A few questions for the experts

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by TEL9, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Hey everyone. I have been hanging around this forum for a couple weeks now and have seen some awesome information. It seems as though you guys seriously know your stuff. Although I have seen so much info here regarding various topics of organic growing I have a hard time remembering it all and when I try to recall where certain things were discussed I get lost in the depths of the forum. I would love this growing season to be one I can look back on as my best in regards to plant health and yields and so I have a few questions.

1) Soil. I have been using raised beds filled with a pretty generic but effective planting soil (sandy loam) that is available from a landscape supply company in my area, to this I add some quality compost. While not the best soil it is however cheap (20 bucks a yard) and I have several beds to fill. I was wondering what I could add to this soil to really get the most out of it. From what I can remember espoma plant tone is a pretty safe bet as it is a balanced mix of several amendments, also some azomite rock dust, and kelp meal. Can anyone recommend anything else that I should have going on here?

2) Fertilizing. In the past I never really added any fertilizers, I would just amended my soil with some compost prior to planting and hope for the best. This year I would like to incorporate some kind of boost for the plants throughout the growing season. I believe fish hydrolysate is recommended as well as seaweed extract? If anyone has a brand they could recommend or other products I should look into for this purpose that would be awesome.

3) Comfrey. I had never heard of comfrey until reading through this forum. It sounded like an awesome plant to incorporate, so I did some reading from a few of the links that people have put up. After seeing pictures and learning some basics about it I was shocked and really excited to see that it is growing all over the place in the very back end of the property I live on. I remember seeing a use for comfrey as a fermented extract, combined with water and let to sit for some time and then watering the plants with it. Any info about this practice would be appreciated (how much comfrey to water, how long to let it sit, how often to apply).

4) Different Teas. Nutrient, botanical, AACT, ACT on and on. I plan on constructing a small brewer for AACT soon with all that I have learned from both this forum and microbeorganics. Aside from AACT I was curious about the use of botanical and nutrient teas, as I'm still not 100% clear on what they are or why they are used. I figured if I was to build a brewer I might as well have a few uses for it. Any info about nutrient or botanical tea (usage, recipe, application rate…) would be appreciated.
    I realize that I just asked a ton of questions but any little piece of information you folks are willing to share will really mean a lot to me. Again thank you all so much for your valuable information, it has really inspired me.

2. Hey there TEL9. Welcome to GC and the organics forum. :)

1) Strongly consider high quality ewc's. These topics might be of help to you if you want to mix your own soil blend.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/951816-what-soil-recipes-do-you-guys-use.html
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/962201-urban-soil-crafting.html

As well as this one if you want to buy bagged soil.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/988488-ready-grow-bagged-soil.html

2) Actually, the main focus for the heavyweights here is a no feed (in conventional terms) garden. Botanical teas and Fermented Plant Extracts (fpe's) are often used to help with micronutrient deficiencies and to add plant compounds that aid in growth and in fighting pests. Occasional top dressings with ewc's. Another additive in favor here are AACT's and/or compost teas.

3) Read this thread for info on botanical teas including comfrey.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/951823-botanicals.html

4) This topic is helpful.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/333940-post-your-organic-tea-recipe.html

As is this collection of quotes from our own LD.

Good luck! :)

3. Tel9, yes, you just asked a ton of questions, but nothing original or in particular. All the answers are already in the main threads. However, since you have read some threads and are still feeling unsure I (and im sure some other good hearted gardeners) will begin to try and guide you down the right path for you.

1) soil - first off, there is nothing wrong with a cheap base soil. In fact many of us are always looking for cheaper inputs without sacrificing quality and availability. A sandy loam soil with added compost is a great start.

2) amendments - there are many to choose from for npk so its really a matter of preference. Alfalfa or soybean meal, or a combination are best for nitrogen if you can get them. About 1-4 months for microbes to break it down. But good ole bloodmeal works as well. Just use a little less as its more readiy available and can burn young plants.
    For phosphorous the cheapest route is rock phosphate. Its very slow to release though, some say its better the second year than the first. There is also good ole bonemeal which breaks down quicker. And there are also guanos which are the most expensive, and it takes about 4+ months for them to really benefit the soil. Its more of a longterm amendment that works well.
    For K kelpmeal is the way to go as it also provides an amazing assortment of trace minerals. There is also greensand which like rock phosphate is very slow and is more for the long haul.
    Trace minerals can be added specifically with various rock dust. I read an article about a burned out farm being revitalized in just a couple years using nothing but compost and rockdust. The vegetables in the pics were massive. So id say its worth adding.

Whew..... Theres a start. Im not too privy about all the different teas yet so im gonna let someone else get that settled for you.

Voo

4. Thank you both so much. weedroid thank you for the links, I'll make sure these get stored in the favorites. Cant wait for the comfrey to fill out a little more and get it soaking, neighbors are going to love me :D

5. First off I would like to give kudos to tel9, for starting this round-table of sorts. Second, I would like to mention that the resources and knowledge that have already been cited in this threads infancy is astounding and remarkable. I have been able to get questions answered that I have been wondering about for months. Now I don't consider myself an expert. But, if there was such a launching pad for someone who might be on the brink,this thread could be that. I to have "lurked" around these halls for the last 13 months gathering and stashing for later use. keep this going. It's like I'm auditing a class of profeesors.
    Thank you
    Cav

6. To fluff up your "sandy loam", I would suggest getting a few bales of peat (Pro-Mix/Premier Peat).

Compost, if you can gt some, or start making your own is very important. That, and earthworm castings. These two items are the heart of any successful organic soil mix, as they provide the living soil biology that is so very important to us.

Kelp Meal - get yourtself a big sack. Its one of our most important, all around ammendments.

You mentioned the Epsoma organic line - good stuff as well.

Peat to condition, compost/ewc to add life, and kelp/epsoma for food.

Jerry.

7. Thanks Jerry,

I'll check out the peat. I actually do have a compost pile cooking as we speak, took its temp this morning and it was steady at 120. Still need to get some good EWC. After more reading i think agrowinn may be the best i can get in my area. I think I'm going to apply the espoma lighter than the label recommended and beef it up with kelp meal, and neem meal, still undecided on the ratio. I was also able to get my hands on some sul-po-mag and some oyster shell powder, still not totally sure on what ratio to apply those two at either, need to read up a little more on that subject as i know ca/mag ratio is important. Azomite is also present in the garden shed and I'm thinkin that will go in the beds, again probably lighter than label recommendation.

Thanks again for the info

8. i think agrowinn may be the best i can get in my area

They would be the best available in most areas around the USA with some obvious exceptions like Worm Power in Upstate New York.

LD