A Few Noob Questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TheBane, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Hello, folks! Long time lurker, first time poster. I've recently started a two-plant grow from bag seed, and I had a couple of questions. Keep in mind, these questions are so ridiculous, that I wasn't able to find answers to them using the Search function.

A little background: I decided, on a whim, to plant a few seeds from the soil in my garden and keep them in the windows for sunlight. Lo and behold, shit started to grow. The seeds were planted on Mother's Day (so late May), but are very short and stretched due to the lack of constant sun and wind.

Since then, I've kept them in my closet with roughly 100 watts of light through 2 CFLs. I'm fully aware that this will not result in optimum yield; I'm growing to see if I can actually accomplish the task, not for full yield.

My questions are as follows:

1) My plants have 3 nodes each, but each node has only 3-leaf branches. Is this considered to be an actual node, or do only the 5-leaf branches count?

2) The amount of growing space that I have is only 2.5 feet tall. What would be the best method to keep them from reaching the ceiling, thus losing light?

2. Many plants have three leaf nodes early in life

Look up topping or LST

3. Top/LST/Super cropping/Scrog

4. Thanks for the replies! I've been looking up the LST method, and that might be more my speed. I know I have a way to go before I do either, but I like to be prepared.

Does topping have any benefit over LST? I know topping produces two colas, but with LST I'll have many little colas. I'm just not sure if it would be more efficient than constantly tying down new growth.

5. If you top as soon as you can you get 2 new tops and then they make more growth than you would have just lsting.

6. Maybe I'll try topping one plant and LSTing the other. Do I count the 3-leaf nodes when determining when I should top, or should I wait for 3 nodes of 5-leaf branches?

7. You can start topping as early as the 4th leaf set. This is one of mine, about 2 days away from her first topping (also once you top, lst the new growth, it will make your plants super happy, give you a bunch of colas, and allow those 100watts to be more efficient.)

1372083398311.jpg

Sent from my Droid using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Thanks for the tip, Jerry! I will definitely give this a shot soon.

9. If you look up pictures top lst'd tops, you can see that you can put them horizontal the first two tops and that will make it grow wide and grow a lot of colas.