A Few Questions For Those Who Have Experience

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by UpAndComer, May 26, 2014.

1. Ok to break it down this is my first grow I have a big homemade shade similar to hps shades but I have 8 24 watt cfls in there someone told me doing lst and scrog I could get close to a pound will this be enough light for 1 plant to thrive also to accomodate the 1 plant lst scrog i have a 50 litre fishbin for a pot for extra root growth it has 2 inchs of pebbles then soil Which i sifted all the bark out and mixed perlite in 5 litres of perlite to 30 litres of soil stones are for airation and drainage

2. #2 dukedogg76, May 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
    General rule of thumb is that if you are 100% efficient (environment dialed in correctly, no nute burn or deficiency, correct pH, etc.), you can grow one gram of bud for every watt of light you use.  This is the gold standard.  Most growers will get somewhere between 0.7 to 0.9 grams per watt with excellent conditions, but these numbers are generally with more intense lights (HID) than CFLs. There are approximately 453.5 grams in a pound, so following the gram/watt rule of thumb, you would need at least 453 watts to get a pound.  In reality, the only one plant one pound scrogs I have seen, have been grown under either 600 or 1,000 watt lights.  I have seen some good CFL grows, and they make a lot of sense for new growers who either can't afford HID lights or don't have the ability to properly exhaust that kind of heat, but I don't think you would be able to get a pound out of one plant with CFLs.  Even if you bought enough watts to mathematically do it, you would not have the same light penetration as the HID lights, and so you would really need to have a blanket of CFLs hanging directly over a scrogged out canopy.  

As for  your soil, I don't like the sound of sifting out bark.  If you are using dirt from your backyard, be prepared to have bugs in your soil, and hence bugs in your grow.  50 liters is a bit overkill in my opinion.  Generally you need 4 liters of medium for every month you plan on growing the plant.  I would think 20-30 liters would be the largest you would need to go.  A bigger bin isn't a terrible idea, but you would be better off transplanting from smaller containers once or twice (4 liter to 12-15 liter to 20-30 liter) as the plant grows.  If you go straight into the 50 liter bin you could have problems with the soil not drying out completely because the plant is too small to use it all.  Also you could develop air pockets.  I'm sure there are other reasons to avoid going directly into a bin that large, but you get the point.  Finally, if it isn't already, make sure that 50 liter bin has drainage holes, even if you do have aeration and drainage stone at the bottom.  

Good luck.

3. You just blew my mind I understand what needs to be done master an its store bought pot mix its the best I cam buy in my area

4. Had tonnes of bark even for expensive shit

5. And it had about 20 1 inch diameter drainage holes

6. Buy (2) 600w HPS or at least (1) 1,000w  Lights and genetics are everything.

If you want pounds grow hydro. You can fuck around half a year growing pounds in dirt.