A few dabbing questions

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by kushinjikun, May 1, 2015.

1. So I have no dabber to dab with, and I've been using a nail. Like you know, one you would use to hammer something into. It's shiny, straight out the little home depot box, and up to now of my use, shows no obvious signs of chemical change (smell/color). But I just recently decided to see what metal I the nail was made of, and it's zinc.

Q1) I know it can give off poisonous fumes, but seeing as it's not necessarily the dabbers that's being heated, nor has there been any obvious signs of change as I stated, I should be fine?

Q2) Also on that note, it seems like I have burnt wax on my nail (quartz). It's black and kind of crusty on the nail, and if I heat the nail hot enough (usually higher than I would dab with) it gives of vapor/smoke. It smells much like wax, or even like wax that's been inside a well used vape pen for concentrates. Any idea on what that is?

Q3) Recommended dabbing tools/materials?

Thanks!

2. Yeah man just get a regular titanium nail. My local smoke shop sells them for $3 so im sure you can find one for the same price. Also upgrade to a titanium nail they run about $30 and its better in the long run
    I meant the titanium dabber is $3 and the titanium nail is $30 at my local smoke shop

3. I think going from quartz to cheap titanium is a bit of a downgrade.

4. OMG are you fucking kidding me???

facepalm a million times over..

5. #5 thehighkite, May 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2015
    Stop using a fucking nail to dab with, you idiot. If it even touches the surface of the banger while it's hot, you can't imagine how many toxic particulates are going into your system. You knew this and still did it which is astonishingly stupid. This is one of the most idiotic things I've seen on GC. Hope you don't die from utter stupidity, man.
    Edit: That seemed harsh. Just please buy a proper dabbing tool. Or hell, using aluminum would even be better. Not that I'm advising you to dab with that, but if you have no options, I'd use that instead of a poisonous, galvanized nail.

6. if you have no options, put it on top of a bowl. simple as that!

7. Yo man even paperclips are harmful, but if you just use a paperclip to put the dab on the nail, it work's pretty well. Just don't scrape the paperclip on the nail, actually, try to just not touch the 2. Use a weed stem, I always love doing that with the long ones lol

8. #8 DabsOnTheMountain, May 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
    You were using zinc...
    Wow.

That can't be good for you. I'd be a little worried that this could come back to you someday. I'd leave that in the back of my mind to mention to a doc if something should arise. Zinc is known to be dangerous, but we don't know how much you were really using it and the level of damage. Don't actually worry, odds are you're 100% fine, but It's better to remember these things.

And it dosn't have to smell funny for you to know it's fumed off, lol, it still has, even without smelling funny. If it heats up at all basically you know it has. Hold it on the nail for a couple seconds, (without inhaling!) and then touch it. It's gonna be hot.

That's shit that was in yer errl that didn't vape at regular temps, It could be anything from pesticides to chlorophyl to lipids and other plant gunk. A film of what looks like wet oil is fine, along with black buildup over time, but the way you mention it seems a little funky... 

Does it have a colored, iridescent sheen to it? Is it bubbly after you retorch it? <possibly pesticides/herbicides/fertilizer/gunk
    Does it just vape away as you reheat? <just errl that didn't vape.

A legitimate company selling Ti is the way to go, hands down. Either a flux nail or the infinity, it depends on your budget. Infinity is good for monster globs and retaining heat, but a flux nail has that dome heat shield. I like the flux better. It costs the same amount as the replacement infinity heads, keeps my rigs clean, It has a dome i can carb comfy too. My finger just fits. But that's my dome, if you go flux get a tall dome you can cover easily.
    Plus there's something about that puff of smoke inside the dome. I love it.
    And the flux adds almost no restriction. A big +
    And my infinity whistles no matter what...
    It gets annoying...
    It depends how careful you are with glass too. If you break glass every day a dome isn't for you. It's just more to break.
    Either way, I'd go Ti. Highly educated, silica, and space case are the way to go nailwise. I like HE, but I've only used HE... so, I might be biased... You'll notice everyone here will be biased towards HE too probably. It's just a good company. They deserve their praise. But others I would trust are coming to the scene.

DONT just buy a nail because it says grade 2 on the site, really look into the company, ask about them here too even. Grade 2 might mean china grade 2, which is basically just some bicycles they crushed into nail shapes. They have a different grading standard. 
    Don't fuck around with the nails you buy.
    If you're dabbing, this is where you can't skimp out.
    This shit could really come back to you if you make the wrong decision and try to save $.
    Heavy metal poisoning is no joke.

9. Why don't you just grab a glass dabber. Super cheap from places like etsy and they look cool. I use mine on my quartz nail all the time and I've noticed no problems.

10. There was a big thing about the chemicals used to color glass.
    I still wonder about that, because some colors have some nasty stuff.

11. Use an exacto knife blade

12. same problem

13. You have to get the ones played with the special stuff

14. er?

15. It's like some plating that is resistant to high heats

16. thats why we use titanium

17. I just use a dental tool if I don't need a cap