A flashlight that shines darkness.

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by Antibalas, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Instead of flashing light in a dark room, this light flashes a concentrated beam of darkness wherever you point the flashlight(flashdark maybe?)

I know darkness is just the absence of light but it would be a wicked cool idea in real life.

If they can make spray products like Ozium that eat up smells they should make flashlights that dissolve light around them.

Done now. :D

2. It would have to be able to stop the sun or external lights from giving it light, though. In that case, it would have to create some invisible shield around the area, and then it would only be able to cover the light of a 3D geometric shape.

3. i would use lots of these at a black metal show.

4. These would be amazingly useful for growing marijuana, as i wouldn't need to put it in an enclosure to keep out light.

5. not really sure why you would want this lol but wouldn't you need like a portable black hole type deal to "suck" the light out of the area you point the "darklight/flashdark" w/e?

6. This would be awesome, too bad it's not possible. If only this "beam" could suck up and destroy photons.

7. Take a picture of a light beam or something with the negative setting on your camera and you will get an idea of what it would be like.

8. An umbrella?

9. Did you know a flashlight was called a flashlight because when it was first invented? It could only create enough power to flash periodically, rather than hold a continuous beam.

And that's why flashdark doesn't make sense.

10. #10 sovietpothead, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2012

so, beamdark it is .
    + yeah , the814 ... that's about the same thing i was thinking ... portable black hole .how long do you think it will take the first human being before he tries to use the beamdark as a fleshlight ? :eek:

11. its called a shadow lol

12. @sovietpothead, i really think something similar to that would be the only way. but i'm no scientist?

and a shadow def. isn't a "beamdark" it's just something in the way of the light making it dark. like you wouldn't be able to put a shadow over a street light and make it dark the street light would still shine but if you had a "beamdark" it would suck the light right out and the street light would be essentially off, i guess.

13. I used to think about this all the time when I was a kid! Wicked!

14. I think you describe a portable black hole sir

15. Hahaha! I love it!

16. #16 Meursault, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
    Hmmm....now I'm drunk as fuck and certainly no physicist but bear with me here....

1.) Light=waves(/also kinda particles/whateverthefuck)
    2.) Waves go like this /\/\/\/\/\/\
    3.) Waves can be effectively cancelled out by hitting them with waves that are half of a cycle out of phase (ie for every /\/\/\ there is a \/\/\/ on top of it)
    4.) ???
    5.) Flashdarks for all!

PS: Who gives a fuck if it flashes? It's still a flashdark homie. Mothafuck a beamdark. That's just plain unscientific.

17. Its like a portable black hole

18. Huge heists could be accomplished with some big flashdarks...

p.s. Can i use a flashlight inside a bigger flashdark?

19. [quote name='"PeruvianDank"']Can i use a flashlight inside a bigger flashdark?[/quote]

Now we are really thinking! I like it!

20. It would have to be pretty big to cover the size of a patio so I can throw bbqs in the day but have it look like it was night ....