a dehumidifier question.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ganJaXTokEr, Jul 1, 2006.

1. does anyone here at all know how to make a home made dehumidifer. I want to lower the humidity in my room and cant afford a real one at the moment. its a closet sized area, not really big, so i dont think it should be hard to lower

2. good question. id like to know too.

3. i guess, you get some tubing(prefably copper) run cold water through lots of coials. water will condense. TBug

4. or use desicant bags.

Seriously, this stuff drys stuff out. :D

Similar to the small sillica gel bags u get with new electrical stuff, are alumina sillicate / calcium sulfate pellets used in industrial air dryers. http://www.drierite.com/catalog3/page4c.cfm?img_scale=200

(Google for desiccant pellets / media)

These preformed filters are great - they change colour when they need regenerating (drying out)
    [​IMG]
    These are from sargent welch & are $40 or so = about £1.30 uk :p

Basically, all u need to do is blow air through them = wet air in, dry air out.
    But strategically placed bags of desiccant will help dehumidify any space if u don't use inlet fans.
    For a closet size grow area, buy 5-10 kilo of loose desiccant & fill / knot some socks with the pellets.
    Place them on a radiator or out in the sun to dry out now & then - when the colour of the pellets changes.
    Maybe an idea to leave some pellets in an open jar so u have an indication of their saturation level?

Maybe u could sandwich cheap loose stuff between 2 inlet panel fliters for extra dry inlet air?
    For my car at home, I filled a pillowcase with the stuff & threw it in the boot = no more steamed up windows! - u get the idea.

It is classed as an irritant & respiratory sensitiser, so read the data that comes with it & WASH UR HANDS after using it - wear a fine particle mask with loose desiccant pls :wave:

5. they sell them for like $20. im sure they could keep a closet dry.