A few words from Steven Weinberg

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by DirtySix, Jun 16, 2011.

1. found in Dreams of a Final Theory:

Just found that a little relevant.

2. more than a little i'd say. lol

3. It's funny how reading a classic can still be so relevant. :)

4. Word.

I think I found God in my calve because lately it keeps twitching sporadically... or is it spasms?

:poke:

5. Guys. God is positive energy. Good vibes, man.

Avoid those negative vibes... er, wait that's a negative thing to do. Embrace the... no wait, that doesn't make sense either. God is so fucking confusing, man.

6. Whats his point? That we shouldn't find happiness?

BTW, yes god is in a lump of coal.

7. his point is that things that are defined already have no need to be redefined by god. if you want to worship the universe go ahead and do it.. no reason to bring god into it.

i pretty much worship the universe. shit.

8. where was anything said about happiness

9. Me too. I worship god. Just cause some are afraid of the word, doesn't mean I am. You realise pretty much all religions began pantheistic right?

10. afraid.. again with the afraid. where do you guys get this stuff? lol
    i say "god" every 20 words in this section it seems like.

it has nothing to do with fear and everything to do with inconvenience.

11. You say what isn't god.. but w/e. I don't want to argue so I'll let the denial continue.

12. i got god
    im better and braver, and god gone it, people like me

^ goes both ways... you can't say what god is, either.

13. the denial of what? the universe? there's no denial other than that you call the universe god and i call it the universe.

pick the more finite definition ;)

14. Relevant to what? Seems like an insignificant paragraph. Hope he's a better writer in the rest of his book.

15. relevant to the everyday grind in the S&P hood.

16. #16 Magic Flight LB, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2011
    Well the term "god" has been around longer (what it refers to anyways), so I'll stick with it.

Anyways, maybe I misinterpreted it, but people like the term "god" because it allows them to see beauty in everything. For him to try to say this is pointless, is like saying it's pointless to find beauty. Let me guess, we shouldn't use the word beauty either because it is open to interpretation. Apparently you guys feel differently so thats fine.

Peace.

17. i think it's funny how people think that due to my lack in "god" i have no spirituality. i have immeasurable admiration of the universe, or multiverse, or whatever it is that we're an insignificant part of. you don't need god to feel astonished, bewildered, and endlessly respectful of existence as it exists to us.

18. Well you believe in the same thing as me then. We just label it differently. I'd say your also a pantiest then, but fuck labels. :)

19. see, that's the problem. there's no need for me to label my respect for the awesomeness of existence anything other than respect for the awesomeness of existence.

it has nothing to do with theism.

but yes, it's pretty much the same belief. pantheism is atheism's younger sibling lol

20. #20 Magic Flight LB, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2011
    Pantheism is more agnostic IMO, but it does accept the universe/nature/existence/objective reality/"god" as its higher power/creator.

edit: please don't act like panthiesm and atheism is similar. The believers prove to not agree. (The ones I've discussed with, besides you) Again, I think your forgetting pretty much all religions began panthiestic.