A few newby questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ACaveman, Jan 5, 2010.

1. So long time smoker, but beings a college student am very limited on money, so thinking of growing my own instead of buying. Have read countless growing guides and have a pretty good idea of what to expect. I would be doing this in a closet sadly as i have nowhere else to do it, and had a few questions to ask:

Is it completely necessary to monitor and add nutrients to the soil? This is the most confusing part and while i am aware it will help my plant greatly, i cant really be seen carrying fertilizer into my dorm room. That and it scares me to be honest because i am that clueless. So can i have a semi successful plant by just watering?

I would be using very basic lighting. Are typical bulb lights pretty ineffective? I would perhaps buy a cheaper florescent tube or two and use aluminum foil. Sadly again back to the money issue, i cant get high quailty lights. A very small fan to help ventilate, though it will only be one plant to start with and will probably be fine.

As you can see i am talking like very minimal for this plant. Is this even worth a shot? Or do i need to wait until i have a bigger area and more money for lights and stuff. Estimate on how much i can expect to spend on minimum supplies needed would be great also.

2. I heard to not use aluminum foil as it will burn the plants

3. Don't try to grow in a dorm room, much too close quarters for the smells, noises, and strange activities required to grow MJ.

Dorm grow = bust = kicked out of school. You need to wait until you have a more secure situation to try to grow.

4. agreed, thats cutting it close, but lets say he was not in a dorm room, could someone answer his nutrients question, i too am wondering the same thing.

5. Like the people above me have said, growing in a dorm is not the best idea.

If you put the minimal effort into growing a plant, you will get minimal results. Growing one plant under a couple cfl's just doesn't seem worth it to me. If you are going to put the time into, why not make it worth it?

6. Ya i figured. So if i were to do one plant in a closet somewhere, what supplies and setup would you recommend if i were trying to keep the budget on the lower end of the scale?

And is tinfoil really bad? i heard from numerous sources that if i dont have money for alot of high end lights or the ability to paint the room white, tin foil was the way to go to help distribute the light.

No nutrients a no-go then? Just never used them and sorta intimidated by it.

Thanks to all so far.

7. Oh i for sure wont grow it in college. haha. thinking about a friends apartment closet now.

That is a very interesting setup. wouldnt have thought of that. what about when it gets bigger though? mabee just go to a thrift store, buy a few crappy lamps, and surround the plant with those lamps that have the V split and those lights?

8. For sure.

9. well my friend just recently said that it may be possible to do it in his closet at his apartment. trust me i wont do it in college i knew that was dumb from the get go.

But anyway so is tinfoil bad or no? im getting mixed messages. And in the closet would just using like 3 lamps with those V splitters and cfl lights do fine?

10. Foil reflects less light than a flat bright white painted surface or than mylar.