A Defense of Religion

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Postal Blowfish, Sep 30, 2010.

1. #21 Postal Blowfish, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2010
    No, this is the kind of statement I was looking for. Will you help me explore it? I have questions.

Do you expect the human species to die before the knowledge can be known? Even if you do, do you expect every species in the universe to die before it can know everything? It is possible to know everything?

edit:
    I'm thinking about this. The only place where it is truly possible to know everything is at the end. Then the problem is: what if there is no end?

2. Damn that edit blew my mind bro.

To answer you, no. Nothing in the universe could ever truly know everything. I believe in the end we might find all the answers but... what if in the end there is nothing? You die and thats it. No afterlife. No reincarnation. No nothing. Just the true end?
    Personally I really hope to go to my own "paradise" but thats more of a dream then anything. But, ey, everyone needs to hope for something. The funny thing is, we will find out what will happen. Everyone and everything dies sooner or later. Even stars and planets. Maybe even the universe.

3. I'm totally sympathetic with the materialist concepts of death. I hope I have the time before I die to create a pleasant place to end my mental existence before I die. I still have a question, however:

Should I call the things we can never truly know real?

4. I wouldn't think so.

I have a question for you good sir. When people as you what you believe in, what do you say to them?

5. I believe in what I know.

6. Good answer because I usually say the same thing. Sometimes I like to say "Me". People always look at me weird when I say that.;)

7. Guess who shares that similitude and it rhymes with treligious treaple

8. If you mean to make me understand, then make me understand. If you know more than I, than teach me.

9. Can't teach a glass of water to add more water when its full

10. I ask and you simply refuse. A metaphor for understanding.

11. What cause does greater understanding have that prevents me from understanding it?

12. I was called a fraud for this post.

I request that the person who said that put me on trial.

If what I have said is false, then please make a case.

13. lol I never said what you said is false because its what you believe so it must be right. Silly boy :p

14. Does this mean you consider my words a fraud?

15. Does this mean you do not understand English? Clearly your judgment is clouded in your responses I wonder what might be the cause. Hmmm one of life mysteries lol

16. This unfortunately continues your pattern. You have no reply, so it is now time for you to condescend to me. You mentioned in another thread that I was somehow engaging in dramatic acting. Apply that thinking to what you have done. Here as with there, all I have done is ask questions. You seek any opportunity not to answer any questions.

Do you even know any answers? I am starting to suspect you know far less than you are convinced you know.

I am opening toward the unknowable. The conditions for ultimate knowledge appear to be very strict. But now my question is, what makes it so that you or anyone else knows more than I do? If you think you know better than me, then how do you make the measurement? Does it even involve looking outside yourself? Do you simply ask, is this my belief? Without question?

17. How can you be open to the unknowable when you have already created it? Here's some tissue :eek:

18. Depends. Do you feel that to truly know something, you must be able to understand why it exists?

19. You need to stop trolling, If you would like to engage in converstaion do so..
    If your here just to poiint a finger and call names move on..
    postal has made a good case.

Slinger

20. First off, good post man. Secondly, you speak of God as a creator and then you really don't speak of it again until the end so I am going to assume that creation is the only role of this God. If this God has a greater role of this then questions of the morality of God and his creation come into question but I am going to leave that out of it.

"In the beginning, let us suppose there was god and then came the universal atom."
    This sentence alone leaves me wondering, if you suppose that first came God then came the atom, this raises two dilemmas in my head:
    1. Who created God?
    2. If God created the atom, and all matter is composed of them then what is God made of?
    These two questions lead to two further questions:
    1. If God has a creator then doesn't that defeat the purpose of calling him God?
    2. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Humans have a natural drive towards innovation, we always want to make things easier for ourselves and natural situations such as hunting, relocation, weather patterns would have made it necessary for some form of linguistics without the need of divine persuasion.

"Many of the most cynical people I've spoken to credit religion with terrorism and atrocity, but it is my position that religion is not to blame for those things."
    Many people who are cynical of religion are because religion has claimed so many lives. If you morally agree that murder would be the worst/one of the worst thing that you could do to someone then religion takes the cake.
    Here is an estimated death toll in the name of World religions:
    The Teapot Atheist: Anonymous wanted a body count total, so he will get one
    Theism: 2,229,074,100
    Atheism/Other:95,000,000/45,000,000 (Stalin killed 50,000,000 roughly, but his beliefs/intentions are disputable)

Personally I think it would be hard to argue from your stance just by looking at numbers like that. It should also be easy to understand where people who are critical of religion are coming from.

Firstly, good and evil are human creations designed to help us interact. Morality is something that evolves and is constructed within societies. Punishment and reward are also created within the society, and are defined by the morality of the society creating them. This is seen in social animals all the time.
    Evolution of morality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A society where selfishness is embraced would be a society in which every member of is free to thin the herd. I consider such a situation unsustainable."
    It will only be embraced if the society is willing to remain unsustainable. This goes against the natural will to survive though.

"religion exists partly to educate the people on the merit of good deeds. Rules were needed and an authority was needed to enforce them."
    If I had to defend Religion used as authority argument I'd go about it like this:
    Why do you need rules? Because there is chaos. By conforming a group to rules what are you doing? Creating a society. What does a society need? A leader and an agenda.
    Now think about a place where there is a need for power, an abundance of space, an abundance of resources. A long time ago in a World without religion sounds about right. So how do you convince a group of people that are ignorant and have more than they need to conform to your rules and do your bidding? The same way you convince your kid to stay in bed, you
    A. Say the Boogeyman is out to get him if he doesn't sleep.
    B. Bribe him, but how do you bribe a society that has all that it needs? You create an external reward system.
    The Book of Eli depicts religion as a weapon pretty well I think. It really does come down to individuals and lust for power though.
    Neat demo on the expansion of Religion.
    History of Religion
    I really think we will never know unless we actually observe it for ourselves.

As for spirituality, I think a lot of people are bullshitters and/or hipsters and I refuse to believe things that offer no evidence. The truth should never be ashamed of honest inquiry. So keep at it bro.

But I hope we can come to the conclusions that morality is a social construct and does not require God or Religion.

Here is a good read about morality, theft and the invisible god.
    Ring of Gyges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia