A few Basic hydro questions

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Johny Apple DWC, Jan 9, 2011.

1. So I have just a couple of questions. I'm using a deep water Culture set up and growing Oasis(Northern Lights #5) and soon to be Armageddon.
    First question, when adjusting my Ph is it all right to go from like 7.2 all the way down to 5.8 in one dose ? or should I do a little, wait a while and do some more. Also, should I try and catch it before it goes to far out of range ? I check em once a day in the morning, and they've been known to drift from 5.8 to like 6.7 overnight. I usually adjust all at once back to 5.8 or 6.0 or whatever. Will that adversely affect my plants nute uptake ?
    Also, can anyone tell me the proper procedure for bumping up nute strength ? I tend to keep em pretty low and think that could be a problem. I don't think it's wise to go from 400 tds up to 1500 or more all at once though. I've heard 50 tds a week, but I'd never get there before they finish like that. It would be helpful to see how someone else feeds through out. Anyone with a clear DWC/ bubble set up feeding journal let me know so I can check out your grow.
    Any input is appreciated as always.

2. just adjust your ph in one shot.. don't worry about doing it slowly.. its better to have the ph at the correct ph rather than slowly killing your plant..

new unwashed buckets IMO actually keep a high ph for about 3 weeks... it slowly corrects itself why you keep phing

I use straight water until the third set of leaves appear.. then fifty percent nutes for one week.. depending on how they handle it(some strains are harder than others)i bump up to 100 percent nutes... Im using lucas so my nutes stay the same the whole time

no one persons opinion on nutes is better than the next.. its what works for you... I happen to like lucas.. its super easy and my systems are mostly automated(besides the daily phing) which if i could do away with that i would...

3. I 100% agree with this post!

4. yea that guy nailed it, plus the nice thing of DWC, is if you were to over nute your plants, you simply flush it back to normal and the plant should restore in a couple hours...

5. Are you running 8 micro 16 bloom the whole way then ?

6. Yep....lucas changed a little....but that will work

7. if ppm drop an ph raises you need more food.
    if ppms raise and ph drops you need less food
    if both stay stable you are doing it right.

8. So what about when you start with fresh nutes, say 780 tds/ppm and 5.5 ph. Now, the first day it drops to 720 tds and 5.8 ph. The second day it only drops to 710 and 5.9 ph. On the third day it rises to 790 and 5.6 ph. So I add water untill it reads 560 tds and 5.8 ph. The next day it reads 590 tds and 5.7 ph.
    This is a general idea of what happens most everytime. I get a few good days where it feeds and then it starts to raise no matter how much I dilute it. Thoughts on that one ?