A few questions about maximizing yield

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Matrixx J, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Well right now I'm growing 4 plants from bagseed in a fully mylar'd closet with a 250 watt hps. Soil grow. Since I will probably (hopefully) get 2 females, I would like to be able to get as much bud out of them as possible. They are all around the 4th or 5th nodes and I was wondering if it is too late to top them or not. Also, is topping a plant that will be allowed to grow to 24" before flowering worth it? I really don't know much about topping except how to do it lol.

Also, I would like to go completely organic. I have heard a lot of good things about using molasses during the end of flowering, but I never understood why it is used only at the end of flowering and not throughout flowering. If anyone could clear that up for me I would be appreciative.

One more question, I have heard its not always smart to post phone pictures (specifically iPhone pictures) but I have caught the fever and I desperately want to share my grow with someone. Does anyone know if posting pictures from a blackberry is safe?

Thanks for any advice guys, stay :smoke:

2. I can't answer all your questions, but re: the phone and pictures, download an "Exif Stripper" (google it) which will remove all personal information from the picture. Use the cable with your phone and directly put the pictures on the computer (don't upload them from the phone itself). Strip the exif data, then upload. As far as I know this should work.

3. No it's not too late to top, in fact the 4th node is about the earliest you should do it.

Yes it's worth it if you plan to veg for at least a couple of weeks. You can't judge by height, if you use some LST with topping it would be possible for the plant to be a monster and still never get more than 24" tall.

You can use molasses throughout the grow (even veg), the idea that it is only for end of flowering is an ignorant misunderstanding of what molasses is for.

4. Listen to Toasty... he's a smart toasty cookie! If your limited to height or you want to maximize your growth also look into other forms of plant training (Plant Training - Grasscity.com Forums). Try to get your plant to go from a towering bud plant to a bushy small bud plant. Search for Slocal's grow for a good example of this.

I never use my cell phone camera for anything RELATED to growing. Also don't use my webcam. If possible pick up a cheap digital camera for like $50 and keep it as your growing camera. I have a digital camera that I just use for my grow so if I forget to take pictures out and the wife takes it into work there is no SHOCK factor :D

Besides I painted my digital camera to match my grow... its camouflage I tell ya...

5. Um, posting pics is always tricky, especially over networks.

iPhone is pretty secure, but Blackberry may not be as much. I think if you want to post pics, you should take the pics off your phone, then send them through these boards.

As for organic growing, I have to say this:

Molasses is touted a lot on these boards, but I have NEVER seen it work in real life. I would avoid it, unless you want to fight your grow the whole time.

Advanced Nutrients has a number of great organic products:

Bud Factor X
    Bud Ignitor
    Grandma Enggy's F-1
    Grandma Enggy's H-2
    Iguana Juice
    Mother Earth Super Tea
    Nirvana
    Organic B Vitamin Booster
    Sensizym
    Wet Betty
    Bud Candy

I've only used the Iguana Juice, Wet Betty, Sensizym, and Bud Candy, but I've heard good things about the other ones.

As for maxxing out your yield, use nutes, have a clean grow room, focus on slowly adding more nutes to the grow, and you'll have a strong finish.