDS FOOD IS FOOD FAT PROTEIN CARB

Please show me a 100gprotein diet with 3700-4000 calories ? Haha

Genetics, how you grew up, current activities, routine etc all come into play EVERYONE is different best way is find what works for you then stick to it

8. Not trying to get overly involved in this discussion, but, a couple things.

The studies that you cited referenced 1.5-2g of protein per KG per day for optimal growth.
    I'd like to point out that one kilogram is 2.2 pounds, meaning that its actually just under 1:1 for protein:lbs of body weight, probably somewhere around .8g/lb.

To the guy above me - yes, it can. Different foods are digested in different ways, because of how the molecules are arranged, or how much breaking down of it you need to do to get what you want. The term 'complex carbohydrate' comes to mind. However, if you're trying to bulk, I don't really see how this would matter, although it could matter if you were trying to lose weight. Eating foods that take more energy to digest would help you lose weight, because you would be using that more more energy to digest, while still consuming the same amount of calories.

That's all hope that it helps.