A friendly dispute .Need someone to short this out

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ganja4, Dec 26, 2010.

1. i argue with my friend about the distance of the lights to the plants top.He has a mh 400w and is keeping it 24" from the plants.These 2 plants are an autoflowering strain i think lowrydersone is 5.5" and the other is 6".Another plant in the same tent is 15" and we keep it 11" from the light.Heat is not a prob cuz we have 82 f at day and 75 f at night.If i put my hand in top of the plant (11" from the light) it feels fine no heat.So i tell him he should take the smaller plants with their soil and put them in pots somewhere closer to the light cuz 24" is too far.He disagrees with that , so i need opinions.

second question is does anyone of them looks ready to harvest ?

Attached Files:

2. ...IMO....2 feet away from a 400 watt HID during flowering is too far away. I keep my 600's around 18 inches away....I'd keep a 400 about 12 inches away from your canopy, as long as you donot burn your foilage. More light = more bud. Light far away makes smaller buds.

.... I'd get a magnifying glass, when you see 1/2 amber, 1/2 milky trichomes...it's harvest time.

3. #3 yoctown, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
    Metal halide during budding? Weak sauce. Switch to HPS if possible. I like to have my 400w mh about 12 inches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Do u mean half as half of the number of total trichomes or half on each trichome ?

5. Where can i find sth similar with t5 lamps ?

6. Not sure. Don't know much about T5's.

7. ...total:laughing:

8. why grow enough for 1-2 joints max?

cut them lil ones out get some real size of a plant and there

9. Dude alot of people pull 14-20 g's off of lowryder strains/autoflower so 4x14 is 48 grams if grown right, If I remember I think some1 on here 1 & half onces

10. t5's are like cfl's the closer the better they have a much much steeper lumen drop off rating. and they do not penetrate the dense foliage very well. t5's will burn leafs though so dont let them touch. they work well i am using a sun leafs 8 bulb 50/50 setup and it is making some nice bushy plants well with some pruning of coarse. i had my plants 3" away from my 400watt mh when i used it and my plants loved the crap out of it.

11. As long as heat is not an issue, the OP is correct (show yer bud those charts, if he still does not believe you)....buds will be better if the light is closer. However those two small plants are not ready to harvest yet.

Hey Yoc, thanks for posting those charts....I had em somewhere but could not find them! I run my 400w HPS about 8-10 inches away from tops in flowering...I can't get them any closer and cover all the plants correctly, I rotate them daily to compensate for this, and I get good yields. But my plants are 3-4 feet tall.

12. No problem I bumped the chart from a thread a while ago. Figured it served pretty useful. It also addresses the "if heat is not a problem".

13. Today i made my first grow box."the mother box"
    i bought 23w cfls but i cant find this things that i see on peoples photos .The things that u can attach 2 or 3 or more cfls on.how are they called . i think i can not find sth like this in my whole f*****g country.
    Can somebody tell me how they are called? ballasts ? multy - ballasts ? just tryin to gess.

14. They are called "y" type bulb socket adapters, and they may not be available in your country due to different electrical codes, i.e. they don't want you to use them there!...order them from Lowes.com or somewhere in the USA, Home Depot.com, Ace hardware.com or google "Y type Bulb socket adapters" in your country.