a female got pollinated, what do i do?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by andy83, Oct 17, 2010.

1. its about 35 days into flowering and i just noticed some seeds forming on one of my plants, there arent too many, maybe 10 spots on the whole plant so far. theres already a lot of bud on the plant too, i dont really want to loose it if i dont have too.

what happens if i do nothing and lets the seeds grow?

i heard i can just pick off the seeds with tweezers, will this work?

should i toss the plant? is it done pollinating?

any good info or sticky's out there i can read?

thanks for any help

2. keep the plant, and use the seeds for next year.

3. i can do that? it wont pollinate any more? and just to be clear, what im seeing are those more elongated looking seeds that come in bunches of four

4. Pictures would help, are you sure they are seeds? If they are coming in as bunches and are elongated, that sounds like you may be describing nanners (male sex organs, they produce pollen, which will then dust your room in hermaphroditic seeds) I wouldn't keep that generation of seeds, as the resulting progeny will tend to have more hermaphrodites (lower potency, less yeild, plus lots more of this problem you have right now) If its male parts pick um, and you may have to keep picking them throughout the grow and salvage some bud.

Here is a link that will help you differentiate between the sex organs.

5. Well, there a few things you can do. You can go through and pick off all the seeds now and still have a chance at having some seedless weed, but it's hard to find them all. SO, you can just leave them go, and just pick out the seeds when you break the weed up to smoke it. If I were you, I wouldn't save the seeds to grow again, unless you know what male plant pollinated your female. There is no scene carrying on genetics if you don't know what you're going to get. The male could have been the scrawniest, weakest, plant in the bunch.

6. I would not pick at growing buds, leave them alone. If they are pollinated, the only thing you can do is find the source of that pollen (male or hermie) and remove it. The seeded bud will still be potent, you just will have a smaller smokable harvest.

But I agree with Norcali, doesn't sound like seeds. Post some pics.

7. thanks a ton guys, this has been very helpful, i just got a few more questions to clear some things up.

i tried getting some pics put my camera sucks and couldnt get a clear picture, but im sure now that they are male organs(stamen or whatever there called), there long, come in bunches, and have a line running down them.

does this mean the plant is just a hermie then?

theres about a dozen of these bunches, should i try to pick the pollen sacks off or just trash the plant?

is there a big risk that it will pollinate the rest of my crop?

thanks again

8. Its a hermie, sorry buddy.

Yes, snip them as they will pollinate your current crop if left alone, and future crops as the pollen can stay in your grow space for years. To neutralize pollen that may be contaminating your grow room, simply mist the room with some water (makes it so the pollen can't fly/be airborne, thus neutralized) After snipping off the first round, check that plant and her kin regularly. If its unmanagable, kill it now. It's not worth loosing a whole crop over one naughty sexually confused girl.

When faced with this problem in my first grow I used some "dutch master reverse". I didnt have the hermie problem again, and i don't know if this is because of the product, or just the hermiation was stress induced or what.

TL;DR Snip the clusters off, check regularly, toss her ass out if she doesn't get in line.